LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How much is this gonna cost? ('90 LS body damage)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-07, 06:05 PM
eh1337
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much is this gonna cost? ('90 LS body damage)

First and foremost I would like to thank these forums. You guys have helped me fix quite a few things on my car and saved me a lot of money. Your input is spot on and it also made me appreciate my car so much more. This is the final fix. I've been to the dealership and they pretty much laughed me out of the service department. I've been to car repair shops, but I always get terrible prices. I need this forum's input as to how much this body damage will cost me. This is a 1990 LS400 with no other body damage.

Yup, bullet holes. I've been quoted from $6000-$8500. This cannot be right. I am upset because my car is now ugly. Any help at all is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Edit: Can I also get a mod to change the thread title to add in car info (90 LS400) and also add in body damage?

Last edited by eh1337; 05-25-07 at 06:09 PM. Reason: more information
Old 05-25-07, 07:38 PM
uncle_el
Pole Position

the cost of a new hood is about $670 (according to an invoice from an accident last year), not including paint. including prep time and actually painting it, it might run about $900 or more.

not sure on the price for the front quarter panel and the door, and not sure if they could be spot welded, or if they'd just need to be replaced. given the amount of rest that seems to be present in the pics, you'd probably be better off replacing the quarter panel and the door.

also, your right side/passenger side headlight seems to be pushed back a bit, so you may have other issues besides bullet holes.

hopefully other members can chime in for the potential costs of the door and quarter panel.
Old 05-25-07, 08:52 PM
eh1337
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by uncle_el
the cost of a new hood is about $670 (according to an invoice from an accident last year), not including paint. including prep time and actually painting it, it might run about $900 or more.

not sure on the price for the front quarter panel and the door, and not sure if they could be spot welded, or if they'd just need to be replaced. given the amount of rest that seems to be present in the pics, you'd probably be better off replacing the quarter panel and the door.

also, your right side/passenger side headlight seems to be pushed back a bit, so you may have other issues besides bullet holes.

hopefully other members can chime in for the potential costs of the door and quarter panel.
You are correct, sir. It seems like a simple fix. In fact, I think I'll go handle that now. Thanks.
Old 05-25-07, 10:29 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

hood=~$400used in the right color
door=~$300-700 depending on condition/parts
fender=~$250-300 new OEM

then paint for the fender (and the door+hood if they're the wrong color) and labor to have it all put on.
Old 05-25-07, 10:30 PM
pito
Lead Lap

Junkyard parts all the way

Use
www.car-part.com

www.craigslist.org

www.ebay.com

You can find the parts you need. I would just change out the fender and hood, you might come out cheaper
Old 05-26-07, 09:55 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
fender=~$250-300 new OEM

then paint for the fender (and the door+hood if they're the wrong color) and labor to have it all put on.
These are good estimates
Old 05-26-07, 10:07 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cover it up with those bullet hole stickers
Old 05-26-07, 10:52 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The hole on the door and the hood should be simple cut and weld jobs to save some $$$. The fender could be also, but it looks like the rust has eaten it a bit and also it looks like its bent as well. For that kind of money to repair it, its better to start with a better foundation (new or used fender).

If your car is pearl white, it could be of all the blending of panels (they probably quoted you for a full repaint as well or should at THAT price).

With fixing all that damage and painting, I would put it around $2000-2200 in California prices. I know shops here in So Cal that would do it for that much.

-A

BTW, whoever shot at your car is a terrible marksman. Are you at liberty to discuss?
Old 05-26-07, 11:28 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I don't believe you'd need to replace the panels for this. A good body shop can cut or pound the dimple out and weld in an appropriate piece of steel. That isn't too costly. What is going to hurt is the paint work.

Where in CA are you...perhaps one of the guys here can suggest a shop to get an estimate.
Old 05-27-07, 05:28 AM
eh1337
Driver School Candidate

fender=~$250-300 new OEM

Thanks! The labor shouldn't be a problem since my brother's friend is a mechanic. I like him because he doesn't jack up the price because it's a Lexus. There are a lot of mechanics out in my area that purposely quote people high because they own a Lexus. Some say it's because they're a pain to work on, others say it's because it's a Lexus and they know/think we can afford it. Personally, I think it's both, and I think it's wrong.

Originally Posted by avalon42
The hole on the door and the hood should be simple cut and weld jobs to save some $$$. The fender could be also, but it looks like the rust has eaten it a bit and also it looks like its bent as well. For that kind of money to repair it, its better to start with a better foundation (new or used fender).

If your car is pearl white, it could be of all the blending of panels (they probably quoted you for a full repaint as well or should at THAT price).

With fixing all that damage and painting, I would put it around $2000-2200 in California prices. I know shops here in So Cal that would do it for that much.

-A

BTW, whoever shot at your car is a terrible marksman. Are you at liberty to discuss?

