LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Looking at purchasing this 98 LS400....questions inside

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-07, 09:37 PM
ou812zx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at purchasing this 98 LS400....questions inside

I am looking at a car in the Phoenix area, and since I am a LONG ways away, having a Napa auto care facility do a pre-purchase inspection for me. They will check it out probably Monday or Tuesday of next week. What should I ask for, or ask specifically about after their work/test drive?

I am seriously considering purchasing this LS, as I want a silver 98+, and this one is priced at $10k, 128k miles, and is supposedly in excellent mechanical and cosmetic shape. Its owned by a private party, and the guys' wife just got a newer BMW in the Lexus' place.

Here is the shop:
www.thompsonsautorepair.net
here is the car:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ax_price=11000

What do you guys think?

thanks in advance guys,
Jeff
Old 08-16-07, 09:48 PM
LexChamp
Driver

Looks GOOOOOOOOOD! its funny how this other dude posted a thread about being offered $18,000 G's for his 98 LS with close to 100,000 miles and he does not know if he wants to sell it. If in good shape, this is a steal. Make sure you check all the service records. Post some pics if you get it.
Old 08-16-07, 10:04 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

1-id have a local toyota dealership run their standard Pre-Buy inspection rather than NAPA.

2-look over EVERY square inch of the car u can if u know what ur looking for (run OBDII codes just to make sure it wasnt cleared RIGHT before u saw it)

3-Carfax is worth the money

oh, and make sure he has maint. records ESPECIALLY the ones for the timing belt
Old 08-17-07, 09:19 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pure is right. The $10k price is low and the car probably is worn pretty good. He did not include any other photos that I could see. I would have it checked thoroughly as you said before buying it - carfax.
Old 08-17-07, 10:20 AM
ou812zx
Driver School Candidate

He sent me some interior pictures, and under the hood photos as well. They look ok to me, without too much wear on any of the seats, or original factory floormats. The interior is a light grey, and has the wooden accented steering wheel. Here are a couple of questions...

Where is the traction control button, or how do I tell if this car has that feature?

Other than the timing belt, and records for fluid changes, what else should I ask for?

I think I am going to pass on the Carfax, as they only have information from insurance companies that send their info to them....which is only a portion of the companies out there. My gf used to manage a body shop, and says that its a waste of time, compared to a good shop or person looking the car over that knows what they are looking at (probably not me, sadly). I am not sure that Carfax is still this way, but that was how it was a couple years ago. She said companies like Geico and Progressive dont provide info to Carfax....

Anyways, thanks a lot for the advice guys, keep the ideas coming!

Jeff
Old 08-17-07, 12:40 PM
black_LS
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

TRAC button:

See the button above the ash tray that says "VSC OFF"? That's it.

Old 08-17-07, 01:18 PM
ou812zx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by black_LS
TRAC button:

See the button above the ash tray that says "VSC OFF"? That's it.

Cool, it has those three buttons.....the one to the left is the VSC button, correct? And the two to the right are heated seats? This car has the same buttons, but not the navigation system above....thanks for the response.
Old 08-17-07, 02:23 PM
mac6694
Driver

Having a NAPA inspection and a CARFAX report sound like the best way to go. The CARFAX is on you of course, but I just had a Marine buy a used vehicle from a dealership, one of the alrger ones in town actually. It had an unusuall amount of problems so he got the report and found out it had been in two accidents. The dealership is buying back the car and everything, its just a black mark on their integrity.

But private sellers are a different story, so I (personally) would do all I can to check that car out before committing. Gotta admit though, that's a good price if its as good as he says!

Last edited by mac6694; 08-17-07 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-17-07, 04:33 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by ou812zx
He sent me some interior pictures, and under the hood photos as well. They look ok to me, without too much wear on any of the seats, or original factory floormats. The interior is a light grey, and has the wooden accented steering wheel. Here are a couple of questions...

Where is the traction control button, or how do I tell if this car has that feature?

Other than the timing belt, and records for fluid changes, what else should I ask for?

