LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Leaks, leaks, and more leaks!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-07, 11:11 AM
kilo400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaks, leaks, and more leaks!

To start, after reading through all the great informaton on this board (and others) I decided to take a stab at doing the manintainance on my 1997 LS400 myself.

I changed oil and filter yesterday - what a breeze. While I was under the car, I decided to inspect for leaks, etc. Especially since I found a couple drops of something (suspect power steering).

A couple weeks ago, I noticed a whine while turning. Checked PS level and it was low so I filled it up. A few days ago, found drops of fluid on the garage floor. The drops appeared to be coming from the area where the oil filter is.

Prior to this weekend (and my oil change that I had planned on doing) I read everything I could find on this board and others regarding power steering (in fact that is how I came to believe it was power steering). I found the threads on the PS Solenoid and cleaning the filter as well as flushing the PS system.

When I got under the car to change oil, I noticed 4 leaks (See attached pictures).

I believe 2 of them are from the power steering, the 3rd is ATF (at least I think that is the ATF pan in the middle of the car), and the 4th comes from a rubber hose that looks like it comes out of the radiator.

Since I found the threads talking about dirty filters causing too much preasure in the PS lines, I thought I would give taking the solenoid off and cleaning the filters a try. Problem, I can't get that damn nut loose. I tried channel locks and the chisle and hammer to tap it loose. All I seem to be doing is buggering up the nut by chipping the metal off. I am trying to loosen by turning the nut in the direction from drivers side tire to front of car to passenger side tire.

Anyone have any tips as to getting the solenoid off? Also, from the attached pics, am I on the right track?

I am thinking the PS leak would be from dirty filters since it seems to be coming out of the compression fittings on the hoses. Makes sense that too much preasure could cause this.

Not sure what is the cause of the ATF leak - if in fact that is what it is.

Also, there is a rubber hose that looks like it comes out of the radiator or close to there. It drips a lot for a little while after I turn the car off. Not sure if this is normal?

Thanks in advance for any help and thanks for all the help I gained just by reading these boards!

-- the solenoid pic is on this message, other pics on following messages.

1997 LS 400
130,000 miles
Attached Thumbnails Leaks, leaks, and more leaks!-ps-solenoid-large-medium-.jpg  
Old 11-18-07, 11:12 AM
kilo400
Driver School Candidate

Drivers side compression fitting leak.
Attached Thumbnails Leaks, leaks, and more leaks!-ps-leak-drivers-side-large-medium-.jpg  
Old 11-18-07, 11:12 AM
kilo400
Driver School Candidate

Passenger side compression fitting leak
Attached Thumbnails Leaks, leaks, and more leaks!-ps-leak-passenger-side-large-medium-.jpg  
Old 11-18-07, 11:13 AM
kilo400
Driver School Candidate

ATF Leak - at least that is what I think.
Attached Thumbnails Leaks, leaks, and more leaks!-atf-leak-large-medium-.jpg  
Old 11-18-07, 11:14 AM
kilo400
Driver School Candidate

Leak coming out of rubber hose - suspect coolant.
Attached Thumbnails Leaks, leaks, and more leaks!-coolant-overflow-large-medium-.jpg  
Old 11-18-07, 11:20 AM
Bear60
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The bottom photo shows normal water drain tube from the evaporator. The ATF looks like a little overflow when topping off the ATF or the dip stick is not all of the way down.
The others are a leaking hig-pressure PS hose.
Old 11-18-07, 12:04 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

the main leak is coming from the High Pressure Hose from the power steering pump to the rack.

dealer price (from LTuned parts) is approx. ~$250+install.
Old 11-18-07, 12:17 PM
kilo400
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a bunch guys. Glad to at least validate what I was thinking; and very happy that it is just a drain tube for water - 1 less leak!

You may be right about the ATF leak. The engine is cold and the dipstick reads at the top of the hot area. Not sure who overfilled but should should I drain some out of the pan that is in the middle of the car?

~$250 + labor to replace the high pressure hoses? Not too bad, but a kick in the shins when you spend the entire day trying to get that damn nut loose and would like the satisfaction of doing something yourself . Not to mention I would suspect that labor would be a good chunk of money as well. Would this be something I could try?

Also, it looks like there are 2 hoses, one on the drivers side and one on the passenger side (at least there are leaks coming from both sides). Would both need to be replaced? Or is it just 1 hose that connects to both sides via the compression fittings?

The car has a lot of miles on it - only 10K from me and I am not sure if the previous owner did proper maint. on it. Should I still think about flushing the power steering and cleaning the filter on the solenoid? If so, is there any specialty tool the mechanics use to get that nut loosened?

Thanks again...

Last edited by kilo400; 11-18-07 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-18-07, 01:26 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by kilo400
Thanks a bunch guys. Glad to at least validate what I was thinking; and very happy that it is just a drain tube for water - 1 less leak!

You may be right about the ATF leak. The engine is cold and the dipstick reads at the top of the hot area. Not sure who overfilled but should should I drain some out of the pan that is in the middle of the car?

~$250 + labor to replace the high pressure hoses? Not too bad, but a kick in the shins when you spend the entire day trying to get that damn nut loose and would like the satisfaction of doing something yourself . Not to mention I would suspect that labor would be a good chunk of money as well. Would this be something I could try?

