LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

93 LS400 shuts off - Part 2 Updates

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-07, 05:53 PM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 LS400 shuts off - Part 2 **Found the problem**

Previous thread...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=300841

Just took the fuel pump out and tested it and long behold, it worked! I'm going clean out the relay that's in the engine fuse box and check power coming to the pump. The only problem I foresee is how to determine if its the main ECU or fuel pump ecu if there's no voltage at the pump??

I guess I can do what Grand LS4 did, jump started and see if it starts. If it starts, then is the ECU. If it doesn't start, then the FPECU is the problem. This is what happened to him and ended up being the MECU.

Any other pointers before I venture into unknown grounds will be greatly appreciated.

Ah, I'm also going to put the pump back after I clean the relay just to see if it starts, if not, I will proceed as planned.

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited by JDMCelsior; 09-22-07 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-20-07, 06:21 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I'm glad it's not the pump. If it's the pump computer it will be a cheap fix if you source one used.
Old 09-20-07, 06:55 PM
CptnTonus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDMCelsior
Previous thread...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=300841

Just took the fuel pump out and tested it and long behold, it worked! I'm going clean out the relay that's in the engine fuse box and check power coming to the pump. The only problem I foresee is how to determine if its the main ECU or fuel pump ecu if there's no voltage at the pump??

I guess I can do what Grand LS4 did, jump started and see if it starts. If it starts, then is the ECU. If it doesn't start, then the FPECU is the problem. This is what happened to him and ended up being the MECU.

Any other pointers before I venture into unknown grounds will be greatly appreciated.

Ah, I'm also going to put the pump back after I clean the relay just to see if it starts, if not, I will proceed as planned.

Thanks for all the help!
Dude, seriously check the EFI fuse. It's located near the main relay. From what you're describing, it sounds like that's your culprit. I'd hate to see you drop a ton of cash on a new ECU when all you had to do was replace a $.30 fuse.
Old 09-20-07, 08:01 PM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CptnTonus
Dude, seriously check the EFI fuse. It's located near the main relay. From what you're describing, it sounds like that's your culprit. I'd hate to see you drop a ton of cash on a new ECU when all you had to do was replace a $.30 fuse.
I won't buy any ecu just yet, I actually took that silver EFI fuse out and kind of cleaned it. Tomorrow I will check the FP ECU and Main ECU. I will then interchange the silver fuses, put the pump back and try to start it. Of course, if I see there's no power coming to the M ECU to the FP ECU, then I'll know the Main ECU is bad. Either way, I will check. By the way, I checked for power going to the fuel pump and there was none.
Old 09-21-07, 06:28 PM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

I swapped out the EFI fuse and still won't work. I'm just buying the damn ECU's and replace which ever is broke. I found one at the local yard, so tomorrow I'll be replacing one by one until the car starts. LOL

BTW, I can not find the fuel ECU. Where is it located? I've searched and really couldn't find exactly where the location is. any takers?
Old 09-22-07, 09:11 AM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

I decided to put back the old pump back to test by passing the fuel ecu. I bridged b+ to FP (from the diagnostic plug under the hood); then proceeded to turn the key to the ON position. I immediately heard the pump humming so I cranked the car and thank GOD it started. I'm so glad it wasn't the ECU, so I'm on my way to the junk yard to buy a used FECU that works.

Thanks again for all the help/inputs.

LS400 for life!!!!
Old 09-22-07, 12:05 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMCelsior
I decided to put back the old pump back to test by passing the fuel ecu. I bridged b+ to FP (from the diagnostic plug under the hood); then proceeded to turn the key to the ON position. I immediately heard the pump humming so I cranked the car and thank GOD it started. I'm so glad it wasn't the ECU, so I'm on my way to the junk yard to buy a used FECU that works.

Thanks again for all the help/inputs.

LS400 for life!!!!
I'm glad you've identified the problem. Good luck on your ECU hunt.