I think I am going to pass on the Carfax, as they only have information from insurance companies that send their info to them....which is only a portion of the companies out there. My gf used to manage a body shop, and says that its a waste of time, compared to a good shop or person looking the car over that knows what they are looking at (probably not me, sadly). I am not sure that Carfax is still this way, but that was how it was a couple years ago. She said companies like Geico and Progressive dont provide info to Carfax....

Anyways, thanks a lot for the advice guys, keep the ideas coming!

Jeff
carfax may not show all accidents but it does show any issues with the history of the vehicle's title (some states allow you to retitle ex-salvage cars), odometer tampering, and smog info.
Old 08-20-07, 01:55 PM
ou812zx
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the input guys. Any other specific recommendations or things to look for?

Jeff
Old 08-22-07, 07:08 AM
Blavatsky
Pole Position

Listen for any suspension noises such as a clunk in the front right, or creaking/rubbing. Listen for a noisy power steering pump when turning hard left or right. Blast the A/C and make sure it gets cold (mine was run out). Service records are a huge plus. Try to check that all the dash lights/needles and LCD readouts are working...these can fail and be an expensive fix.

I bought a 99 in a very similar situation....mechanic's wife owned it and it was about 5 hours away. It's been an awesome car so far, with minimal repairs.
Old 08-23-07, 05:02 PM
ou812zx
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys...had the car looked at by a shop. Here are the things they said:

1. There were no leaks of any kind, but a tiny weep at one end of the passenger side of the power steering rack.
2. The hood struts are worn out.
3. The car will need tires in the next 10k miles. Also, there was a slight wear on the inside of the front tires, and it probably needs aligned.
4. The hoses are original. They will need replaced sometime in the near future.
5. The timing belt has been changed at 90k miles.
6. All the accessories work....the a/c is cold.
7. The driver said the car drives very smoothly, and quietly, even on the original struts....they are not leaking. The car gets up and goes fine, with plenty of power.
8. The mechanic said the car is in great cosmetic shape, and better than average mechanical shape.
9. The car has brand new brakes, all the way around.

Any thoughts?

thanks,
Jeff
Old 08-23-07, 10:31 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by ou812zx
Hey guys...had the car looked at by a shop. Here are the things they said:

1. There were no leaks of any kind, but a tiny weep at one end of the passenger side of the power steering rack.
2. The hood struts are worn out.
3. The car will need tires in the next 10k miles. Also, there was a slight wear on the inside of the front tires, and it probably needs aligned.
4. The hoses are original. They will need replaced sometime in the near future.
5. The timing belt has been changed at 90k miles.
6. All the accessories work....the a/c is cold.
7. The driver said the car drives very smoothly, and quietly, even on the original struts....they are not leaking. The car gets up and goes fine, with plenty of power.
8. The mechanic said the car is in great cosmetic shape, and better than average mechanical shape.
9. The car has brand new brakes, all the way around.

Any thoughts?

thanks,
Jeff
1.try to get the price down around 500 more because that steering rack WILL go out. LS racks are notorious for going out with a primary indicator of failure in the somewhat near future being a PS leak.

2.common, either deal with it or ~$60 on ebay for generic bolt-ins

3.16" tires are cheap thats not a big worry

4.i wouldnt replace unless they LOOK cracked/fatigued/dying

5.good

6.good

7.ok?

8.u better be the judge of that, i cant see it

9.good
Old 08-30-07, 04:48 PM
ou812zx
Driver School Candidate

Ok guys, still working on purchasing this car. I did the carfax after all, and everything looks great, with all 3 owners. The car has nothing on it in terms of blemishes, recalls or damage. The car's mileage checks out, and I have a copy of the title (looks fine) and it looks like the deal is going to go down. I am booking a ticket to fly to Phoenix next Saturday to buy the car, and drive it back to Oregon!

Thanks guys,
Jeff
Old 08-30-07, 05:03 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

good luck dude! i'm excited for you. Thats gonna be an awesome drive.

Quick Reply: Looking at purchasing this 98 LS400....questions inside