LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

problem w/ my car, just bought.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-07, 09:19 PM
SLK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem w/ my car, just bought.

hey guys hows it going,
heres the thing i just recently purchased a 90 Ls400 and i havent drove it yet which is killing me, but any way heres the cliffs; my brother took it to get it inspectd and then went to get the tags as he was coming home the climate contral and radio shuts off. so we checked all the fuses and they are all good, and we remember the guy b4 had a deck and t.v. so we take the center consule thing apart. so it happens that he spliced the ciggarette lighter to connect it to hide a a/c d/c or what they're called converter for a ps2 he had in the car. so we see that he left the live wire and it seems to hav touched the radio and sparked and caused a shock, but another thing thing is that we figured the brake lights dont light up TOO... so this really sucks.. any suggestion what the problem is?? thanks in advance!!! please help me out

[ open live wire grounded out/shocked (cigarette lighter wires) in center consule; HVAC/radio & brake lights dont work; all fuses are fine ]

Last edited by SLK; 07-27-07 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-27-07, 09:59 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ouch, electrical in the Ls's are a huge pain in the butt. im sure someone will come in here and try to help you.
Old 07-27-07, 10:03 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmm, intersting situation. You sure you checked all the fuses. If I remember correctly the radio, and heater control fuses are UNDER the dash on the driver side, you also have a fuse panel under the hood on the driver side, as well as another fuse box under the left headlight. Does the dash and all still light up?? Not really sure what the problem is, aside from a bad hack job, just trying to give you things to check. I know ou said you checked all the fuses in your thread. May want to try to track down the other end of what that live wire was originally suppose to go to. If it is hanging loose, there has to be another end to it somewhere under there. Might be taped off,, and the tape just came off the live end when he removed his stereo equip.
Sorry I know I am not much help with this problem.
Old 07-27-07, 10:47 PM
SLK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by trukn1
Hmm, intersting situation. You sure you checked all the fuses. If I remember correctly the radio, and heater control fuses are UNDER the dash on the driver side, you also have a fuse panel under the hood on the driver side, as well as another fuse box under the left headlight. Does the dash and all still light up?? Not really sure what the problem is, aside from a bad hack job, just trying to give you things to check. I know ou said you checked all the fuses in your thread. May want to try to track down the other end of what that live wire was originally suppose to go to. If it is hanging loose, there has to be another end to it somewhere under there. Might be taped off,, and the tape just came off the live end when he removed his stereo equip.
Sorry I know I am not much help with this problem.

checked one of the boxes under the hood, ill look for the other one, thanks. he spliced up the cigg lighter wires. to connect to a a/c d/c converter thing to plug his ps2 into the indash. he wanted to hide the wires so he did it that way, instead of plugging in the converter to cigg thing cause u hav to hav the tray open at all times i guess, but when he sold it to us he took the dec out, and left the t.v. in so i said, go ahead and put the oem radio back in. so when he did he unplugd the converter; and then left the CIG lighter wires that he spliced, not taped up.. so thats why this is all happening.dash lights up .. checking them now

Last edited by SLK; 07-27-07 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-27-07, 11:10 PM
SLK
Driver School Candidate

alright man, tahnks the center consul works now hahah, but the brake lights dotn light up. but the parking lights do.
Old 07-27-07, 11:45 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

thats prolly unrelated, go check the trunk hinge wiring harness.
Old 07-27-07, 11:51 PM
SLK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
thats prolly unrelated, go check the trunk hinge wiring harness.
my other brother was jus got off work and we told him what happend and he said he saw my brother leaving the court house from gettin the liscense and he saw the brake lamps on, but soon right after that is when the short happend, cause my -other brother was driving it at the time. lol' small town. litterally.
Old 07-28-07, 08:19 AM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=295968

This guy does quality work I see
Old 07-28-07, 10:24 AM
SLK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Thermactor
that guy is the one i got it from...
Old 07-28-07, 12:04 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLK
that guy is the one i got it from...
LOL I know, I added 2+2 and came up with that. This is why I avoided ghetto modded (big wheels and in-car entertainment) LS400s like the plague when I was in the market. Hope you figure your problems out soon