LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What is the absolute quietest, smoothest tire for a 2000 ls400 stock?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-08, 07:45 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are welcome - I am going to see Tony this week to help diagnose a shimmy/vibration. While you are there, check out the Porsche's in the garage
Old 08-12-08, 10:25 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by omarg
don't judge people for talking on their cell phones in the car. Thats lame. I talk on my phone alot because of my work and I still give driving 100% priority.

i've heard the Primacy's are even better than the MXV4. They mxv4 is discontinued. I've heard good things of the kuhmo Solus as well.
lol i know this post is old but this is one of the dumbest things i heard on here
Old 08-14-08, 02:40 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by j stuff
lol i know this post is old but this is one of the dumbest things i heard on here
lol
second'd
Old 08-15-08, 08:43 AM
rrj_gamz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend recommended the Yokohama's so I bought the YK520. I believe they are only available at Discount Tire, but my friend, who has a 02 GS300 swears they are the best tires she's ever had...

Haven't driven down the tollway yet, but will this weekend...So far seem to be smooth...
Old 08-15-08, 01:05 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also need tires for my '99 as the Michelin Energy's are toast. The Primacy seems like the ones to go with - but what about these General Altimax HPs?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=Altimax+HP

On paper they seem to fit the bill - the survey results seem positive also, not to mention they're over $40 less per tire compared with the Primacys. The only thing I can see in the specs that is different is the treadwear - it's a little lower.

I posted in the tire forum asking about feedback on these but no one as responded.
Old 08-26-08, 06:59 PM
Tinggi
Driver

Default Quiet Tires

Had Michelin MXV4+, Michelin Pilot Sports and now Yokohama Avid V4s. Avid V4S are quietest of them all. Also best ride (for my liking).
Old 08-26-08, 07:49 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I've put Yokohama H and V's on a few family members cars. I found them quiet with reasonable performance. More so with the H series and these are less $$ too.

The Michelin's are ok, I just think that for the $$ there is a better tire. Mo-in-law has the Energy on her Accord and they are noisy. Keep in mind tires may have slight differences depending on the car where some may be quiet on one and noisy on another.
Old 08-27-08, 11:44 AM
heyhowyado
Pole Position

....LOL!....
Old 08-27-08, 05:59 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you can call me out all you want. I don't care. If you cant multi-task... sucks for you.

I think its pretty disrespectful to personally attack me though.

at least try to stay on topic.
Old 08-27-08, 07:23 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can find a shop with a Hunter GSP9700, have them do a proper road-force balance on your tires. They'll turn out SMOOTH as butter.
Old 08-28-08, 01:13 PM
atoyot
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by omarg
you can call me out all you want. I don't care. If you cant multi-task... sucks for you.

I think its pretty disrespectful to personally attack me though.

at least try to stay on topic.

good thread as i will need tires relatively soon.

In the mean time, i don't think anyone is personally attacking you, but criticizing what seems to be a pretty ignorant statement. It is not humanly possible to give 100% of your attention to driving while talking on the phone. Maybe 99% but not 100%. Just saying.

And in my opinion it has nothing to do with hands free or bluetooth or all that crap. It's your mind that is what causes accidents. When your mind is on a phone call you do not check your blind spots as regularly, don't maintain speed as well and a list of others.

I'm just sayin', not attacking.
Old 08-31-08, 12:41 AM
jasonburt
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Bridgestone Serenity bar none.
Old 07-28-09, 04:26 PM
fourthmeal
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Dredged from the past:

This thread is a bit old but I thought I'd add to it what I feel might be useful info:

I think I have discovered the absolute cheapest way to buy tires, safely and quickly.

1. Get a "Bing" account, used to be called Microsoft Cashback. And of course you will want a Paypal account to link it to. Being that both are free, should be easy for all members.

2. Do a basic search in Bing Cashback for something, anything really that will yield a "Search for it on eBay" link at the right side.

3. Once in eBay, notice the Cashback icon at the top, usually it is around 8% or so. So long as you see this, you are effectively shopping at an 8% discount.

4. Dig up a seller who sells tires on eBay. My go-to is without a doubt, Discount Tire Direct. You can search by brand, or size, or whatever you would like. Discount Tire Direct ships for free, so that's a bonus.

5. The tires should be very, very cheap compared with local stores, and since there is no tax typically, and shipping is free typically...you should end up with a sweet total price. Further, your cashback money will come to you in 60 days after you purchase them, virtually automatically.

I actually did this with my head unit, wheels, tires, and some other goodies...and the cashback coming to me is in the hundreds of dollars. More money to mod, I say!

Take care,

Lanson
Old 07-29-09, 04:55 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum.

I have a Live Bing ID & a Paypal account & still can't figure out how I am supposed to log on to Ebay to get the discount.
Worked fine when it was windows live??

Got it now. Worth 8% but kind of unwieldy?

Last edited by damon; 07-29-09 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-29-09, 02:28 PM
fourthmeal
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

eh, anything that pays me back and still gives me a good deal even before the cashback...I say a little pain is worth it!

Besides, you can do it quick now, right?

Quick Reply: What is the absolute quietest, smoothest tire for a 2000 ls400 stock?