Also, it looks like there are 2 hoses, one on the drivers side and one on the passenger side (at least there are leaks coming from both sides). Would both need to be replaced? Or is it just 1 hose that connects to both sides via the compression fittings?

The car has a lot of miles on it - only 10K from me and I am not sure if the previous owner did proper maint. on it. Should I still think about flushing the power steering and cleaning the filter on the solenoid? If so, is there any specialty tool the mechanics use to get that nut loosened?

Thanks again...
the hose in question is routed from the bottom of the pump (pass side) down, then around/under the engine and connects to the rack on the Drivers side of the rack (i think).

i had to do the same thing on my old 95 back like 2ish years ago, its a decent bit of a PITA but it works

couple tips:
-have small hands, i DONT but they would help
-use a siphon pump or turkey baster and get the bulk of the fluid out of the reservoir.
-clean the screen on the solenoid, you've got the filter drained so you may as well.

good luck
Old 11-18-07, 05:49 PM
Harky
Driver School Candidate

-The rack solenoid has regular thread. "Righty-tighty, Lefty-loosey"
-Your 2nd and 3rd photos are of leaks in the high pressure PS line. This is a symptom of blockage in the solenoid screen (pressure build-up). This line will need to be replaced to solve the leakage.
-Your 4th photo is the dip stick/fill tube on the tranny. This "leakage" may be from a recent attempt to top up the ATF or it may be a leak in the o-ring going into the tranny.
-Your 5th (last) photo is the line from the radiator drain valve. Check to see that it is tight. It should not leak coolant.

Last edited by Harky; 11-18-07 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-18-07, 06:40 PM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

I would change the oil again and replace that nasty FRAM oil filter with a k&n or Toyota OEM.
Old 11-18-07, 06:50 PM
alsalih
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hold on there before you start replacing things. First off, the second and third picture is the high pressure power steering hose as noted, however what you are seeing is engine oil residue from doing engine oil filter replacement as the oil filter is right above the hose and tends to soak it during filter change. Mine looks just like that I try to clean it as best I can after an oil change. The fourth picture is where the trans dip stick installs and if you or someone before has added trans fluid then it will likely run down the sides of the tube to the lowest point which is what you’re seeing. Finally the last picture is of the drain tube for the radiator and as noted by Harky it should not have fluid coming out. Either the valve above (for draining the radiator) is not closed tight or the o-ring in the valve is leaking and needs replacement.
Old 11-18-07, 07:13 PM
kilo400
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the insight...

Harky, I understand righty tighty, lefty loosy, however, I do not understand which is right or left. Is right towards the passenger side or driver side? I could have very well spent all day trying to tighten it more!!

Alsalih - You are right, oil does drain all over the hose from the filter change, however, this was leaking well before the oil change and I checked it prior to changing the oil. Plus it is leaking on the passenger side as well.

Sounds like I definately need to replace the high pressure steering hose as well as clean out the solenoid - probably do a power steering flush as well.

Secondly, I will check to make sure that the radiator drain valve is not leaking.

As far as the ATF - as this is the first time I have done any work myself, I am not sure when ATF has been added. I checked the dip stick and it is too high, could too much ATF cause too much pressure and blow the o-ring? I will most likely drain all the ATF from the pan and change the o-ring while I am at it.

Now the Fram filter - would it be all that bad too use the filter until next oil change where I can put in a K&N or Toyota OEM? The Fram is a high mileage filter and picked it up at walmart with the mobile one. Thought it would be okay.

Thanks a ton guys...
Old 11-18-07, 08:31 PM
ttyR2
Driver

NAPA Gold filters are top quality as well. They are all I use.
Old 11-19-07, 12:20 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by kilo400
Thanks for the insight...

Harky, I understand righty tighty, lefty loosy, however, I do not understand which is right or left. Is right towards the passenger side or driver side? I could have very well spent all day trying to tighten it more!!

Alsalih - You are right, oil does drain all over the hose from the filter change, however, this was leaking well before the oil change and I checked it prior to changing the oil. Plus it is leaking on the passenger side as well.

Sounds like I definately need to replace the high pressure steering hose as well as clean out the solenoid - probably do a power steering flush as well.

Secondly, I will check to make sure that the radiator drain valve is not leaking.

As far as the ATF - as this is the first time I have done any work myself, I am not sure when ATF has been added. I checked the dip stick and it is too high, could too much ATF cause too much pressure and blow the o-ring? I will most likely drain all the ATF from the pan and change the o-ring while I am at it.

Now the Fram filter - would it be all that bad too use the filter until next oil change where I can put in a K&N or Toyota OEM? The Fram is a high mileage filter and picked it up at walmart with the mobile one. Thought it would be okay.

Thanks a ton guys...
i prefer either Toyota OEM, or Mobil1(though it isnt worth the extra $$), or my personal favorite, Bosch.

and to the person who suggested that its oil residue on the PS hose, the hose ends are on OPPOSITE sides of the car, and the oil filter isnt leaking in any way (notice how its nice and bright orange).

Quick Reply: Leaks, leaks, and more leaks!