LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Yellowing of Pearl White Paint (need to match newly painted bumpers)

Old 07-08-07, 12:24 PM
jkalu47
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellowing of Pearl White Paint (need to match newly painted bumpers)

I have a 91' Pearl White Lexus LS400. I just got both of my bumpers painted because the paint was cracking and chipping. The problem is that the white of the newly painted bumpers don't match the white on the rest of the car because the color tends to yellow a little bit with age.

Is there anything I can do to get a better match besides painting the rest of the car (b/c that would cost about $1,200 more. Is there any wax with a yellow tint that I can buy for the bumpers? Is there anything I can do to make the rest of the car whiter? I'm open to any suggestions.
Old 07-08-07, 01:17 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Try teeth whitening toothpaste... lol, j/k.
Old 07-08-07, 01:51 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Before you get too carried away, you might want to try getting your car cut polished on a small inconspicuous area, as the yellowing may be limited to the clear coat. If it is, then a very light sanding with a new clear coat applied might do the trick. If it's deeper than that, then have the paint supplier match your yellowed finish using a computerized tint matching computer, and repaint your bumpers.

These suggestions are strictly off the cuff (and a bit wild). Your body shop may have other better ideas.
Old 07-08-07, 02:18 PM
sjpobox
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the painters cant match the color the car is now?
Old 07-08-07, 02:46 PM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

It is know that pearl white is very hard to match; Differing climatological conditions, paint mix, spray gun, etc... It is not impossible, but very hard. Good luck!
Old 07-08-07, 03:01 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jkalu47
I have a 91' Pearl White Lexus LS400. I just got both of my bumpers painted because the paint was cracking and chipping. The problem is that the white of the newly painted bumpers don't match the white on the rest of the car because the color tends to yellow a little bit with age.

Is there anything I can do to get a better match besides painting the rest of the car (b/c that would cost about $1,200 more. Is there any wax with a yellow tint that I can buy for the bumpers? Is there anything I can do to make the rest of the car whiter? I'm open to any suggestions.
I used to paint cars for a living (not pursuing that cuz I work in computers now). JDMCelsior is correct. Even when analyzing the current paint with one of those "paint cameras", its never going to be exact. Actually, the best painter matches it by eye (and women can discern color variation much better than men).

Anyhoo, for obvious reasons, the pearl coat is what throws off the match. I've painted my friends car and he has the same problem, I already did a cut and buff (which helped a little), but it is still noticeable.

The only way around is to paint and blend it into the existing panels, but honestly, you're better off just doing the cut and buff. It'll help, but the yellowing will still be noticeable to the extremely picky.
Old 07-08-07, 08:25 PM
jkalu47
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by avalon42
I used to paint cars for a living (not pursuing that cuz I work in computers now). JDMCelsior is correct. Even when analyzing the current paint with one of those "paint cameras", its never going to be exact. Actually, the best painter matches it by eye (and women can discern color variation much better than men).

Anyhoo, for obvious reasons, the pearl coat is what throws off the match. I've painted my friends car and he has the same problem, I already did a cut and buff (which helped a little), but it is still noticeable.

The only way around is to paint and blend it into the existing panels, but honestly, you're better off just doing the cut and buff. It'll help, but the yellowing will still be noticeable to the extremely picky.
Thanks for the advice. About how much do you think the cut and buff will cost?
Old 07-08-07, 09:22 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Normal prices around So Cal is like $120 or less, that includes a wash which is mandatory.

One of these days I'm going to write a few tutorials on how to take care of your paint job and repaint stuff.

My front and rear bumpers are in bad shape (haven't gotten to them yet). but I was going to hold off on painting until I buy a wing and a front lip.
Old 07-08-07, 10:45 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Just my two cents but if you can paint the rest of the car for only $1,200 more why not just do it? Your car would have a new paint job and then everything would match. Over here a complete repaint would be at least $4,000.
Old 07-09-07, 10:16 AM
jkalu47
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Just my two cents but if you can paint the rest of the car for only $1,200 more why not just do it? Your car would have a new paint job and then everything would match. Over here a complete repaint would be at least $4,000.
I get what your saying but I really don't have the kind of money right now....and even if I did, I don't think I would do it because i'm not planning on having the car for too much longer (maybe 2 years). I just want to do something so it matches a little better but it doesn't have to be perfect.
Old 07-11-07, 02:55 AM
sonbum1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try meguirres paint wash. It will take up some of the "yellowing" maybe enough that you wont notice the diference.