LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Just purchased a 93 LS400. Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-07, 06:58 AM
samerooo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased a 93 LS400. Need some advice.

Hi. I'm looking for a bit of advice. I don't have very much time on my hands and was wondering if Jiffy Lube would be a good place to have the new car serviced. I would like to switch out all the fluids with new fluid because I'm not 100% as to when it was done last. The vehicle currently has 178k miles and has full service records up to around 155k, but stops there.

I heard that Mobil 1 synthetic was a good choice. Please let me know what to use for...

Engine oil=Mobil 1 synthetic... does Jiffy Lube offer this oil?
Tranny oil= ? Would it be okay to drain and refill with synthetic if the old oil was not synthetic?
Power steering=?

What else should I do to keep this vehicle on the road as long as possible?

4 of my friends own LS400 so I know how great these cars are. The vehicle runs very smooth. Only one thing is worrying me. I used to have a Subaru and I used to feel tremendous heat under the driver's pedal. Later on, the tranny went out. I am kind of feeling the same heat from this car on long drives. I'm not sure what it could be. Maybe it was just a hot day (103 degrees)? I'm not sure. Please let me know what you think.

In return, I offer anyone who helps, a free Carfax report. I have the unlimited for one month. Thank you all.
Old 08-02-07, 09:36 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

jiffy lube is an evil place

find a dealer or a REPUTABLE independant mechanic to do your work. far too many people have been swindled by jiffy lube, dont believe me? ask the search button.

engine=mobil1 is a decent hcoice, Amsoil or Royal purple are a bit higher up but mobil1 is in my car right now so

trans= ONLY use Toyota T-IV fluid or else your trans WILL break. (Amsoil is the only company making a T-iv compatible fluid right now)

Power Steering=any DexronIII or Mercon TRANSMISSION fluid will work. do NOT use "Power Steering fluid"

to keep this car running please search basic maint. has been quadruply covered in the LS forum
Old 08-03-07, 06:31 AM
illcelsior
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no, jiffy lube sucks.

I won't get into an "which oil is better" debate. If you like it that is all that matters.
Old 08-03-07, 07:39 AM
ARISTO26
Driver School Candidate

only use ATF-4 for the trany and dexron like the other person said, if u need the item I can try to help u I work at a lexus dealer.
good luck with that car....
Old 08-03-07, 09:15 AM
Klierslc
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where can you get the Toyota IV ATF? There are very few lexus dealers in ID......
Old 08-03-07, 09:23 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Klierslc
Where can you get the Toyota IV ATF? There are very few lexus dealers in ID......
toyota dealers carry it
Old 08-03-07, 09:56 AM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

PureDrifter speaks truth.
Old 08-06-07, 11:44 PM
lexie
Pole Position

Caution: Don't ever go to Jiffy Lubes and also Midas. My brake caliper cames off after replacing my pads on saturday afternoon. and I could not reverse my car. Then monday I went back there they said The mechanic forgot to put a pin back $#@$.

Don't go jiffy lubes for safety check too! Those guys screwed up my headlight aim when they tried to adjust the headlight. They don't know what they doing. my $0.02.

Last edited by lexie; 08-06-07 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-07-07, 01:34 AM
jasonm
Lead Lap

I change my gear oil to Lucas and noticed a difference, clean the throttle body and check the serpentine belt, it would be a shame if the car died out because of a 40 dollar belt. And seafoam it. Go to Lexls.com
Old 08-09-07, 09:23 AM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

take it to the dealer or a reputable mechanic...seriously
Old 08-09-07, 10:14 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

All of the gods above speak truth. Please heed the advice given.
Old 08-10-07, 09:20 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default mobil one is a good oil to use

I use mobil in my motor and and the mobil transmission fluid in my trans and power steering I also use the mobil one 75-90 in my cars rear end. Some of the rear ends require special oil due to limited slip. If you can get redline gl5 it is designed for limited slip rear ends. I use a transmission cooler on the trans and power steering unit to help keep down heat and give them both a longer service life. I pump the transmission thru the trans cooler four quarts at a time and then put in the same amount drive a few miles and do it again every 30,000 miles. The transmission on the lexus is built like nothing else and I have seen 300-500,000 miles on the same trans. The earlier Lexus are great cars and were built very well to set the standard as the worlds best built car then and today.
Old 08-10-07, 09:27 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

well, its recommended to use the atv tranny oil but we'll see what happens. just dont post a "i broke my tranny" thread or someone will resurrect this thread and say i told u so.
Old 08-10-07, 10:32 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Bill Dowd
I use mobil in my motor and and the mobil transmission fluid in my trans and power steering I also use the mobil one 75-90 in my cars rear end. Some of the rear ends require special oil due to limited slip. If you can get redline gl5 it is designed for limited slip rear ends. I use a transmission cooler on the trans and power steering unit to help keep down heat and give them both a longer service life. I pump the transmission thru the trans cooler four quarts at a time and then put in the same amount drive a few miles and do it again every 30,000 miles. The transmission on the lexus is built like nothing else and I have seen 300-500,000 miles on the same trans. The earlier Lexus are great cars and were built very well to set the standard as the worlds best built car then and today.
lets see how long ur trans lasts on the mobil1

only trans fluid that will work aside from the Toyota T-IV is one made by Amsoil, and they too claim to be the ONLY non-factory fluid that will work correctly.
Old 08-10-07, 10:45 PM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

Puredrifter: please don't say the tranny will break cuz you're scaring me. I had my tranny fluid replaced last year and I honestly can't remember what type oil they used. I went to Midas if am not mistaken. I guess I'll check the receipt to see what type oil they used. Regardless, I haven't notice any problems with the tranny. Now I won't be able to sleep thinking about this.

Quick Reply: Just purchased a 93 LS400. Need some advice.