LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

91 Ls Car Won't Start. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-07, 07:19 PM
JFLACO610
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Ls Car Won't Start. Help!

Cleaned The Throttle Body, Than Put It Back The Way I Took It Apart.all Hoses Look Good, Disconnected Battery Than Tried & No Good. It Might Start For A Sec But Than Stalls Immediately. Car Was Fine B4 This. Anyone?? Thanks Guys
Old 10-05-07, 06:48 PM
Bali26
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if the battery is ok. Then either you forgot to connect some wire back or you forgot to reconnect some vaccum hose. . Is it even cranking?
Old 10-05-07, 07:35 PM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

sounds like a vaccum to me... if it cranks.
Old 10-07-07, 07:02 AM
JFLACO610
Pole Position

it cranks, even starts for a split second but than immediately stops. i really checked the hoses several times, sucks cuz the car ran fine, i was just tryin to be good to my baby
Old 10-07-07, 07:13 AM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

I don't know, if it's not a vacuum leak, try checking for fuel. And if its fuel related, it could be a lot of things. Don't panic though, I just recently had my own problems with the car cranking, but not starting. It ended up being the fuel pump controller. If you want to discard this, go right now to your car and pop the hood; then open up the diagnostic port and bridge with a one inch wire where it says B+ to FP, then try starting the car. If it starts and stays one, then you're good until you find the FP controller, if it doesn't start, then check for the rest of the fuel system, starting with the FP it self (located behind the rear seat). It may not be this, but by doing this, you at least know if it is or if it is not. Good luck and no worries, there are plenty of good expeienced people in this board that may be able to help you.
Old 10-07-07, 04:24 PM
JFLACO610
Pole Position

ok, i took it to my local mechanic and he said its the ecu/brain because the
"check engine" light comes on & "that car" will not start if the light is on or the computer is reading something wrong with the car. Sounds fishy cuz I know plenty of cars that run with a check engine light on, ya know! Than he proceeded to say that the ecu is like $1000 and i found 1 on ebay for $100, but somethin about the numbers may have to match so ive hesitated on buying it(i know nothing bout this ecu stuff), I just sold my bike & got the car & i love it & need it for school & my kids so i dont mind paying a reasonable price to fix it, don't mean to sound like a b@!ch, but im not beat for gettin fooled, i love this site! keep the info comin guys, thanks much
Old 10-07-07, 04:54 PM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JFLACO610
ok, i took it to my local mechanic and he said its the ecu/brain because the
"check engine" light comes on & "that car" will not start if the light is on or the computer is reading something wrong with the car. Sounds fishy cuz I know plenty of cars that run with a check engine light on, ya know! Than he proceeded to say that the ecu is like $1000 and i found 1 on ebay for $100, but somethin about the numbers may have to match so ive hesitated on buying it(i know nothing bout this ecu stuff), I just sold my bike & got the car & i love it & need it for school & my kids so i dont mind paying a reasonable price to fix it, don't mean to sound like a b@!ch, but im not beat for gettin fooled, i love this site! keep the info comin guys, thanks much
thats wack man... it can definitely run witht the check engine light on.. mine came on after I hooked my battery up backwards and blew a ton of fuses and curcuit breakers... (lonnngg story )... the car ran with the check engine light and airbag light until I erased the codes....so I know they run with the check engine light on.
Old 10-07-07, 05:48 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't really concur with what your mechanic said. First thing first, check and see what the code is. There is nothing car-specific about the ECM's in older Lexus models. As long as it's for the same year and emissions (49-state vs CA) it will work. However, for the ECM to be the culprit would be odd, since it would have to have failed at the same time as your throttle-body service. Find out what the code is (why the MIL is illuminated) and reply back.
Old 10-07-07, 07:08 PM
JFLACO610
Pole Position

Default ecu

ok, real quick, the new gasket had a punchout for the hole where the flapper is, when i installed it i forgot the punchout, started the car(and it started), but when i hit the gas it stalled cuz the flapper didnt open. so i took it all back apart, opened the hole and since than it hasnt started again, just cranks, & i reset the battery again, even changed the clamps on the battery. think i f'ed somthin up with that? i dont cuz it still cranks just dont wanna start. this sucks!
Old 10-07-07, 07:11 PM
JFLACO610
Pole Position

so i cud buy another 1 if i wanted & jus install it, no mods or codes??thanks ppl, i wish i cud send out a fat pot of home made rice n beans for everyone whos gettin bak, i really appreciate it