LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

what to look for on a '98LS

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-07, 10:47 AM
Spacepig
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to look for on a '98LS

I will be looking at what sounds like a mint and reasonably priced '98 LS later this weekend. Because of distant location and competitive price, I may be forced to make a decision on the spot. Haven't paid much attention to the issues with these later LS's, as I assumed they were out of my range. Are there and weak spots/things to watch out for with one of these cars (like the p/s and dash issues w/ the 1 Gen. cars)?
Old 11-03-07, 11:36 AM
Spacepig
Rookie

Thanks. Price and mileage on this one look good; I'm just wondering about whether its being sold because of a subtle problem looming on the horizon. Starter should be pretty obvious, but what is the p/s stuck issue you refer to?
Old 11-03-07, 12:17 PM
Sanpete
Rookie

Make sure the 90K service (with timing belt/water pump change) has been done. That's a thousand bucks or so, and it's an interference engine, so there's a big chance of ruining the engine if the water pump seizes or the belt breaks for some other reason.
Old 11-03-07, 02:43 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

95-97 have many of the same power steering issues found on first gens, but rarely have the dash issues. the radio/climate LCDs still go out on occasion.
98-00 have a redesigned PS system so that it fails MUCH less often, dash still goes out but very very rarely. all 2nd gen cars are prone to strut bar bushings failing after ~90k mi but those are relatively cheap/simple to replace.
Old 11-03-07, 11:03 PM
Spacepig
Rookie

So car is not being shown until tomorrow, but I spoke to owner. Part of reduced price is because it needs a windshield (big crack, but doesn't leak). Owner says $1k to replace at dealer, less presumably at glass shop. I'll probably have to make a decision tomorrow (Sunday) without being able to confirm cost w/ shop or dealer. I'm a little skeptical about why he wouldn't have insurance deal with this, also about chances of getting a new windshield in without leaks, dash problems etc. Anyone had experience with this?
Old 11-03-07, 11:28 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

have either a dealer, or an independent (Luxury Motorworks for me ) do it using OEM glass.
Old 11-03-07, 11:35 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 98 LS windshield

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
have either a dealer, or an independent (Luxury Motorworks for me ) do it using OEM glass.
I heard some people complain that non-OEM is noisier.
Old 11-03-07, 11:40 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

it is.

previous owner of my car replaced my windshield with non-oem.
im not a fan.
Old 11-03-07, 11:57 PM
Sanpete
Rookie

Judging from comments here as well as conversations with LS owners, windshield replacement can increase wind noise, or worse, even with OEM glass, but several here have said they had no problems with it. Mine was replaced via a Toyota dealership (I'm told) before I got it and seems fine, but I have no before to compare to. Worth it to have it done at a dealer or where the dealers have it done. $1K should be more than enough, if I recall what the previous owner said right.

You have to have a rider with some insurance policies for windshields (very cheap). Not everyone carries comprehensive insurance. I'm leaning against it for mine--still have to price it. (Of course, SoCal is crawling with people selling cars they got at auction or wholesale and know nothing about, but who act like they grew up with the car, at first. I spoke with a guy in San Diego who assured me the 90K service had been done on the 98 he was selling because he found a bunch of maintenance papers in the glove compartment and he was sure one of them must have been for the 90K service, even though he had never actually looked.)

By the way, "mint" and cracked windshield don't go together very well. I saw a "mint" Acura RL last week that had dents, major scrapes, strong smoke smell, a big hole in a taillight, etc. The owner initially lied through his teeth about condition and history. Do a Carfax before you go see the car. Good luck!
Old 11-04-07, 10:35 AM
Spacepig
Rookie

You are confirming some of my own thoughts and fears on this car. Price and mileage made it sound like a one-shot deal, but between the windshield and possibly needing a timing belt (in brief conversation owner wasn't sure about that), it could eat up the potential price savings. Certainly won't buy w/o carfax. But I still plan to go see it today, in part just to drive a '98, as I've only driven earlier and later LS's.

As for insurance, conventional wisdom is to drop comprehensive after several years, although I've tended to keep it with more expensive cars. After all s***t happens, and it ain't cheap to fix. At least through my insco (GEICO) the extra cost isn't that much, although that being said, I probably won't get it when I land my Lexus, given that it will likely be 9-10 yrs. old.
Old 11-04-07, 10:48 AM
Jasbmo
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

look for the wood trim on the steering wheel, its a nice touch.
Old 11-05-07, 03:21 PM
415ua5
Rookie

yea i noticed some 98+ do not have wood trim steering wheels, i thoght this was standard on the newer models. that would definately be a selling point.
Old 11-05-07, 05:47 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by 415ua5
yea i noticed some 98+ do not have wood trim steering wheels, i thoght this was standard on the newer models. that would definately be a selling point.
wood/leather package was standard 99-00.
optional on 98.
Old 11-05-07, 06:40 PM
alsalih
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah if you have the wood steering on the 98 then you would also end up having the HID headlights. Spacepig, I'm actually going to sell my 98 soon, let me know if you're still looking and I can send you the specs on mine.
Old 11-05-07, 09:31 PM
Spacepig
Rookie

The '98 needing a windshield sold before I got there, so I'm still fishing.

Alsalih - I'm in no huge rush to buy, although I suspect I'll land something within a month or so. I'd certainly be interested in hearing about your car when you're ready to sell. I'm plenty impressed w/ the '95-97's, but all the Lex-heads I know are pushing me to hold out for a '98.

Quick Reply: what to look for on a '98LS