LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Size (and snow) matters

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-07, 11:20 PM
Sanpete
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Size (and snow) matters

I'm considering trying all-weather tires for my 98 LS with stock 16" wheels, ones like the Nokian WRs that are supposed to actually work in snow (unlike most "all-weather" tires). I was thinking a good size would be 215/65/16, only 1.4% bigger than the OE tires (225/60/16), but with what would in theory be the extra comfort and snow traction of the higher and narrower profile.

Anyone use that size or see any reason it wouldn't be a good idea? I'm not concerned about sporty handling.

Anyone want to claim that some other all-weather tire would do well enough in (real) snow? I think the Nokians are a bit pricey.

(And, anyone able to put to rest the rumors here and elsewhere that the ECT snow mode does anything besides stay out of first gear? The manual is mysterious, and some here speak as though it also affects shift points or something.)
Old 11-03-07, 11:27 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

depends on how much snow you have. no idea where you are but if i had any decent amount of snow id def. run a dedicated set of winter tires.

and theres not real reason to run a different size, 225/60 is fine. im not well versed in snow tire ideology but the difference between 215/65 and 225/60 is minute.

Snow Mode engages the car (from a start) in 2nd gear and controls how fast teh vehicle accelerates in all gears (so you dont get into 3rd gear and have stupid wheelspin)
Old 11-03-07, 11:48 PM
Evil Twin
Driver School Candidate

I always use snow tires in the winter. You have a nice car why not consider it an investment? I spent $400 for tires that have kept me from having to go through the hassle of having my car towed out of a snow bank, sliding into curbs, hitting another car, and having to deal with the insurance company and rising insurance cost. Also the knowledge that I haven't ever gotten stuck once in 21 years of driving with snow tires makes me feel more confident and less stressed out when I have to drive in it. I guess the best way to describe it is that a good set of snow tires make it feel like you are driving in summer in the rain. Yeah they are not good for ultimate grip and they are noisy but for me it is only for about 3-4 months and I get to look forward to the really sticky summer tires come spring!
Old 11-04-07, 12:16 AM
Sanpete
Rookie

PD, do you recall your source on the snow mode? I've yet to find anything authoritative on this, other than a report of a call to a dealer whose tech claimed it did nothing but skip first gear. I'd hope it does what you say as well.

ET, the Nokians are reportedly quite good in snow, if not quite Blizzak-like. I've managed pretty well in central Utah (6,000 feet up) with cheap all-weathers and FWD; I'm hoping I can manage with RWD and really good all-weathers that are rated for real snow.
Old 11-04-07, 12:51 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

cant remember source, 95% likely i learned it on here somewhere
Old 11-04-07, 04:11 AM
Evil Twin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sanpete
ET, the Nokians are reportedly quite good in snow, if not quite Blizzak-like. I've managed pretty well in central Utah (6,000 feet up) with cheap all-weathers and FWD; I'm hoping I can manage with RWD and really good all-weathers that are rated for real snow.

Look for the snowflake on the mountain symbol. They have much better grip in the snow than M+S rated tires. I have used Blizzak in the past but was not that impressed with them, don't get me wrong they were better than most all season tires but did not live up to the hype, they also claim that when the winter part of the tire wears out you can use them for the summer, I tried that after 3 years of winter only use (I normaly get 5-6 years on snows). They went from half worn to bald in 5 months about 8 thousand miles. I can't understand why tire companies try to make us think that a tire will work good at 20 degrees and 90 degrees. Heat kills a snow tire and a summer tire never sticks in the winter. I feel stupid for wasting the money on them. I will always buy real snows from now on. How can the tire companies claim that they can make something that works in both without compromise? Sorry for the rant!
Old 11-04-07, 11:40 AM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I will not use Blizzaks because the good tread is for only 1/2 of the tire's tread depth--a complete joke and waste of money.

There is no other tire on the market comparable to the Nokian WR for all-weather capability. I have used both WRs as well as dedicated snow tires. While the WRs are just a step below a good-quality dedicated snow tire (more like a fractional step, really), they are leagues ahead of an "all-season" tire without the "mountain & snowflake" rating.

For snow tires you want to go as skinny as you can--if choosing between 2 comparable sizes, go with the skinnier one. It makes a huge difference in plowing through snow.
Old 11-04-07, 09:04 PM
Sanpete
Rookie

That's weird about the Blizzaks. I could see making only the outer 50% winter tread, with the idea that you need at least half the tread to be effective in snow. But they ought to point out that the last 50% isn't worth much rather than pretending it's good for summer.

