LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 Hidden Features

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-11, 01:52 PM
zukikat
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is a fairly old thread, but I hadn't seen this mentioned yet and I figured that some 1LS owners (and possibly newer years?) might appreciate this tidbit of LS knowledge as much I do...

Speaking of climate panels, yesterday my '94 1LS did something unexpected that I've never encountered from an auto climate panel before...
Keeping in mind that I've never bothered to "rtfm" (read the manual) for my LS from cover to cover yet so if you've already discovered this, congrats!

I pressed the FRONT Defrost button twice fairly quickly by accident as I hit a bump, only to notice that the system switched everything from my usual winter bi-level vent, recirc, and a/c comprssor (off) mode settings to full front defrost mode with fresh air intake and fired up the a/c compressor as expected, but then with the second press of the FRONT Defrost button the system instantly reverted right back to the exact settings I'd had it in before pressing that button!
To most people that's probably an "and???" or "so what?" type of response but to me that was so totally cool because I have certain settings I prefer for my long work commute and using defrost mode in every other (Toyota/Lexus) car I've ever owned always changes all of those settings and forces me to think and press a few buttons to get it back the way I want it afterwards, and now I know my LS will switch to defrost when I need it and then give me back MY preferred climate settings with one simple button press again. VERY cool!

This is a big deal to me because I LOVE the Auto temp mode, spolied by it since my first Supra in 1992, but the MkIII and MkIV Supras' auto climate panels have a nasty habit of simultaneously roasting your feet and freezing your face (or sometimes vice versa) at varying intensities if you set the temperature anywhere between 70 and 80 and give it full auto control including vent modes, and so did both of my IS300's when in full auto mode, but I'm wondering if the engineers for the LS might've realized that the dash and floor vents really should both be appropriately hot or cold simultaneously at any chosen temperature setting, not half and half...

So I just thought I'd share some more LS happiness I found by accident last night...
Old 05-30-12, 09:41 AM
2k4CamkilA
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lots of goodies here....still interested in the hard wired radar one member had
Old 05-30-12, 12:09 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

on my 91, on either driver or passenger door, press the lock button twice and it locks the doors and sets the alarm.
Old 06-05-13, 07:14 AM
400ls
Driver School Candidate

does anyone know if you can adjust the default setting on the outside air so it doesnt start on re circulation setting?
Old 06-05-13, 08:42 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by 400ls
does anyone know if you can adjust the default setting on the outside air so it doesnt start on re circulation setting?
I believe this can be programmed at the dealer with their handheld.
Old 06-05-13, 11:49 AM
bdan
Driver

Originally Posted by greyBLITZ
I know this is quite a hot topic for most Lexus models and some features are the same throughout the other models as well. Please list some of the hidden features found on the LS400 and state the specific generation of LS400. I'll start off with a neat one:

(Worked in a 2.5LS, not sure about the other ones) If you have your rear view mirror adjustment switch turned to either the left or the right, whenever you shift into reverse, your rear view mirrors will point as far down as possible to aid in parking or reversing.
I LOVE THIS FEATURE. Havent curbed the rear set that poke. Just the fronts cause I was running on like 4 hours of sleep for 3 days and had a hangover + was really mad.
Old 06-05-13, 09:53 PM
Crybicki
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Nice!

wow! Some cool stuff here! I can confirm a couple of things. I have a 1993 LS400.

As far as moving the mirror switch to left or right, the mirrors do not move automatically for you when shifted into reverse.

Moving the steering wheel by clicking it 9 times whichever way--bad idea! don't do that! I did it just one time and it did not make a nice noise. I could hear the gears struggling. So, thats a no-no.

The 1993 does not have that little coin tray/credit card swipe thing.

We do have the rear seat air flow control.

When the sunroof is open at all, when you take the keys out of ignition, it does beep to alert you.

The front windshield defroster comes on no matter if you are moving or not.

I may have done it wrong, but having the windshield wipers on max, with the intermittent set, coming to a stop does not shut them down nor change it to intermittent.

If you leave your keys in the ignition, and try to lock it, it will unlock automatically.

