LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Car dead

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-07, 01:54 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car dead

I left my car parked overnight and it could not start the next day. First the power door locks didn't work, so I knew something was wrong. I had the battery changed about 2-3 months ago. I attempted to charge the battery a few times and tried to jump it earlier today. The car still doesn't even power up or crank. The lights don't come on, nothing runs. I can't get it started to get it out of the underground parking area I'm in. I've parked the car longer than this before with no problems.

Any ideas what this could be? Is there something draining the battery?

Also, I had my deck worked on on Friday and it had to be reconnected so maybe something is draining it from there?

Thanks.

Last edited by KilaWombat; 10-10-07 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-10-07, 02:20 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

check fuses/relays/fusible links
Old 10-10-07, 05:45 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

finally got it jump started and got the battery tested. starts ok for now, we'll see after he car sits for a little bit.
Old 10-10-07, 10:38 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Its probably the battery. I had this happent o me with a brand new battery only 2 months after I bought it. Sometimes you just get defective ones.
Old 10-10-07, 11:23 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Have the battery tested. Sometimes they just plain go south overnight...that was what happened with mine back in August.
Old 12-23-07, 03:19 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

Hey guys, I'm still having this problem. I exchanged the battery for a new one and the same result, after several days...it dies. I had the deck rewired so I have a separate switch to cut off the power to the deck. What else can be the problem...alternator etc? I'm in the sf bay area and in sac area, so if anyone could maybe take a look and help me out, that'll be great.

Also, there have also been times when the car's rpm drops and dies out unless I step on the gas a little. If I have the defrost/heat on and the deck on, the music will first get a little distorted and the rpm drops, so I shut it off right away and everything else.
Old 12-23-07, 03:26 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Kila,, It may very well be the alternator, slowly dying. Have you had it checked recently? Most shops like autozone, etc will hook them up and check them for free. It also sounds like you could have a live wire loose somewhere pulling power. Did you have any kind of aftermarket work done? Are all of your ground wires tight? My first check would be the alternaotr though.
Old 04-21-08, 07:21 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

Sup guys...the problem started again last week. Went out to the car and the remote didnt work...here we go again Had to jumpstart it and it was running good for several days. I'm at a loss for what to do.

I found out there's a volt meter on the deck, so before I turn the car off, I check it and it's usually above 13 with everything off and the headlights. When I turn the car on, it's usually mid to high 13's

I called the guy that helped me with the deck most recently and he said to "have the alternator modified to allow more power"...is this possible? Then to change the battery again to a new one...and now he says another possibility is the amp (phoenix gold) may be drawing too much power...?

What should I do??

orignal post from norcal section: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=311584
Old 04-21-08, 08:15 PM
gdave
Driver

WOW i think were both in the same boat because before i had my new deck subs and amp (all kenwood) everything great and now after a month with my new system complete BS I FEEL YOUR PAIN
Old 04-21-08, 08:26 PM
KU Lex
Driver School Candidate

I had very similar problem with my 94 LS. I had to take it to my local shop guys like three times. I first took it to them to replace the starter because it was loud and rough on startup. But a week after it didn't start. I took it back in, obviously very angry. And they blamed it on the automatic headlight relay. The problem persisted and I had to take it in like two more times and they never really gave me a good answer. The last time i took it in they said that it was from the disc changer in the trunk. They said something like it was pulling power while it was off (Overnight). Long story short...I took out the disc changer's cartrage (i always use the Ipod anyway) and it hasn't happened again. Im not suggesting that this is your problem, just thought it was relavent.
Old 04-21-08, 08:27 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

very interesting situation i have a full system installed in my 95 LS400 and have no problems at all. Something has to be lose somewhere. how much power is the phoenix gold drawing. i tend to dislike phoenix gold. i had a lot of problems with their amps. right now my amp shuts down every so often. how did they tap the remote wire for your amp. it might be constantly on. i would look at the amp once the car is off to see if it still on. you do not need to upgrade your alternator. you can just add a capacitor if its drawing to much power. i have 2 12w3v2 so thats about 300watt rms each. which i have on a 1 farad cap. I have my phoenix gold amp straight wired to my battery. my deck is all tapped into original wire harness. im still on my stock alternator. it could be possibly that they mismatched some wires.
but thats just my 2 cents if you want a wire diagram for the radio for you LS just give me a pm
Old 04-21-08, 08:44 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

might need a high output alt. forgot where u can get one though.
Old 04-21-08, 08:54 PM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much power is your system pulling? It may very well be killing the alternator. Thats what happened to my old 89 Corolla GT-S. It took me 3 alternators before I wised up lol

And an "Autozone" or "Schucks" type of store will only test it if it's out of the vehicle. A Wal-mart or Les Schwab type place can test it for free while it's still in the vehicle.
Old 04-21-08, 09:30 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Could most likely be the Battery. If it were the Alternator then on your drive home,, it would have shown some signs of failing, like the dash darkening, the audio going out first...then the dash going off, then eventually your headllights going out...then the death of the car itself.

But I will say that does not happen in all cases of a bad alternator, sometimes youll make it home fine and itll be dead from there.
Old 04-21-08, 10:02 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

I've changed the battery several times. It lasted the longest with the redtop optima battery I currently have, but soon died. My driving consists of mainly short city driving. Sometimes just about 2 miles each way. During this period, I may have the volume up, but before I turn the car off, I check the voltage and it's still around 13 when everything is off. I've been informed that driving short distances with the volume up may be bad because the alternator will not be able to charge the battery properly. Any truth to this?

Quick Reply: Car dead