LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

93 LS400 (have suspension ?'s)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-07, 09:41 AM
ANstyle
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 LS400 (have suspension ?'s)

I have a Mazda pickup that a guy with a 1993 LS400 is trying to trade for. It is black and really clean with decent mileage. He is asking under $4,000 for it and it seems like a pretty good deal so I might go thru with the trade. But to the point, I want something nicer, a big sedan like the LS. And I am planning on doing some things to it like upgraded the suspension for a lower ride, nicer wheels with a dish, tint, etc (going for the VIP look). Anyway I was looking at the pics of the car and looking into the engine bay it looks to have the air suspension. This kind of turned me off to the car because I don't know how big of a problem upgrading the suspension would be. All I know (because I'm a parts spec at Lexus) is that they are expensive as poo to replace, even at my price. So I am just asking for anyone else with more experience with modding Lexus vehicles than I because this is keeping me from getting this car. Sorry for the long read and thanks!

Last edited by ANstyle; 07-23-07 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-23-07, 12:37 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ANstyle
I have a Mazda pickup that a guy with a 1993 LS400 is trying to trade for. It is black and really clean with decent mileage. He is asking under $4,000 for it and it seems like a pretty good deal so I might go thru with the trade. But to the point, I want something nicer, a big sedan like the LS. And I am planning on doing some things to it like upgraded the suspension for a lower ride, nicer wheels with a dish, tint, etc (going for the VIP look). Anyway I was looking at the pics of the car and looking into the engine bay it looks to have the air suspension. This kind of turned me off to the car because I don't know how big of a problem upgrading the suspension would be. All I know (because I'm a parts spec at Lexus) is that they are expensive as poo to replace, even at my price. So I am just asking for anyone else with more experience with modding Lexus vehicles than I because this is keeping me from getting this car. Sorry for the long read and thanks!

I would love to have a car with air suspension, because you can get a ride-height controller and pretty much slam it!

As regards to the cost of the struts.. thre are companies that sell remanufactured air-struts at a fraction of the cost. I think around $300 - $350 per strut, which isn't too bad compared to the Lexus prices.

I would definitely do this trade, air suspension is great on the LS if you want that VIP look and still be able to get up your driveway!
Old 07-23-07, 12:42 PM
absolut
Pole Position

Also cars with factory air suspension can be easily converted to coil spring suspension.
Old 07-23-07, 01:29 PM
ANstyle
Rookie

oh, sweet, well in that case....i might get it. Thanks for the input guys.

I did forget to ad that he wants $700 on top of my trade. (my truck has 211k on it. It's a 1998 Mazda B3000 4x4. It runs excellent though)

Last edited by ANstyle; 07-23-07 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-23-07, 02:57 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a bad deal for $700 plus your truck - the VIP LS will get you there in style bro!
Old 07-23-07, 03:02 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have air suspension and love it. While the air struts can be a bit pricey to purchase, they are a very easy swap. As long as it's working correctly, add a ride controller and have fun with it!

Unless you need the pickup bed to haul manure around, go for the swap (not a fan of manure in the trunk). It would be useful to know when the big items have been replaced (timing belt, water pump, any suspension components).
Old 07-23-07, 03:13 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless you need the pickup bed to haul manure around, go for the swap (not a fan of manure in the trunk) -- I absolutely agree with you there bro
Old 07-23-07, 05:31 PM
ANstyle
Rookie

Well thanks for all the input fellas. I just need to sell my CRX for some extra cash for the $700 on top of my truck. Anyone interested in a clean little Honda? hahah... I'm done with these little things I can't wait to get something nice....like this LS! :-)

Last edited by ANstyle; 07-23-07 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-23-07, 09:24 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

oooh i would love a little crx runabout. I wish i had some spare cash, I'd consider it. I really want a first gen integra though. Finding one thats clean and unaltered, without rust is tough.
Old 07-23-07, 09:50 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

if its a "virgin" crx in good shape (and a manual trans) i may be interested....

too bad shipping from virginia would be almost the whole cost of the car
Old 07-24-07, 07:09 AM
bodiby
Rookie

A clean CRX should be easy to sell. It is VERY hard to find clean ones without damage.
Old 07-24-07, 08:40 AM
ANstyle
Rookie

Originally Posted by bodiby
A clean CRX should be easy to sell. It is VERY hard to find clean ones without damage.
It just needs a few things as I just nearly completed an engine swap. It's almost ready. Driver side mount needs a bracket welded to fit, needs a custom exhaust and some distributor work. But it's the one in my avatar. I just put a DOHC ZC (1.6) in it. Should have some pep to it now. But enough about Hondas, if I keep talking about it I might change my mind haha. Time to go high end!!!

Last edited by ANstyle; 07-25-07 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-25-07, 11:23 AM
ANstyle
Rookie

ok guys this thread needs a bump. I need help.

I JUST found out how many miles the LS400 has. He is selling for $3,750. It has 250k on it......In my book that's a huuuuge red flag. He says it runs really good and everything works great. I'm planning on looking at the car this Saturday. I assumed it had less miles than my truck (211k). I don't know what to do. Should I just sell my truck outright and keep on looking or what?

WWCLD???
Old 07-25-07, 03:49 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

boo!!!! I(my dad) paid 2100 (with 200k) and 2175 (with 210)for a 93 and a 94 ls400 about a year ago. They were both maintained but only needed a little bit of TLC ( little stuff, like a door handle and the radio, little rust). Nothing major.

I just got a 94 anniversary ls400 for my mom for 3k. It needed a coolant flush and thermostat, bushings and the rear bumper to be repainted( scratches). Every thing else on it was pretty much perfect. 140k on it.

Personally i think even though your LS is clean, I believe he's asking too much... unless, unless its perfect or almost with service records, newish tires, bushings, suspension stuff, timing belt. 250k shouldn't put you off on an LS, it should just lower the price!

Seriously though, if its been well maintained you have nothing to worry about. All "my" cars are still do 0-60 in 7.9-8.5 depending on conditions.
Old 07-25-07, 10:28 PM
ANstyle
Rookie

Originally Posted by omarg
boo!!!! I(my dad) paid 2100 (with 200k) and 2175 (with 210)for a 93 and a 94 ls400 about a year ago. They were both maintained but only needed a little bit of TLC ( little stuff, like a door handle and the radio, little rust). Nothing major.

I just got a 94 anniversary ls400 for my mom for 3k. It needed a coolant flush and thermostat, bushings and the rear bumper to be repainted( scratches). Every thing else on it was pretty much perfect. 140k on it.

Personally i think even though your LS is clean, I believe he's asking too much... unless, unless its perfect or almost with service records, newish tires, bushings, suspension stuff, timing belt. 250k shouldn't put you off on an LS, it should just lower the price!

Seriously though, if its been well maintained you have nothing to worry about. All "my" cars are still do 0-60 in 7.9-8.5 depending on conditions.
I think I'm going to tell him, yea forget the $700 on top of my trade I will trade you straight up and straight up only. What do you think? Seem fair? I'm just worried about how long this things gunna last me. I have heard some postive high-mileage stories with LS's but still, that mileage still scares me.

Quick Reply: 93 LS400 (have suspension ?'s)