I think my switch has gone bad for my seat memory, but it does have to be in park(P) for them to change between 1 and 2 or be set to any position.

A cool trick that took me several months to notice, is that there is a third sun visor directly above the rear view mirror.

I LOVE my fold-down tool kit in the trunk.

Mine does not come equipped with a first aid kit, unless its been taking out by previous owner.

There is indeed a Remote ON/OFF switch under the steering column, as well as a volume control for it. Duck low! its down there!

Another thing that took me a while to figure out was there is a light on the instrument panel that comes on, its a circle with 3 dots on each side, this is a brake pad light telling you when your brake pads are going bad.

I cant think of anything else right now, will post when I find more/test more.

Again, 1993 LS400, 1st gen.
Old 06-05-13, 11:31 PM
DrifterJ
Driver School Candidate

So far, nothing "neat" for the '92's from what im reading. did the change stuff during the 1st gen run?
Old 06-06-13, 05:34 AM
400ls
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Crybicki
wow! Some cool stuff here! I can confirm a couple of things. I have a 1993 LS400.

As far as moving the mirror switch to left or right, the mirrors do not move automatically for you when shifted into reverse.

Moving the steering wheel by clicking it 9 times whichever way--bad idea! don't do that! I did it just one time and it did not make a nice noise. I could hear the gears struggling. So, thats a no-no.

When the sunroof is open at all, when you take the keys out of ignition, it does beep to alert you.

I may have done it wrong, but having the windshield wipers on max, with the intermittent set, coming to a stop does not shut them down nor change it to intermittent.

If you leave your keys in the ignition, and try to lock it, it will unlock automatically.

I think my switch has gone bad for my seat memory, but it does have to be in park(P) for them to change between 1 and 2 or be set to any position.

A cool trick that took me several months to notice, is that there is a third sun visor directly above the rear view mirror.

Mine does not come equipped with a first aid kit, unless its been taking out by previous owner.

There is indeed a Remote ON/OFF switch under the steering column, as well as a volume control for it. Duck low! its down there!

Another thing that took me a while to figure out was there is a light on the instrument panel that comes on, its a circle with 3 dots on each side, this is a brake pad light telling you when your brake pads are going bad.

most 'tricks' you mentioned here, we are already aware of.
The brake pad low indicator is not specific to the ls400, nor is the middle sun visor
Old 06-06-13, 08:50 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

For 98 & 99 models.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CBES.pdf (43.8 KB, 881 views)
Old 06-06-13, 10:48 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am pretty sure that all LS400s were originally delivered with a first aid kit.
They are easy to find on e-bay if you wish to replace it
Old 06-06-13, 03:20 PM
Crybicki
Rookie

[QUOTE=400ls;7977367]most 'tricks' you mentioned here, we are already aware of.
The brake pad low indicator is not specific to the ls400, nor is the middle sun visor[/QUOTE

I know that. The reason I posted that was to confirm the 'tricks' on my 1993, as I saw some people were wondering what the 1st gen did or did not have versus the 2nd gen.
The following users liked this post:
joetee (11-09-22)
Old 06-06-13, 03:49 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Crybicki

The coin/card slot and the intermittent wiper you mentioned were only sold in the Japanese market not the US.

The rear seat air control was also a Japanese market option, as other people have mentioned this was used as a chauffeur car in Japan. It's another button on the climate control to direct most of the air to the rear and less to the front.

I currently own a 1992 and owned a 1990 UCF 11 in Japan.
Old 07-01-13, 09:16 AM
Crybicki
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gene01
I am pretty sure that all LS400s were originally delivered with a first aid kit.
They are easy to find on e-bay if you wish to replace it
I figured out that I was missing a panel in the trunk. This was the panel with the first aid kit box. Found it at the junkyard. No first aid kit inside, but I should be able to get it on ebay.
Thanks!
Old 07-31-13, 05:36 AM
Boyscout
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

UCF11 Toyota Celsior from Japan. These cars have their cruise control ECUs limited to 110 km/hr. Not able to set it higher.

Quick Reply: LS400 Hidden Features