LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Heater problem

Old 12-30-01, 12:30 PM
SilverLS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater problem

when i put the temp button to 85 it blows out cool air. The a/c switch is off and it get the whole car cold instead of hot. Does anyone have the same problem?
Old 12-31-01, 08:33 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default cold air

If its an earlier model, say 92, there is a cable that runs through the firewall and actuates the hotwater flow valve mounted at the rear of the engine compartment on the very top of the firewall. This control cable has been known to slip off.

Later models have a servomotor dedicated to this valve and you can visbibly see it working as you cycle from hot to cold cabin needs.
Old 04-02-02, 01:07 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Heater Control Valve

My 94 LS 400 has a slow leaking Heater Control Valve. It has a thru-firewall actuating line as you describe above.

Does anyone have a part # , & a good replacement source?? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Old 04-03-02, 10:09 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Lexus

is likely the only possible source.
Old 04-03-02, 10:10 AM
petrojeff
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default heater control valve

My heater throws out cold air until I set it to the maximum temperature of 85 degrees. It then begins to put out very hot air. After reading wwest's post I looked and saw the cable that comes throught the firewall. I cycled the heater and the cable only moved when I got to the max setting of 85 degrees, and the cable made a full stroke on the valve. My question is.... Is the motor that controls the cable replaceable? Or do I have to get a new heater control unit? Any definitive answer is appreciated.
Old 04-03-02, 04:25 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default open sensor

Your cabin temperature sensor (thermister)(above the drivers right knee) is likely shorted, the lower its resistance the hotter the ECU "thinks" the car is. MAX hot or MAX cold over-rides all
sensors.

It might also be and of three other sensors gone whacko, the OAT in front of the radiator for instance.

good luck
Old 04-04-02, 09:52 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to test all sensors associated with temperature control systems. Heater control unit could also be bad or the actuator (least likely). Follow the troubleshooting instructions in the service manual before making a definite decision.
Old 04-04-02, 10:33 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default actuators

He said the cable actuator to the hot water valve moves full travel from off to on when he goes to max heat. That cable is driven by the mixing vane servomotor. The means that the mixing vane servo motor is in the (max) cold position and the only reason for it being there is if the ecu "thinks" the car is too hot.

The most likely sensor to do that is the passenger cabin temperature sensor shorted, even though an open sensor, wire, connector, would be a more likely occurrance. My second choice would be the OAT sensor being shorted, making the ecu "think" the outside world is extremely HOT. Third on my list would be the solar sensor, possibly making the ECU think the sun has gone supernova.
Old 04-04-02, 12:14 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Logical explanation, and again, check all relevant sensors before blaming the problem on ECU or actuator. There are instances in which bad actuators only repond to full duty cycle, but this rarely happens.
Old 04-04-02, 01:39 PM
petrojeff
Driver

Default Room temperature sensor

Okay, room temp sensor pulled, reads 6.1K-Ohms @ 66Degrees F and about .65K-Ohms @ hair dryer temperature. Book says room temp should read about 1.65-1.75 K-ohms @ 77 degrees F and .55-.65 K-ohms@ 122 Degrees Farenheit. I just called Lexus and ordered a new resistor @$42. It will be in on 4/8. It seems that it has failed in a semi open instead of semi closed state and the car should be getting feedback that the car is cold and needs warming. Hyperopt and WW please theorize....
Old 04-04-02, 02:16 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Stumped!

Makes NO sense....

Maybe the sensor was shorted until you "joggled" it?

Now that you have disconnected the sensor how does the system act?

On my 92 LS I have added a switch and a 200 ohm resister in series with my IAT sensor. I can activate the switch, which adds 200 ohms to the circuit, before I activate the defrost/defog/demist function so I always get heated airflow and higher blower speeds for more adequate defog functionality.

Higher IAT resistance = colder passenger cabin = more heat.

Puzzle.

Last edited by wwest; 04-04-02 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-04-02, 02:22 PM
petrojeff
Driver

Default Re: Stumped!

Originally posted by wwest
Makes NO sense....

Puzzle.
I'm going outside to rehook up thermistor now. stay tuned...............
Old 04-04-02, 02:44 PM
petrojeff
Driver

Default hooked up sensor again

I reattached the thermistor and cycled the heater/AC. It behaved same as ususal. When I hit auto clilmate control, every time the A/C goes on. Blows only cool air. Ambient air temp is about 60 F. When I go to max, it blows hot. When I am in between, it only blows cool (not refrigerated) air. I completely removed the thermistor and the system acted the exact same. I measured the resistance again and shook the thermistor while I did this, it caused the thermistor to vary from5K to 180K ohms. It is obviously bad. It appears the system fails in this mode when it is open. I am looking at the electrical diagram to see if something else makes sense.
Old 04-04-02, 03:03 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default substitute

do you have a 1k resister you can substitute for the IAT sensor as a test?
Old 04-04-02, 03:06 PM
petrojeff
Driver

Default Re: substitute

Originally posted by wwest
do you have a 1k resister you can substitute for the IAT sensor as a test?
No, but my buddy probably does. I will give it a try in the AM.Thanx WW.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heater problem