LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Well I finally replaced the propeller shaft assy - '95

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-07, 03:50 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Well I finally replaced the propeller shaft assy - '95

After dealing with an annoying vibration affected by speed and throttle pressure for a year now, I finally replaced my entire propeller shaft assembly. This includes the two segments, the support bearing, and the flexible couplings. It was expensive, let me tell you, but it seems to have eliminated 95% of what I was feeling. To get the remaining 5%, I think I'll have to replace the mounts, which is next on my agenda, although it may be a little while. Surprisingly, the old propeller shaft segments looked OK; there was a tad of corrosion on both segments, but they didn't look that bad. Also, the flexible couplings looked perfect. Obviously, however, it doesn't take much to warp or damage a driveshaft as mine was clearly faulty.
Old 11-03-07, 06:39 PM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Expensive? You probably didn't do the work yourself then.

Also, it's not the segments that cause 99% of problems. It's the bushings and the actual joint. Even though it might seem solid out of the car, it may not be doing the job when you're putting 250lb/ft of torque through it.

I replaced my driveshaft back in June. It wasn't too difficult at all. We did it in my friend's driveway using an impact wrench, some ratchets, sockets, wrenches and a hacksaw.

I bought the used driveshaft out of a 92 w/ 102k with a good-condition joint for $100 at a local junkyard.

So far it's been great, but I have yet to change my trans mount.
Old 11-03-07, 06:53 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

It had nothing to do with not doing the work myself. I bought a brand-new driveshaft assembly. I paid very little for labor, and a good deal less than retail for parts as a dealership employee.
Old 11-03-07, 07:01 PM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sonyman
It had nothing to do with not doing the work myself. I bought a brand-new driveshaft assembly. I paid very little for labor, and a good deal less than retail for parts as a dealership employee.
Oh yeah, I tried to get the price at my local dealer for a new one. They quoted me somewhere in the ballpark of $600-700.
Old 11-03-07, 07:03 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pfantom68
Oh yeah, I tried to get the price at my local dealer for a new one. They quoted me somewhere in the ballpark of $600-700.
List price for my dealership is $845.14 for the part, but I did not pay that.
Old 11-03-07, 07:26 PM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

I got the quote from a Toyota dealer, and even then he said probably around $700.

Expensive OEM parts and a lack of aftermarket is what sometimes makes me wanna just go buy a Trans Am and call it a day. But I just love my Lexus too much.
Old 11-03-07, 08:38 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

You paid $600!
Old 11-03-07, 08:41 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Thermactor
You paid $600!
I don't know if I should disclose exactly how much I paid or not so I won't, but I will say that out the door including labor with tax and everything, it was more than that. That's all I will say about the price.
Old 11-04-07, 03:45 PM
leavehard
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if I should disclose exactly how much I paid or not so I won't, but I will say that out the door including labor with tax and everything, it was more than that. That's all I will say about the price.
WTF ?
Is this a homeland security issue we're talkin' about... or a driveshaft ?
Old 11-04-07, 04:11 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by leavehard
WTF ?
Is this a homeland security issue we're talkin' about... or a driveshaft ?
No, I'm just not sure it would be prudent to disclose my discount.

Last edited by sonyman; 11-04-07 at 04:15 PM.
Old 11-04-07, 07:57 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Normal trade discount (jobber) is 10-20% some employees get 25% depending on the part.
Doesn't matter what the discount is that you get , as you are not going to give it to anyone here.
It will however allow some of us to find a baseline for some dealers to try and negotiate for more of a discount as the wholesale price is part dependent.
Old 11-04-07, 07:59 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

The going rate on the discount dealerships is $584 for the driveshaft, now I don't know what that includes.
Old 11-04-07, 09:04 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Well net price (my price) was $584.30, and the current labor rate is $50 per hour. I paid $40 per hour x2 hours, however, so it may depend on the type of service. Out the door it was a tad over $700 dollars.
Old 11-05-07, 08:44 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

did your vibrations come and go at freeway speeds? just kind like a slight vibe you could feel in the seat and see the shifter doing? i think mine is also in the driveline. are they not rebuildable? i doubt if the acual tubes are bad, it's got to be the u joints and bushings...
Old 11-05-07, 11:59 AM
Klierslc
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
did your vibrations come and go at freeway speeds? just kind like a slight vibe you could feel in the seat and see the shifter doing? i think mine is also in the driveline. are they not rebuildable? i doubt if the acual tubes are bad, it's got to be the u joints and bushings...
Not rebuildable without a machine shop. The U joint yokes are pressed in such a way that if you didn't have the machine, you might be able to get them out, but if you tried to put them back in, you would never get it to balance.....

Quick Reply: Well I finally replaced the propeller shaft assy - '95