LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Radio cuts in and out when I hit bumps / stop and go.. :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-07, 09:16 AM
turbosix
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio cuts in and out when I hit bumps / stop and go.. :(

Is there a certain "problem part" in the pioneer system in a 1LS? I hit a bump today on the highway and the cd changer cut out... exited the highway and hit another bump and it came back on... when i came to a stop for a red light it went 99% out.. you could barely hear it... when i hit the gas to go it came back on full volume.

i've noticed bumps affect it randomly but it seems stopping the car turns it off and acceleration brings the sound back on...

the power is always on during this... the speakers just seem to all lose signal...

not sure where to look first
Old 06-02-07, 12:01 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

does it do that when u use the radio instead of the CD changer?
Old 06-02-07, 11:49 PM
jasonm
Lead Lap

Check all the connections and make sure that there is no corrosion on the terminals in the connectors at the changer and behind the stereo and check the fuse also. Check your ground wires and make sure there is no corrosion going on.
Old 06-03-07, 09:26 AM
turbosix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
does it do that when u use the radio instead of the CD changer?
i didnt check.. my power antenna is somewhat broken. when it goes down the motor keeps going for like 30 seconds. i never use the radio for this reason

Originally Posted by jasonm
Check all the connections and make sure that there is no corrosion on the terminals in the connectors at the changer and behind the stereo and check the fuse also. Check your ground wires and make sure there is no corrosion going on.
well of course, but the point of asking if there was a specific problem spot was to not have to go through all of this dismantling here and there
Old 06-03-07, 11:42 AM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by turbosix
i didnt check.. my power antenna is somewhat broken. when it goes down the motor keeps going for like 30 seconds. i never use the radio for this reason

well of course, but the point of asking if there was a specific problem spot was to not have to go through all of this dismantling here and there
Disconnect the power lead to the antenna motor and try the radio. Even without the antenna extended, you should still have adequate reception, at least for testing purposes.
Old 06-03-07, 11:50 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

main reason for asking this is it would tell us if there is a fault in the CD changer or the HU itself.
Old 06-04-07, 01:20 AM
jasonm
Lead Lap

Well you can try out the changer area first and see how the connections are (super easy), and then check the connection at the radio. People on here have had issues with the head unit, amp and cd changer. The amp at the stereo may have a problem, or the wiring....or the cd changer may have a problem. It would be nice if it were "easy" but usually doesn't end up that way. It sounds like loose wires though.
Old 06-04-07, 11:50 AM
turbosix
Pole Position

i was going to check it out yesterday but the problem disappeared... wtf?

i guess i will put it off until it returns

but yeah i had been meaning to disconnect the power antenna lead for awhile now, just never got around to it