LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Shhhhh

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-07, 01:48 PM
Sanpete
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shhhhh

Test drove a 97 LS base with 140K miles, my first time in a Lexus. Not as quiet as I expected, about the same as the 94 Buick LeSabre Limited I drove there in. The LS struts had been replaced a couple years ago, not sure if they're OEM (done at Precision Auto Import Repairs in Corona), so that might affect road noise. But the wind noise wasn't much different from the Buick either. Some kind of summer tires, not real noisy looking. The LS engine's noise was somewhat less than the Buick's. The Buick's a quiet car, but I've never thought of it as tomb-like or quiet as a cathedral and all the other things I had heard about the LS.

I assume I was expecting too much. The car was in good shape, accelerated and handled fine, but it didn't make me swoon. Or even want a goodnight kiss. I suppose I'll try another to compare. Was really hoping for more quiet, though.
Old 10-16-07, 03:07 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

an LS in proper shape shouldnt have ANY road noise (almost) with minimal wind noise.

my 95 was as you describe, deathly quiet. (until i started taking bits of exhaust off )
Old 10-16-07, 03:48 PM
Sanpete
Rookie

Even on the 91 Freeway? I heard and felt all the road imperfections, I thought. Maybe the suspension is shot, despite the new struts. Definitely heard the wind noise, though, which the suspension wouldn't affect. Maybe I think of death as quieter than most people. Maybe the Buick's quieter than I realized.
Old 10-16-07, 04:10 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The press long raved about the "tomb like silence". In reality, while it was quiet in the time, there were still many cars where the interior cabin noise was equal if not quieter. Wind noise... the only time I notice wind noise is a strong perpendicular crosswind. The foam weather seals also may be showing age if it's been subject to being left outside. At usual speeds and some above, I don't notice any other wind noise. Just the loud azzed tires I have on mine.

The engine isn't obvious unless I'm on it, it has a nice low V-8 rumble barely audible through the factory pipes. With a fresh suspension, this car handles and rides nicely even at stock height. The sample you drove at 140K miles is likely in need of many other suspension updates like bushings, tie rods, ball joints, engine/tranny mounts...
Old 10-16-07, 05:25 PM
Sanpete
Rookie

Yeah, I imagine the suspension, while it's quite serviceable, isn't what it used to be. Didn't notice any wind coming into the cabin, and the crosswinds weren't a problem--could also hear the traffic, other cars passing, etc. Which is all the safer, right? Oh well.
Old 10-16-07, 05:36 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I hear traffic and the roar of tires by cars around me. I've been meaning to use the db meter to take readings while driving but it is a low priority. There is sufficient attenuation that I am comfortable and don't think it is overly loud. YMMV there. The 430's like the UL's are quieter and the 460 about equal or a touch more.
Old 10-16-07, 06:13 PM
JBrewster
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 96 is very quiet. I don't even need to raise my voice to talk to the person next to me at 90mph. Quietest car I've ever been in.
Old 10-16-07, 08:53 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
I hear traffic and the roar of tires by cars around me. I've been meaning to use the db meter to take readings while driving but it is a low priority. There is sufficient attenuation that I am comfortable and don't think it is overly loud. YMMV there. The 430's like the UL's are quieter and the 460 about equal or a touch more.
I agree with you that the LS430 is tomb-quiet. Back when my LS was stock I could still tell the difference in noise levels between my car and my dads. You get in the LS430 and just drive with no music, you could seriously fall asleep.
Old 10-17-07, 07:09 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you are correct that the Buick is quieter than you thought. They are pretty much road cars like the LS (larger ones). Maybe the LS you drove had bad tires, etc. I bought Continental's once and did not like them - noisy. Before I modified my 95 it was exceedingly quiet. I had Michelin MXV4's on stock rims. It was so quiet I could hear the wiper blades move against the wind shield at highway speeds.

Either way I keep the LS for its reliability and I like it still.
Old 10-17-07, 07:23 AM
Zoraone
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Mom had a 1994 Roadmaster Estate Wagon and Dad still has a 1995 Roadmaster Limited Sedan. The Buicks are fine automobiles, but they are no where near as quite or better driving than my LS and my dads new '96 LS.

My grandfather has a 93 Lesabre and it is by far the worst riding/driving/enjoyable vehicle I've ever had the opportunity to drive.
Old 10-17-07, 10:13 AM
heyhowyado
Pole Position

my 99 ls 400 is amazingly quiet....there is zero engine noise....i don't think any car can keep all road noise out...
Old 10-18-07, 06:25 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

between my stereo, my exhaust and my noisy tires, i have no idea how quiet mine is, nor do i care. i'm not dead and i dont' want it to sound like i am.
aside from that, buicks are pretty quiet cars. the ls's tires may have been worn unevenly or the pavement you were on might have been noisy.
Old 10-18-07, 06:45 AM
Blavatsky
Pole Position

Yeah, I've definitely made mine louder w/ muffler delete, open air intake mod, and loud continentals, but it still is a relatively very quiet car, especially at high speeds. Fresh shocks going on soon should help.
Old 10-18-07, 08:32 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sanpete, stick with your 94 Buick LeSabre , the LS 400 is very over rated.
Old 10-18-07, 09:50 PM
Sanpete
Rookie

Don't have a Buick, but my parents' Buick was a useful comparison for noise and road isolation. If Buicks were reliable, I'd pay half as much and get one, because I'm less concerned about the finer points of handling than a quiet ride. But a Buick isn't generally so reliable.

I'm hoping to check out a 98 or 99 LS soon to see how much difference there is. Not that I can really afford one .... I wish the ES were more quiet; it's more my speed.

Quick Reply: Shhhhh