LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

clicking noise from engine. what could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-01, 01:32 AM
v8pwr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question clicking noise from engine. what could it be?

I was looking at this 1992 LS400 and realized that there's a clicking noise from engine.(driver side) The noise fluctuates according with the engine rpm. What could this be? I can barely hear it from inside of the car, but when the hood is open, I can definitely hear it. The car has 95000miles.

Also, how much is reasonable price for this car? Car is in nice condition except for this noise.

Thanks!
Old 12-16-01, 03:47 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Those are probably your valves. The job for recalibration is around $400. Just look at e-bay or some used car sites for the price. Hope you get it...wonderful car.
Old 12-17-01, 03:46 AM
v8pwr
Driver School Candidate

Smile

I see. Thanks!
Another question. Is this something serious which requires immediate attention?
Old 12-17-01, 04:14 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I doubt it is serious. At least that what mechanics told me. There are some fluids you can add to oil and try to fix the problem that way. If it does not work, you will have to do it the hard way ($400). Go to a local car service depot and ask them about that fluid you can use on your valves.

Hope this helps, good luck
Old 12-18-01, 01:55 PM
Lexusandrover
Driver School Candidate

While the problem could be the valves, make sure the exaust manifold gaskets aren't leaking. After a car gets old, the gaskets deteriorate and the engine spits exaust out of the leaking manifold gaskets creating a ticking noise. The noise is usually louder when the engine is cold. My Range Rover is ticking right now because of this very same problem. If this is the problem, it isn't a big deal and certainly wouldn't keep me from buying the car. Good luck.

Last edited by Lexusandrover; 12-18-01 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-18-01, 05:00 PM
v8pwr
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your replies!
I'm going to take a look at the car again today and decide whether to buy or not. The guy is asking $10000 for it, but he is willing to negotiate.
If everything, except for this noise, is in good shape, how much do you think is good/reasonable price?

Thanks again.
Old 12-18-01, 08:33 PM
rd8a
Driver School Candidate

8,000 is good, 9000 is reasonable. What options does it have?
Old 12-18-01, 11:47 PM
v8pwr
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Ok, so the guy is willing to sell for $8000.
This car has moonroof, Nakamichi system, and CD changer as option. It also has 4 fairly new tires. (replaced in April) He's got all the records of oil changes, and 60000mile Lexus maintenance service. I might need to have timing belt changed because it now has 95000miles.

He let me keep the car for a day (This guy is a friend of my friend) so that I can really see nothing is wrong with the car. (except for the clicking noise I mentioned earlier) So I have this car to myself overnight. What should I look for?
Please let me know. Thanks!
Old 12-19-01, 07:03 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Power steering leak!!! If it is leaking or has been leaking bad, figure in an alternator. The 12 disc changer sucks too. It is a love hate relationship with it NOT having errors.

ALWAYS, are you paying attention ALWAYS!!!! Have the car inspected by a competent mechanic. You can go by Lexus and have a used car inspection for the cost of an hour labor... This is the best peace of mind you/anyone can have with a used car.

Also purchase a extended warranty for the car since it has less than 100K miles. There are many great extended warr. companies that will insure the car for another 2-3 years up to 40K miles of coverage. Some let you pay monthly installments as you would on your car insurance.

Get the LS4 inspected... Don't get caught up in the hype of having a Lexus. Get the car inspected....

Then cruise your big body Lexo...

***LexandRover, my brother had a 97 Rover for a while. He enjoyed it a lot too. Do you know anything about the 95' - 97' Land Rover Discovery? There is a 96' for $10,800 with about 70K miles on it. Since the RR and the D share the same essential components(drivetrain) is it a worthy purchase based on what you know about LR? I know they are very thirsty SUV!!! Plus they are finicky maintenace SUV... ANything else you can add?

The Ikon

Last edited by The Ikon; 12-19-01 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-19-01, 11:07 AM
v8pwr
Driver School Candidate

I just called Lexus service department, and they told me that it will cost about $850 for valve adjustment! Isn't this little high???

I also asked about timing belt change, and it'll cost about $1200.

So it'll cost about $2000 to get these two things taken care of.
Maybe I shouldn't buy this car afterall?
What do you think?

Also, is there any good extended warranty company?
Thanks!
Old 12-19-01, 01:22 PM
rd8a
Driver School Candidate

Well, you are probably facing the two most expensive but ultimately inevitable services that all LS's require at 100k.
But you should have the valve noise inspected. It's true that they are adjustable but if the noise has been going on for a long time without being taken care of, you could possibly have damage that adjustment alone will not solve.
Also, whenever you buy aused car from a private party you have to expect to put in money to get it in top shape. If the valve noise gets cleared, I'd say you should go for it.
Old 12-19-01, 01:23 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

The are a damn lie $1200 :eek: The timing belt change is about $250 - $350 at a good import shop. The oem belt only cost about $50 bucks. I would change the water pump if I was you if you are going to replace the timing belt.

I got my timing belt, water pump, belt tensioners, radiator fluid replaced, and an oil change for around $700 bucks including parts. Everything is there once they break the car down, so no more labor!!!

As for the valve adjustment it is only about $250 - $300 bucks.. Just go to a good shop... If it is not bad, do this later in the spring or early summer...

Have the car inspected and enjoy the 400...

www.platinumwarrantycorp.com offers a 2 year 24000 mile warranty for only $499 for the Lexus auto...

As other warranty companies. www.Go.com search for "Auto extended warranty" there are a few of them to choose from. Also you can do a search here at CL. I responded with many links before a few months ago. Just use the CL search vehicle....

The Ikon

Last edited by The Ikon; 12-21-01 at 02:09 AM.
Old 12-19-01, 01:52 PM
Lexusandrover
Driver School Candidate

Ikon, here's what I know about Land Rovers. The newer the better. Discos can be great cars but are by no means as reliable as a Lexus. Look for fluid leaks, peeling dash board and rust on the frame and under the carpets. These are very tough trucks but they can be a real pain if not properly sorted out. The drivetrain is bulletproof if fluids are changed regularly. The 96 models suffered from extreme carbon buildup in the Intake manifold and some had to be flushed with walnut shells at around 30-40K miles. Just be careful and take your time. Some Rovers are great, others have many problems. even with their quirks, I wouldn't hesitate recommending one to a car enthusiast but they certainly aren't for everyone. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Lexusandrover; 12-19-01 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-19-01, 02:50 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Thanks LexandRvr. I have heard most of this except the carbon build up... Can you explain more if you can. What's with the walnut senario?
Old 12-19-01, 07:10 PM
Lexusandrover
Driver School Candidate

Sure. In 1996, LR upgraded the 3.9 V8 to 4.0 liters along with several other upgrades. The power output didn't change (still 182HP) but for some reason, the new intake manifold collected so much carbon that some cars were starting to run poorly with very low miles on them. This was mainly on the early 96 models so check the build date on the one you mentioned. As for the walnut shells, this was a tactic used by mechanics to clear carbon buildup. Crushed walnut shells were shot through the engine via machine and recirculated to try and clear any carbon. I don't even think they use this technique anymore. There may be more to this process but this is what I have heard. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. I wish i had asked more quesitons when I bought mine .

Quick Reply: clicking noise from engine. what could it be?