I wonder how narrow you can go on stock rims. 70s would be 30 mm narrower. Wonder how 70s would do for summer. Ought to feel soft, I suppose.
Old 11-04-07, 10:33 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sanpete
PD, do you recall your source on the snow mode? I've yet to find anything authoritative on this, other than a report of a call to a dealer whose tech claimed it did nothing but skip first gear. I'd hope it does what you say as well.

Its pretty much common knowledge. Try flooring it in snow mode, and while you are still flooring it, switch back to to normal, or POWER mode, and you will notice the difference.
Old 11-04-07, 11:00 PM
Evil Twin
Driver School Candidate

I would say just go down one size to 215/65-16. You won't wind up with something that handles like a bread truck then. I have Michelin X-Ice and can out accelerate most everything in the snow. I only use the snows from about Thanksgiving weekend till the end of March where I am in NY. I also drive much slower in the winter so my snows last usually 5-6 years. $400 for tires spread over 6 years is cheap. I live at the end of a 1/2 mile hilly dirt road that is always cleared of snow last (if at all) and when my girlfriend or buddies come over they usually have to park their cars at the end of the road (along with most of my neighbors non all-wheel drive cars) and have me pick them up. I work evenings and would hate to have to walk up the hill at 2 in the morning.
Mount your snows on the stock rims and look for a cheap set of 17's or 18's for your summer tires.
Old 11-05-07, 05:46 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Lots of good information in this thread!

I do not know of a good reason to depart from the 225/60-16 tire size for 93-00 LS400s when buying snow tires. While 215/65-16 might be slightly better in heavy snow, breaking power on dry roads will be slightly reduced.

As others have said, any tire with the mountain/snowflake logo on the side wall will provide excellent results in heavy snow. Buy an extra set of wheels and use the snow tires only during the winter months - Thanksgiving week to mid March here in the midwest U.S.

I have been extremely happy with Bridgestone Blizzaks over the past four winters and will buy another set when they wear out -- it is hard to believe how many stuck SUV's I've blazed past with them. From my experience, they are unusually quiet for a snow tire too -- I've driven LS400s through 17 winters in a lot of heavy snow in northern Iowa.

My Blizzaks currently have right at 20,000 miles (I keep track in my log book) on them and I am surprised that I am going to get one more winter out of them - a total of about 25,000 miles. They are currently down to between 2/32 and 3/32 from the treadwear bars which are about 5/32 from the deepest part of the tire groove.

I use summer - not all season - tires on my summer wheels. Many people don't know that all season tires were not standard on the LS400 - they were a no cost option and generally detract from the car's handling.
Old 11-05-07, 08:59 PM
Sanpete
Rookie

I suppose I'd give up a bit of braking (which is pretty good on an LS) for better snow handling (which is more of a problem). The Nokians I'm considering appear not to be available in a suitable size higher than a 65 series, in any case. I'm trying to figure out the economics, costs of extra wheels, or having tires mounted twice a year, etc. It might be cost effective to just get the Nokians, which are supposedly good for 50K miles, and are said to be fairly quiet too. I'm just getting started, though, and may completely change my mind before I'm done.
Old 11-06-07, 05:44 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

all i have to add is that is always better to have a set of stock wheels with winter tires to install when winter comes. buy a nice set of summer wheels and tires for nice weather. the cost evens out after a while as you don't need tires very often at all when you're switch between two sets. you also get to havea really good looking set of wheels for summer with HIGH perforamcne tires instead of just all season junkers.

it's definitely not worht paying to have tires mounted and dismounted twice a year. every time a tire is mounted and dismounted, they become slightly damaged. the tire machine stretches the beads to accomplish the process. over time this weakens the structure of the tire.
Old 11-06-07, 12:17 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

BTW, I'm not advocating going smaller than the stock tire width for your car--just not going with a wider one.

Generally speaking for cars where multiple tire sizes were an option, you put on snow tires in the narrowest size that was STANDARD on the car. For the LS, it only came with 1 size per given model year.

Just don't go wider than stock, that's all.
Old 11-07-07, 11:24 AM
Sanpete
Rookie

Tirerack offers the slightly narrower 215/65/16 as an alternate suggestion for the 98 LS in winter tires, so I'll probably go with that size if it's available in my choice of tire. Right now I'm swinging more to the touring side of the all-season spectrum, for the quiet. The Turnanzas that have done so well in the Tirerack surveys have been phased out, apparently replaced by Turanza Serenity tires, for which there is only limited information, especially in regard to snow handling.

I really do want to get one set of tires for year-round use because, among other things, the weather is hard to predict (!) and I only have one car, and every winter I drive from central Utah to Southern California for a few weeks, which really requires a good all-weather tire, unless I'm going to change tires midway.

Quick Reply: Size (and snow) matters