The guy was shooting at my brother, who took cover behind my car. It was lame because my brother could've taken cover behind a brick wall, but chose my car instead. Apparently my brother was going the speed limit and some guy didn't like that, so he swerved into the bike lane and cut my brother off and then slammed on his brakes. My brother stopped and got out of his car and they had some words, then went back to their respective vehicles. As my brother is walking back to my car, the other guy just opens fire. Shot my brother in the right flank and did $4000 (so far) in damages to my car. Oh well, I love my LS400 enough to pay for it all. I think the guy was a decent marksman. He was driving away from my car, shooting backwards at it. He also nailed the back right passenger window, but I already got that replaced. On second thought, he was awful. He unloaded his entire clip (9 shots). At my car and only scored 5 on my car and 1 in my brother. Eh...

Originally Posted by Thermactor
A lot of people think they are until I notify them that they aren't. I remember this guy pulling up next to me and then this conversation happened:

Him: Bullet hole stickers are gay!

Me: I agree.

Him: So what are you doin' sportin'em eh?

Me: I'm not. *smile*

The guy then looked my damage a little closer and then slowly took his right turn.

Originally Posted by RA40
I don't believe you'd need to replace the panels for this. A good body shop can cut or pound the dimple out and weld in an appropriate piece of steel. That isn't too costly. What is going to hurt is the paint work.

Where in CA are you...perhaps one of the guys here can suggest a shop to get an estimate.

I live in Pleasanton, CA. It's kinda in the bay area. I was thinking about getting it monotoned anyway. It's just with all the lawyer fees right now plus my car payments (genius me decided to buy an 2Gen IS350 after the incident) I really need to watch my spending. I also thought I would've sold my house by now. Oh well. Suggest away!

Last edited by eh1337; 05-27-07 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Adding Info
Old 05-27-07, 08:06 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by eh1337
The guy was shooting at my brother, who took cover behind my car. It was lame because my brother could've taken cover behind a brick wall, but chose my car instead. Apparently my brother was going the speed limit and some guy didn't like that, so he swerved into the bike lane and cut my brother off and then slammed on his brakes. My brother stopped and got out of his car and they had some words, then went back to their respective vehicles. As my brother is walking back to my car, the other guy just opens fire. Shot my brother in the right flank and did $4000 (so far) in damages to my car. Oh well, I love my LS400 enough to pay for it all. I think the guy was a decent marksman. He was driving away from my car, shooting backwards at it. He also nailed the back right passenger window, but I already got that replaced. On second thought, he was awful. He unloaded his entire clip (9 shots). At my car and only scored 5 on my car and 1 in my brother. Eh...
I'm very sorry to hear that. Hopefully that nutcase went to prison for a very long time. Assault With Deadly Weapon = Felony here in California and just about everywhere else. Not to mention attempted murder. That guy would end up with three strikes all in one shot...

Oh BTW, you can recoup the loss through court. It would be a civil action, but he would be responsible for damages and grief due to your car and your bro. He'll be paying that off making license plates for the rest of his life.

Last edited by avalon42; 05-27-07 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-27-07, 11:07 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

sucks about your bro, whats his damage report?

oh, and there was no 2nd gen IS350, the IS350 is still in its first gen

i think u meant 2nd gen IS.
Old 05-27-07, 08:39 PM
runumhard
Driver

Originally Posted by Thermactor

hahahahaha
Old 05-27-07, 09:00 PM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

it looks like your head light might be gone too, at least the bracket is. I don't think you'll spend more than 2k for the damage. Good luck!!
Old 05-27-07, 09:16 PM
eh1337
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by avalon42
I'm very sorry to hear that. Hopefully that nutcase went to prison for a very long time. Assault With Deadly Weapon = Felony here in California and just about everywhere else. Not to mention attempted murder. That guy would end up with three strikes all in one shot...

Oh BTW, you can recoup the loss through court. It would be a civil action, but he would be responsible for damages and grief due to your car and your bro. He'll be paying that off making license plates for the rest of his life.
That's kinda iffy at the moment. He's done a good job of hiding his assets. He owned a business and a plethora of nice cars plus a few houses. Somehow he managed to make them all disappear. My lawyer said he doesn't have anything worth going after. As if that wasn't bad enough, he hasn't even been tried yet (The shooting happened on October 7th 2006, and he was caught on October 10th 2006). So this is taking forever! I have to hope he gets found guilty and then I can go after him and hopefully garnish his wages. Oh well.

sucks about your bro, whats his damage report?

oh, and there was no 2nd gen IS350, the IS350 is still in its first gen

i think u meant 2nd gen IS.
My brother is fine. The bullet is too close to his spine for them to do surgery to remove it though. He's off the painkillers, but boy howdy is he in debt (no insurance). He still whines about it from time to time though. Can't say I blame him. If you've ever wondered what it feels like to get shot, apparently it feels like a hot rod being shoved into you, and then instantly after the hot, it turns cold. Then you don't feel anything for a while. My guess is shock. Anyway, he's a-okay.

Also, yeah I did mean the 2nd Gen IS. I bought it and planned on pimpin' it out, but then all this crap happened, so now I'm selling my truck.

Originally Posted by JDMCelsior
it looks like your head light might be gone too, at least the bracket is. I don't think you'll spend more than 2k for the damage. Good luck!!
Thanks for the intel, I tried pushing it back out last night, but I only made it worse.

Last edited by eh1337; 05-27-07 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Grammar?

Quick Reply: How much is this gonna cost? ('90 LS body damage)