LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

A Few Random Questions Regarding My 98

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-07, 06:17 PM
black_LS
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A Few Random Questions Regarding My 98

1. When I turn the car on, it says "CHECK VSC" with the red bulb illuminated for a few seconds, then goes to "LEFT FRONT DOOR". Is this normal?

2. It was a dealer maintained car.. if I walk into the Lexys dealership, will they print out the records for me, as well as all the options it came with?

3. What do you guys use to clean interiors (black specifically)? Up to now, I've been using soapy water, followed by clean water, followed by wiping it dry.

FYI.. in my 95 toolkit, there's a cross-head screwdriver. My 98 has a flat-head. I thought it was pretty weird.
Old 10-06-07, 07:59 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You need a new battery if you get the vsc error because of low voltage on starting.
Only the dealer who did the work can give you a print out.
I use Mr. clean magic eraser to clean the interior and it works better than anything EVER.
The screw driver is both flat and Phillips , pull on the end and it will slide out the handle , then reverse it and insert it back in for the other type.
Old 10-06-07, 08:04 PM
black_LS
Advanced

That explains that.. my battery died a few days ago when I was cleaning the car.

See I have a printout that the original owner retrieved back in 2003. I just wanted a more up to date one.
Old 10-06-07, 08:06 PM
black_LS
Advanced

skperformance, do you know of any good body shops in the area? I want to get the top half of the back bumper (black part) and the bottom half of the front bumper (grey part) repainted.
Old 10-06-07, 11:40 PM
black_LS
Advanced

Sorry for the multiple posts.

4. When I unlock the doors, the left rear door doesn't unlock fully. It goes bit by bit. I have to push the button 4 times for the door to actually unlock. Which part needs replacing?
Old 10-06-07, 11:46 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by black_LS
Sorry for the multiple posts.

4. When I unlock the doors, the left rear door doesn't unlock fully. It goes bit by bit. I have to push the button 4 times for the door to actually unlock. Which part needs replacing?
depends, it could be the actuator or the lock assembly could be stiff.
Old 10-06-07, 11:49 PM
black_LS
Advanced

So how do I tell? The **** on the inside moves a little bit every time I push unlock, until it's unlocked fully... if that means anything..
Old 10-06-07, 11:51 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by black_LS
So how do I tell? The **** on the inside moves a little bit every time I push unlock, until it's unlocked fully... if that means anything..
is it easy to move if u just push it by hand from the inside of the car?
Old 10-07-07, 09:59 AM
black_LS
Advanced

It's pretty easy, but seems stiffer than the others. Is the actuator and assy. easy to change?

5. Yesterday I took apart my air intake and put it back together because it wasnt sitting right (wobbly). This morning I wake up to find condensation in my right light assy. Could I have moved something or broken a seal? Both of my lights were crystal clear before.
Old 10-07-07, 11:26 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Sounds like you knocked off one of the covers on the back of the headlight assembly , take a look and make sure they are screwed on right.
The lock is stiffer for a couple reasons , it needs to be lubed , the arm is bent from someone trying to break in or the actuator is dying , STOP pressing the button over and over again to open it until it is fixed, do it once and then reach in to open it or you WILL kill the motor.

Get the car rust proofed and it will take car of lubing the assembly.

What is wrong with the paint as no one will properly do half and half of a paint job.
Old 10-07-07, 03:45 PM
black_LS
Advanced

Originally Posted by skperformance
Sounds like you knocked off one of the covers on the back of the headlight assembly , take a look and make sure they are screwed on right.
The lock is stiffer for a couple reasons , it needs to be lubed , the arm is bent from someone trying to break in or the actuator is dying , STOP pressing the button over and over again to open it until it is fixed, do it once and then reach in to open it or you WILL kill the motor.

Get the car rust proofed and it will take car of lubing the assembly.

What is wrong with the paint as no one will properly do half and half of a paint job.
It turns out the cap was cracked in a couple places, and when I washed the engine bay, water got in. I took it off, blow dried the inside of the light, sealed off the cracks, and put it back.

As for the paint, the top half of the back bumper is sun damaged, and the front bumper has a bit of paint chipped off due to the PO (older man) hitting a curb.
Old 10-07-07, 06:31 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey as far as the service history on the car. I have had three used Lexus cars and for all three my dealer JM Lexus has been able and glad to print out the full service history on the cars. All of the service on all three cars was NOT done at that dealer. I was told by them that Lexus store the service history on a general database and if your service center wishes to they can pull it up for you.

So you should be able to get a full record of ANY work done on the car at a Lexus dealer.

Jerry
Old 10-07-07, 07:22 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

You may be able to have the reart bumper high speed polished to return it to new, the front bumper may be able to be blended for much less . I would have to see it to know what can be done.
Old 10-07-07, 11:49 PM
black_LS
Advanced

Well, the coat seems to be burnt off from the sun, I don't know. The front is not bad... the bottom edge of the fog light cutout is cracked.. so I have to mold it back together and then get it painted. I doubt it's too much work.. definitely doesn't require the whole bumper to be painted. I guess I'd have to find a shop that's willing to do half of one and half of the other.

I think Richmond Hill Lexus (where it was serviced most recently) would pull up the records if I imply that I would like to continue servicing the car with them. I don't think they'd lose a potential customer that easily.
Old 10-08-07, 08:11 AM
tcbted
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why the quick change from the 95 to the 98 LS400?
Did you simply come across an amazing deal on the 98?
What are your impressions of driving the cars back to back?
The newer car has more miles, but does it feel tighter than the 95?
It would be nice to hear feedback from someone who owns these
two cars at the same time.

Quick Reply: A Few Random Questions Regarding My 98