LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Have you ever used spring clamps to lower?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-07, 07:32 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you ever used spring clamps to lower?

I had some leftover clamps that I had used on a previous car. The front wheel well was looking a little too gappy (sp), so I installed them. I made sure to measure the before and after height from the ground to the wheelwell. When I got done the car body in the front was lowered 1 and 1/8th inches. It now looks alot better with my 245's on. I guess this is similar to cutting the springs in a way.
Old 11-03-07, 07:47 PM
JBrewster
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never heard of spring clamps. Sounds ghetto.
Old 11-03-07, 07:54 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JBrewster
I've never heard of spring clamps. Sounds ghetto.
It is ghetto....but it works and they cost nothing.
Old 11-03-07, 07:56 PM
JBrewster
Driver

Ghetto mods FTL.
Old 11-03-07, 08:19 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I havent used the clamps, but I know which ones you are talking about and I know of some people who have used them on different cars. One of the biggest problems with these things is that they break loose very easily and since they are under so much pressure, wind up doing some major damage under the wheel well. Yes they are a cheap mod, and if you don't drive the car too often, then I guess it is ok,, but for a daily driver/primary car (especially one in which parts cost your first born, mortgage, etc) I would stay away from them.

Little different, but on the same lines. I had the spring expanders on my car. When I first dropped my car I was already running a wheel which was 1" too big(profile wise)and was rubbing in the rear at highway speed. Just needed to lift the car a little until I could change those tires to the correct profile. Those expanders did the job and stoped the rubbing, however my car performed like a low rider, and felt horrible. Bottom line,, you get what you pay for. My advice,,, stay away from them. Dont be surprised when you hear all kinds of noise and your car is riding lop-sided because the clamps pooped loose while you were riding, or even took something out when they did pop loose. Not judging you,, have seen it happen.

Last edited by trukn1; 11-03-07 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-03-07, 08:24 PM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

using spring clamps are just as bad as cutting your springs.
Old 11-03-07, 08:37 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Spring clamps are for morons.
Old 11-03-07, 11:31 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

no offense but that sounds like one of the stupidest ideas i have ever heard of.

reminds me of people who do their susp. without spring compressors and just take the top nut off and let it "BANG" apart in the garage. (no lexkost, not your way.)
Old 11-03-07, 11:53 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Alright guys, all I wanted was a VERY quick fix to wheel gap. I happened to remember that I had those clamps in the garage. Would you rather spend $0 to lower it immediately, or $250+ time to wait for the springs to come in the mail and then have them installed? All I needed was 2 9/16th wrenches, channel locks, free clamps, and patience, done. Money spent=$0, Piece of mind that the LS is over an inch lower in the front and lookin' good=priceless.

Remember, I can always take them off in minutes........unlike if you did it the right way replacing springs, shocks-struts.
Old 11-04-07, 12:53 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

yea, but they can also (and have often) break at any time and cause a *%&#load of damage.

i prefer to do things properly ONCE, not jury-rig a solution.
Old 11-04-07, 01:07 AM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
yea, but they can also (and have often) break at any time and cause a *%&#load of damage.

i prefer to do things properly ONCE, not jury-rig a solution.
Pure, I like the fact that you have alot of opinions on CL, (you must be a Pisces like me , I hate being a Pisces BTW), but all I can say is it is nearly impossible to break a Grade 8 bolt, under any circumstance. And that is what I have holding the springs down with. Besides, they were already on a car for 3+ years before and they never broke.

Im not a *****, Ive done construction for 12 years and I know what Im doing to be able to hold down some compression from an auto spring, ***** compared to heavy equipment.
Old 11-04-07, 01:07 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

actually im an aquarius

and i can show you over half a dozen Grade8 bolts snapped, sheared, and twisted that would change your mind. all were pulled out of our various cars. (and no, none came out of my old LS after it was in an accident)
Old 11-04-07, 05:20 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dude,, grade 8 bolt is a very effective way to secure what you did, but impossible to break,,,,NOT!!!! This is a forum, and you asked for opinions so don't take this as anyone attacking you. Even you know, this this is a jury-rigged solution, you have even admitted it yourself.. Yes it will get the job done, and may even last for awhile, but I have personally seen these thing snap loose on several of my friends cars, and it has caused thousands of dollars worth of damage. Everything from completely sheering of the mounts for the assembly, cutting brake lines, SHATTTERING rotors, to completely punching a hole THRU BOTH of the sidewalls on a tire. True the bolts you have holding it down are tough but yes, even grade 8 bolts snap, and when the do, it is pretty vicious. However the main problem lies, not within your bolt,, but the clamp itself. In alot of the cases I have personally seen, yes the bolt held, but the clamp itself shattered like a piece of glass and all hell broke loose.
Personally, I would wait, and invest the money to do it correctly. Yeah, it is a pain to do so but the peace of mind you will gain will be worth it. Riding down the street, wondering it today is gonna be the day that these things snap is just not for me.

Pice/Arian here BTW(pices and Aries 3/21, day of changeover and I do have qualities from both signs), so not only am I opinionated, but I am also very stubborn too. LOL!!! Please consider the advice that is given here, especially on a question in which you asked for opinions to be given. There are some very knowledgeable people here, and our prime concern is for your safety.

Last edited by trukn1; 11-04-07 at 05:26 AM.
Old 11-04-07, 11:37 AM
ttyR2
Driver

Spring clamps are a classic JC Whitney accessory.
Old 11-04-07, 08:04 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well atleast it is better than cutting the springs.

Quick Reply: Have you ever used spring clamps to lower?