LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Modified my air intake using Jbrady Mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-07, 07:15 AM
timer00
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modified my air intake using Jbrady Mod

Well I just couldn't resist so I decided to cut up my air box and do the Jbrady mod.
I'll have to wait til later before I drive with the new thing in but heres some pics of the not exactly perfect but good enough cut out job.

I'll let you know how it sounds and runs later on today.. plus I'll try a digital camera video for everyone.

Old 05-24-07, 07:27 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just used LexKosts mod, but with the original filter. That way I didn't have to hack up the airbox. It'll sound very nicely though...VERY nicely.

Now, open up the exhaust.
Old 05-24-07, 08:12 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by timer00
Well I just couldn't resist so I decided to cut up my air box and do the Jbrady mod.
I'll have to wait til later before I drive with the new thing in but heres some pics of the not exactly perfect but good enough cut out job.

I'll let you know how it sounds and runs later on today.. plus I'll try a digital camera video for everyone.

Err, nice. What the heck did you use to cut the box?
Old 05-24-07, 11:25 AM
timer00
Pole Position

haha well I don't have immediate access to a jigsaw machine so after I drilled the pilot hole to start I found that by putting pressure on the drill and cutting with the drill bit worked pretty good. It really wasn't that bad except for the top piece by the bracket holder which was the thick fins I had to cut through...

I drove the car a lot yesteday and it has a nice prrr lower down and really growels above 3k. Only ran it to 6200 once but it did sound awesome. Throttle response was better than when I got it and power wise I dunno.

I do know when I was on the interstate and cruise control the car at 65mph on flat to very slight incline the instant mpg would go between 28 and 32mpg so that was surprising.
Old 05-24-07, 12:38 PM
greenvy2k
Lead Lap

well my car gets that mileage using cruise control. so i don't think that is really unusual.
Old 05-24-07, 12:54 PM
timer00
Pole Position

Well I guess since I really hadn't done a baseline cruise control on the interstate run thats why I was surprised I guess.

My current tank average after about 100 miles of sensible driving with some quick starts was 22.2mpg so far.
Old 05-24-07, 03:26 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

I tell you what really suprised me was one night it was around 60* and the sun had just set, there was no breeze at all and I set the cruise at 65 MPH and got 35MPG in straight parts. Up an incline was about 33, and up a really steep one was around 22. I thought it was impressive for a V8.
Old 05-24-07, 03:41 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Doesn't seem like a very good mod to me. With stock intake, the engine is sucking more or less cold air from the grille, but with this mod, its sucking the very hot air from the engine bay. You know, you have the radiators, and the fans blowing the air into the engine bay, and this air is probably well over 100 degrees hot.
Old 05-24-07, 03:58 PM
jasonm
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do they have dremel tools where your at?
Old 05-24-07, 04:03 PM
timer00
Pole Position

Well jbrady had a make shift heat shield for all this I haven't got around to that yet.
Getting another stock part to return to normal is no problem so I am not worried that much.

I just did this because I didn't really hear of many people doing it and wanted to experiment and see for myself I am not really claiming gains of this or that just my observations. Any intake (even filter on a stick) is going to be prone to hot engine air unless its runs into the fender like the cold air aem on my 93 camry. So a heat shield is an important part nonetheless.

And as per a previous post about mileage from TJW on the highway I was getting about 35 on flat parts of I-81 in PA there just isn't many in the route I took yesterday. It was about 72 or so and sunny and 5-10 mph winds.

Old 05-24-07, 04:15 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Doesn't seem like a very good mod to me. With stock intake, the engine is sucking more or less cold air from the grille, but with this mod, its sucking the very hot air from the engine bay. You know, you have the radiators, and the fans blowing the air into the engine bay, and this air is probably well over 100 degrees hot.
ive been talking to a few companies about making heatshield and honestly, it doesnt make THAT much of a difference. also, the stock intake MAY be drawing in slightly cooler air but the tubing is MUCH more restrictive.
Old 05-24-07, 05:23 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
ive been talking to a few companies about making heatshield and honestly, it doesnt make THAT much of a difference. also, the stock intake MAY be drawing in slightly cooler air but the tubing is MUCH more restrictive.
Oh yea, there is def. a limit to how much it's going to allow through. you will gain maybe 1-3 HP to the crank with an open filter, but if you were to change out the tube with something straight and non-metal (Preferably the same plastic used in the original tubing) you'd be looking at possibly 7-10 HP

I know that between the metal tubes and plastic tubes, the metal will get much hotter inside.
Old 05-24-07, 05:25 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Well, maybe you're right, but if you open the hood when the engine is warm, the heat under the hood is pretty damn intense, even the MAF housing gets too hot to touch. So I think stock intake is drawing in much cooler air, making up for all the restrictions.
Old 05-25-07, 02:24 PM
timer00
Pole Position

For anyone interested I did a short video of what the car sounds like stock after doing the Jbrady type mod to the airbox.

Note.. I had the driver window open and was pulling out and going up a steep hill in the video.

http://www.tamaquatech.com/t1m3r/Lexus_Jbrady.mpg
Old 05-25-07, 07:12 PM
Razor
Driver School Candidate

WOW!!! Sounds great.

Anyway I can have that sound without hacking up the intake??

Quick Reply: Modified my air intake using Jbrady Mod