LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What is the absolute quietest, smoothest tire for a 2000 ls400 stock?

Old 10-21-07, 04:01 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by avalon42
...There should be a scientific study on cellular phones effectives on motor coordination and reflexes.
there has been. it showed that it reduced people to the reflexes and judgement of the average drunk driver. people on the phone are the same idiots doing 62 in the left lane in a 70 mph speed limit, making everyone behind them go crazy with road rage. **** like that needs to be getting ticketed and fined. they are the hazard on the road, not those of us doing 80!
Old 10-23-07, 06:47 PM
BCinDC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amen, brother!

Originally Posted by 19psi
there has been. it showed that it reduced people to the reflexes and judgement of the average drunk driver. people on the phone are the same idiots doing 62 in the left lane in a 70 mph speed limit, making everyone behind them go crazy with road rage. **** like that needs to be getting ticketed and fined. they are the hazard on the road, not those of us doing 80!
You can pick out the people on the phone a mile a way. Whenever there is someone driving like an idiot (like mall walking, but on a busy roadway), 9 out of 10 times, they are on the phone (the other time they are reading the paper, or talking to someone in the car...or just idiots). And hands-free isn't the issue, the notion of "multi-tasking" is fiction. People can't concentrate on two things at once, and most conversations require attention.

Sorry for the blast, but 19psi is absolutely correct, there have been studies, and the results were bad.

Back to the original topic my LS came with Bridgestone Turanza LS-V's and they were very, very quiet, with a great ride. Unfortunately, they are being phased out. I am hopeful that the Serenity's (mentioned by another poster, sorry forgot name) are the LS-V/Z successors. If they are, then they should be very quiet tires.

Bob
Old 01-22-08, 09:48 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

looking for all season tires shortly and want the same smooth quiet comfy ride, so lets give this thread a bump>>>>>
Old 01-22-08, 09:53 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stu
looking for all season tires shortly and want the same smooth quiet comfy ride, so lets give this thread a bump>>>>>
The Michelin Primacy MXV4 fits the bill perfectly. My next set will be that tire.
Old 01-22-08, 10:14 PM
Stu
Racer

Smile

Originally Posted by sonyman
The Michelin Primacy MXV4 fits the bill perfectly. My next set will be that tire.
I had a set of Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus that lasted 45,000 miles and they were nice, but my tire guy claims the Michelins are overpriced and you can get better tires for less money .... I would be more comfortable if the person who is making alternative suggestions is not the one trying to make a sale, if you get my meaning.

Some of the Bridgestone, Yokohama and Khumo tires seem to be highly rated, by Tire Rack .....
Old 01-22-08, 10:25 PM
waynesford
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a set of new Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires to replace my old tires (Michelin Energy MXV4s), and I can say that the Primacy tires deliver a very quiet and smooth ride. With the Primacy tires, my LS was a lot quieter at highway speeds.
Old 01-22-08, 11:32 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Bridgestone Turanzas.. awesome tires, very quiet, made specifically for large luxury sedans.
Old 01-23-08, 05:38 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

kumho solus. rides, handles, feels, just like a michelin primacy, yet costs half as much and balances better. i've installed tons of these on LS's , jaguars, range rovers, and other cars and have never heard a complaint. most people are pleasantly surprised that a tire they've never heard of and costs so little works as well as it does.
Old 01-23-08, 06:32 AM
Stu
Racer

kumho solus. rides, handles, feels, just like a michelin primacy, yet costs half as much and balances better. i've installed tons of these on LS's , jaguars, range rovers, and other cars and have never heard a complaint. most people are pleasantly surprised that a tire they've never heard of and costs so little works as well as it does.
see ..... thats what my tire guy was saying ! While I agree that Michelin tires ARE superb, and have used them for years and years on many vehicles ..... they cost WAY TO MUCH, are from what I have heard, not any better than many other and much less expensive tires.

The lesson is you don't always get what you pay for.
Old 01-23-08, 06:41 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

truth, kumho definitely gives more for the money than any other brand. they are excellent in all their types of tires, from off road tires to budget tires to racing tires.
Old 01-23-08, 06:53 AM
Stu
Racer

truth, kumho definitely gives more for the money than any other brand. they are excellent in all their types of tires, from off road tires to budget tires to racing tires.
So for a smooth quiet ride on a heavy LS400, you would advise on the Solus in particular ..... for an all season tire ?
Old 01-23-08, 07:53 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

absolutely. if I were in that market, that's the tire i'd buy, even if i were filthy rich! no sense in wasting money...
Old 01-23-08, 08:07 AM
Stu
Racer

Thanks,

I admit I am quite concerned ..... $250 is not a LOT extra to pay for good tires, but NOT BUYING Michelins might also mean getting 4 lousy tires on my car for 3 years - and I sure do NOT want to do that !
Old 01-23-08, 09:33 AM
eddievegas
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the Michelin Primacy MXV4's installed in November and I'm very happy with them. I ended up paying $600 OTD for four with full road hazard.

There is now a $60 MIR rebate for all Michelins. check out discounttire.com. Michelin also has a 30 day return policy that states that if you are not happy with your tires for any reason, you can return them for a full refund.

As they used to say in Data Processing (that's what it was called before MIS, IS and IT) about IBM: You'll never lose your job going with IBM.

The same rule applies for Michelins when selecting tires: You just can't go wrong with Michelins.

Good luck,

Eddie
Old 01-23-08, 10:20 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a performance Kumho SPT 18's on my LS.

My parents both have the stock size Kumho Solus on their LS400's.
It is a quiet touring tire on the LS.

They previously used Yokohama & Bridgestone Turanza tires. They ain't going back.

Last edited by damon; 01-23-08 at 12:46 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is the absolute quietest, smoothest tire for a 2000 ls400 stock?