LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Another Lexus Key question. Frustrated.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-07, 07:53 PM
samerooo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Lexus Key question. Frustrated.

Searched all over the internet, ebay and these forums. When I search for "key", nothing shows up?? I looked through alot of pages, but can't find what I need.

I am looking for ONE and only one original Lexus LS400 key. I need it to be the one with the unlock/lock button on the side and it has to be original. I only need one.

When I bought the car, it only came with one fake key so I would like to have an original key with the side button. I have seen the cool 3-button key kit, but I'm not interested. I am going to be installing a full alarm/remote start soon so it really isn't necessary to have those buttons on the key and on the alarm key fob.

Please help me out, thanks in advance.
Old 09-05-07, 08:00 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if u cant find it then most likely u have to go to a dealer to get one. contact Carson Lex or Sewell Lex, their both on this forums.
Old 09-05-07, 09:26 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by samerooo
Searched all over the internet, ebay and these forums. When I search for "key", nothing shows up?? I looked through alot of pages, but can't find what I need.

I am looking for ONE and only one original Lexus LS400 key. I need it to be the one with the unlock/lock button on the side and it has to be original. I only need one.

When I bought the car, it only came with one fake key so I would like to have an original key with the side button. I have seen the cool 3-button key kit, but I'm not interested. I am going to be installing a full alarm/remote start soon so it really isn't necessary to have those buttons on the key and on the alarm key fob.

Please help me out, thanks in advance.
Well, what year is your car? The Search function will not work with only three letters. Perhaps putting in "key" and "replacement" or some similar search terms.

If it's a 90-94 LS400, you can't get a replacement key made to work with the existing ECM (the little chip thing talked about).

Suneet, Pure, you guys rock in stickies...how about making one for keys? I'm too lazy...
Old 09-05-07, 09:52 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

ehh, i dont have a first gen and dont know that much about them

we 2LS owners tend to never ever lose our keys
(^says the man with only 1 key for his LS since the previous owner was retarded)
Old 09-05-07, 11:39 PM
onedropz
Driver School Candidate

well i have a 01 GS300 and only have a valet key...

iv done some research and the only way to get a master key (one with buttons) is to go to the dealer and have them purchase a new computer and master key. they said that there is a deal where if you buy 2 masterkeys they will throw in a new computer and install for free. basically you have to buy 2 master keys... keys cant be made just anyplace because they are kept on some database im told. they must order your key from the supplier. the only thing they can do is make you a metal shank for your trunk but you wouldnt be able to drive or anything with it. that cost 50 bux.. now if you have a master key you can have it copied, but without it you gota buy the deal.

they quoted me 700 in northern california and 700 is damn expensive so i havnt been able to open my trunk yet...
Old 09-26-07, 08:50 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I went to the lock smith in Tustin California and he made keys for me for my 91 LS400 at 45.00 each they open the doors start the car and open the doors a good lock smith can make you a key unless you have a later model with a chip on it and if this be the case OUCH it cost a lot at lexus dealers.
Old 09-26-07, 09:29 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bill Dowd
I went to the lock smith in Tustin California and he made keys for me for my 91 LS400 at 45.00 each they open the doors start the car and open the doors a good lock smith can make you a key unless you have a later model with a chip on it and if this be the case OUCH it cost a lot at lexus dealers.
Clarify please. Do these keys have the keyless entry option as well? What year is your LS? 90-94 can't have keys programmed into the EPROM chip...
Old 09-27-07, 10:58 AM
turbosix
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i cant imagine how with so many people out there we havent found someone that can program those ****ing chips yet. there is no freaking way it could be that difficult.
Old 03-06-08, 08:28 PM
ems
Lead Lap

for real!! I got my ls with the walet key and it is a ***** not having A: the security buttons. and B: the ****in trunk accesibility fine the trunk **** works great. but come on!! I got friends that can get any other reprogramed key but nobody apparently cares about the lexus owner. for real where are my hacks at? IM TIRED OF NOBODY KNOWING WHATS UP.

sorry. rants. drunk rants. well time to race.
Old 03-07-08, 12:15 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ems
for real!! I got my ls with the walet key and it is a ***** not having A: the security buttons. and B: the ****in trunk accesibility fine the trunk **** works great. but come on!! I got friends that can get any other reprogramed key but nobody apparently cares about the lexus owner. for real where are my hacks at? IM TIRED OF NOBODY KNOWING WHATS UP.

