LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Need advice...LOST MASTER KEY for 98 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-07, 11:31 AM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice...LOST MASTER KEY for 98 LS400

Hello guys...here I go starting another thread...I got myself in what seems to be an issue here it goes....

I got my car with just the valet key, I never got the master key with the buttons on it...Well I called my local Lexus dealer and they told me that I would have to get a whole new ECU along with the key

The tech told me that i may be eligible for a free computer (ECU) that lexus does this once in a cars life free ecu, but that I would still need to buy the key...I have no problem buying the key, but I am having a hard time believing that i need a whole new computer...they claim this is because they use the current master key to program the duplicate....

Anyone ever been in this situation??? I thought there was just a process like the pedal dance that programmed the keys??? I didnt know you had to use another master key to program another key, I thought the car programmed them for you???

Anyone with any advice??? thanks
Old 07-05-07, 02:53 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

iirc u dont need a new ECU for the post 98 cars but then again ive only heard of 89-94 people asking this question.
Old 07-05-07, 04:03 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

You actually need a new ECU for 98-2000 models. After 2001+, new master keys can be programmed into your existing ECU.

While Lexus does offer the free ECU once in the lifetime of the car, you are required to pay the dealer for the key, then to cut it, and program it. Which is not bad, since you will get a master key with remote.

HOWEVER, you also have the option to sending your ECU to many places online that will re-flash your ECU, and sell you keys for much cheaper. There was a clublexus sponsor who did this sometime ago. Let me dig more info, as i purchased a few unrelated items from that vendor. But this should be the cheaper alternative.
Old 07-05-07, 10:05 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to disagree with you grand but i know for a fact you don't need a new ecu on a 98.
When i bought my 98 it came with a wallet , valet and the metal key from a broken head. I bought a used key from ebay dremeled out the plastic to slide the head out and epoxied the precut key into the old head.
I then used the programming series of locking and unlocking with the brake pedal and door . Had to do 2 different setups one for the transponder and then another for the wireless locks.

It can be done just need to have new blanks cut with a new head and transponder guts put together.
Old 07-06-07, 11:35 AM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

wow...so which one is it????? bump...anyone else have any insight??? IM hoping SK is right
Old 07-06-07, 11:48 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

No hoping , if i was wrong i would still be using my valet key.
I don't have the procedure anymore but it is the same as most lexus cars.
I was told i needed a new ecu for my ES300 as i only have 1 key , so i just got an alarm.
Old 07-06-07, 11:56 AM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

im hoping its not something that breaks down to what month in 98 the car was manufactured....

SO all I gotta do is get a completely new master key with transponder and everything (isnt it like $150) have it cut, and then I can program it???
Old 07-06-07, 02:46 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

If you feel adventurous: take a look at a buddy's master key and your valet key. You can solder in the necessary ridge on the key to duplicate the master. Then buy a new key, have it cut and you should be able to program succeeding remotes and keys.

Don't use the soldered key since there may be risk of the solder coming off in the ignition...it is a template for a new master. That is how I would go about this.
Old 07-06-07, 09:00 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

If it helps my build date is 10/97
Old 07-06-07, 09:33 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so which cars are eligible for the new ecu and what do you need to get one jw?
Old 07-07-07, 11:07 AM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

the guy from Betts Lexus (only local lexus Dealer) told me just to bring the car in for service....he said they would run the cars history and if it hasnt had the ecu replaced I could get a new one, he made it seem like it was for all lexus cars, and that it could be done at anytime just as long as it hasnt had it replaced before

my build date I think is 08/97, its in 97 I know that, and its the later months, so is that what I gotta do? just buy a complete new master key? Anyone know best place to get one? I cant do ebay since it doesnt work on my computer (dont know why its a programming issue, I get a HTTP 500 error)

It would be nice if a dealer chimed in on this see what they think?
Old 07-07-07, 11:08 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by skperformance
Sorry to disagree with you grand but i know for a fact you don't need a new ecu on a 98.
When i bought my 98 it came with a wallet , valet and the metal key from a broken head. I bought a used key from ebay dremeled out the plastic to slide the head out and epoxied the precut key into the old head.
I then used the programming series of locking and unlocking with the brake pedal and door . Had to do 2 different setups one for the transponder and then another for the wireless locks.

It can be done just need to have new blanks cut with a new head and transponder guts put together.
Very good info SK. I stand corrected. I didn't know the only difference between the master and the valet was ONLY the ridges of the key. I thought the programming procedure was also different due to transponder chip inside the valet that wouldn't allow me to program more keys.

So how did you get the first master? meaning the transponder? Last time i programmed a new key for my car, I needed another master to work it. Or did you connect the old master metal peice, with the valet chip? and used that to program?

Last edited by GRAND_LS 4; 07-07-07 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-14-07, 11:51 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

I stuck the valet key in the ignition and replaced it with the new one in the ignition in sequence. It took a few tried but it worked fine , i am pretty sure i got it from lex ls site.
The valet key has no wireless buttons , while a new key head does and does not need to have an original present to add. It will hold up to 4 remotes and can be added easily by any dealer with the break out box to erase all keys and add 1 at a time with no issue. I can;t fathom why they say you need a new ecu other than making you feel overly grateful to them by taking your car for service there. You still have to buy the keys anyway.

A guy in Jersey on ebay sells the keys with head and cuts the blanks for you as well pretty reasonable.
Old 07-21-07, 11:30 AM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

does the guy have an email address??

So what exactly do I need to do? buy a new master key? Have guy cut it for me, and program??? Do you know where I can find the programming procedure...I saw it somewhere for an es300 but not for an LS, also cant seem to find the article on the es300

Thanks again SK, I miss the "beep, beep" that the alarm makes
Old 07-22-07, 10:04 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

This guy sells keys and also confirms the simple 2 stage process to program both using just a valet.
Only problem is you need to get it cut.
I think sewell lexus or carson also sell new cut blanks and head just get the inners form ebay..
http://cgi.ebay.ca/98-99-1998-1999-2...QQcmdZViewItem

Quick Reply: Need advice...LOST MASTER KEY for 98 LS400