LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

'96 Brake rebuild... need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-07, 06:06 AM
Hit Man X
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up '96 Brake rebuild... need opinions

Well the brakes are about trashed on my ride. I've had great luck with Wagner pads and rotors on most of my fleet, so I am going that way. Low dust, no noise, and a lifetime warranty. That takes care of rotors/pads Can't beat it...

Next up, I wholesale parts and can only pick up reman front calipers. What should I do for the rears? How difficult is it to rebuild the single piston rears? I never rebuild when I can just pickup reman for nearly the cost of a rebuild kit.

Lastly, has anyone found stainless brake lines for the '95+ cars?

Thanks
Old 06-17-07, 12:20 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

shouldnt be too hard to rebuild, iirc the rebuild kit from toyota was like $15/each for the rears.

personally id choose some better pads but its ur money/car and i dont have any experience with that brand.

nope, nobody makes SS lines for our cars that have been confirmed to fit. ive been working on it for months.
Old 06-18-07, 12:56 AM
Hit Man X
Driver

Thumbs up

I've used the pads on most of my fleet, they're fantastic.

What needs to be done to have some SS lines built?
Old 06-18-07, 02:16 AM
Hit Man X
Driver

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 460LEX
When they say SS lines they mean Rubber lines with SS flex braid covering, like for your washing machine water lines. Just there to minimize the the bursting effect.

I am well aware of what I am looking for and speaking of... I run stainless lines on most of my rides to remove any ability for them to swell or crack.
Old 06-18-07, 01:58 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by 460LEX
Check out the tire rack they have ACT pads have been using them for years, very little brake dust. There is no SS hard lines because they would break as the wheel moves, When they say SS lines they mean Rubber lines with SS flex braid covering, like for your washing machine water lines. Just there to minimize the the bursting effect.
for the record, SS lines are normally Teflon lines with a braided SS covering. no rubber involved.

Hit Man X:
u could try contacting goodridge about the SS lines, but you would need to send them a set of lines so they could see if its feasible to make them. no, they wont send them back afterwards, even if they say no. im currently working with a couple companies to see if we can at least get a small run of them made so we'll see where that goes.
Old 06-19-07, 06:35 AM
Hit Man X
Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Hit Man X:
u could try contacting goodridge about the SS lines, but you would need to send them a set of lines so they could see if its feasible to make them. no, they wont send them back afterwards, even if they say no. im currently working with a couple companies to see if we can at least get a small run of them made so we'll see where that goes.

Tell me the year breaks and I can get some junk rubber lines from my parts yards connnections and mail them off. No big issue. I'll probably get the lines for $20 or less.

Looks like the '95+ are different than the '94 and older, correct? How far forward will the lines fit?
Old 06-19-07, 01:20 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Hit Man X
Tell me the year breaks and I can get some junk rubber lines from my parts yards connnections and mail them off. No big issue. I'll probably get the lines for $20 or less.

Looks like the '95+ are different than the '94 and older, correct? How far forward will the lines fit?
89-94 already have lines on the market, goodridge makes them. the problem is that they don't fit on the 95+ cars, tooooo tight. so the lines u want them to make would have to come from a 95-00 LS400.

go ahead and give goodridge a call, or send me a PM, they arent TOO far from where im located.
Old 06-19-07, 02:57 PM
Hit Man X
Driver

Thumbs up

go ahead and give goodridge a call, or send me a PM, they arent TOO far from where im located.

Okay rad, I'll try my damnedest to pick up a front and rear line from a parts car. I know where two '97s are currently.
Old 06-19-07, 04:07 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

good luck, most junkyards refused to sell me the brake lines citing liability issues, despite the fact that they wouldnt have gone on an actual car
Old 06-19-07, 04:13 PM
Hit Man X
Driver

Thumbs up

good luck, most junkyards refused to sell me the brake lines citing liability issues, despite the fact that they wouldnt have gone on an actual car

The place I go give me first dibs on vehicles before they even hit the hands of the public. I've probably spent $5-7k in the last few years with them.