sorry. rants. drunk rants. well time to race.
while drunk....

u r retarded.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 03-07-08 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-07-08, 08:52 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by turbosix
i cant imagine how with so many people out there we havent found someone that can program those ****ing chips yet. there is no freaking way it could be that difficult.
Might not be cost efficient for them to do so. I can imagine the hell it would be shipping the EPROM module back and forth, let alone a programming fee. It is probably more advantageous and profitable to do what Mikado is doing.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=key+kit
Old 03-07-08, 02:38 PM
ems
Lead Lap

Default not really

Actually vowed to not drink and drive the lex. so far so good and plus ery body wants to ride the city in is so... kids dont drink and drive. you may spill when the cops pull you over..

psa from +ems+

If any of you listen to Atmosphere (rhymesayers), Slug and I did a song together kicked off with "Cunnin, runnin the LS400.."

google moochie C slug ems
Old 03-07-08, 03:13 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm confused.. I'm pretty sure I remember reading a tutorial from retrodrive on how to add new keys to the system? Some cool dance of opening and closing doors, locking things, etc... does that not work?

And please rewrite your posts when you're not talking about drinking and what not, with proper grammar and punctuation. I'm not going to bother sorting through the randomness in your posts.

Last edited by Suneet; 03-07-08 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-08-08, 04:16 AM
phy
Driver

Originally Posted by Suneet
I'm confused.. I'm pretty sure I remember reading a tutorial from retrodrive on how to add new keys to the system? Some cool dance of opening and closing doors, locking things, etc... does that not work?

And please rewrite your posts when you're not talking about drinking and what not, with proper grammar and punctuation. I'm not going to bother sorting through the randomness in your posts.
He did, I tried it when i bought a 2nd remote cause i lost one of the 2 that i had. (of course i made sure the remote was the exact same model as my original remote). I couldn't really get it to work correctly cause there are alot of steps, and like u said it requires locking and unlocking alot. It got creepy cause if u did it a few ways sometimes the doors will unlock/lock themselves.lol
Old 03-08-08, 01:58 PM
drewkaree
Rookie

If you're looking to program your keys, buy one from Sewell or some other locksmith who can cut you one using your VIN number, then go to https://techinfo.toyota.com and pay the $10 for a daily subscription. Enter in YOUR Lexus model year, go to Body Electrical or wherever YOUR model has the info located for programming the keys.

There are several different methods, and each depends on the model AND year of Y-O-U-R car. The generic "try this and see if it works, because it worked in mine" advice seems to have ALWAYS come from people who did exactly this.

Also, count your *** lucky. I just bought a '96 LS400 that DOES NOT have the remote within the key. I have to purchase a separate fob altogether, so the only keys I can get are NON-remote keys. When I DO get the urge to buy the fob, I've already downloaded the info on how to program my fob, as all the rest of you should.

It's not hard, and it'll cost you $10. When I went to the Lexus DEALER, the ***** told me the EXACT same thing they told the rest of you people who went to the DEALER - "we'll have to order you the key, which is $150, program it, which is an additional $50, and oh yeah, you'll need a new chip for your ECU to even be able to do this, which is an ADDITIONAL $250".

All that, and with some SIMPLE research on my part, I found out they were either IGNORANT, or flat-out LYING to me, since MY PARTICULAR MODEL never came with a remote-on-the-key, only on a separate fob. For those of you who swallow what they say because "they're the dealer, shouldn't they know what's up?", don't offer advice, honestly. The reason is because these people can actually GO to the dealer and get the exact same advice. What folks are REALLY asking is "how can I solve this myself, because I don't believe the dealership, and I don't want to go back to them because they're wrong".

It's true in my case, and it's true in EVERYONE else's case, if you'll only spend the $10 and a few moments of your time. If you're not that adventurous, well.....that's the REASON the dealership can charge the prices they do - because they know you aren't going to risk "wrecking" your investment, and aren't going to do much more than perhaps change a watch battery or summink

For those who don't want to spend even $10, and want the info for free, understand that their info might not work for YOU, and it might end up costing you $10. Cough it up, and pass along the knowledge to the NEXT person. Pay it forward, and all.

Quick Reply: Another Lexus Key question. Frustrated.