LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Just Passed Emissions Test

Old 05-13-07, 11:47 AM
LexChamp
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Passed Emissions Test

My engine light was on due to a bank 1 sensor 2 reading and I need it to take car for an emissions test in order to get my plates from DMV. I dont know how it is in other states but in CT if your engine light is on you automatically fail. A few minutes before the car was to be tested, I disconnected the battery for a short time. To my surprice the engine light went off. The car was tested and it passed with no problems.

I was under the impression that even if you disconected the battery, the computer would still hold the information for at least, who knows, but more than a few minutes. Can anybody explain this.

Do I still need to replace the sensor ? I've driven the car for a day and the light has not come back on.
Old 05-13-07, 12:18 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

woah o.O

here in CA, if they read the sensor and it says it was reset <200mi. ago its an automatic failure.
Old 05-14-07, 08:13 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL
Here they don't care if the light is even on. My es300 has it stuck on from the EGR and it still passes perfectly every time . Actually passes better than brand new cars they do as the egr stays open.
Old 05-14-07, 08:17 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

In Mexico City, they don't care about CELs or modifications, as long as you pass. That thing about the reseting less than 200 years is related to readiness monitors that can be observed with some OBD scanners to see if things like cats are ready or not. Usually about 1 hour of driving will reset those monitors to a ready position.
Old 05-17-07, 05:00 PM
mac6694
Driver

uh...I'm in car heaven here, we don't get tested. You gents are speaking greek. What exactly does this test look for? A certain type of pollutant in your exhaust? Damning info from your car's computer?
Old 05-17-07, 11:09 PM
CptnTonus
Lexus Test Driver

I was driving my Eclipse down a crowded downtown street in the heart of San Diego, going roughly 10mph. A cop heard my exhaust and promptly pulled me over, even though I was doing nothing illegal. Admittedly, the exhaust on my car was pretty loud, and going off that, he had me pop my hood. I had a host of illegal modifications under there, lots of obvious things, but he had no idea what he was looking at. Regardless, he didn't need to know what he was looking at, he had the benefit of the doubt. He wrote me a ticket for "modified smog device", which wasn't BS, because the car had no smog devices on it whatsoever.

Anyone who lives here in California and drives a modded car knows what this means, I got sent to the smog referee. I had to put my car completely back to stock. That meant changing the turbo, camshafts, fuel injectors, intercooler and piping, and re-installing all the smog devices which were missing (including the catalytic converter.) Then I drove my car to a shop where guys in lab coats meticulously poured over my car testing every possible function of it. Needless to say, I passed the test, and the ticket was released. I had all the modifications back on my car in less than a week's time. Lesson learned? Don't get caught, and be glad you don't live in California if you like having a heavily modded car that was built after 1974.
Old 05-18-07, 01:04 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CptnTonus
I was driving my Eclipse down a crowded downtown street in the heart of San Diego, going roughly 10mph. A cop heard my exhaust and promptly pulled me over, even though I was doing nothing illegal. Admittedly, the exhaust on my car was pretty loud, and going off that, he had me pop my hood. I had a host of illegal modifications under there, lots of obvious things, but he had no idea what he was looking at. Regardless, he didn't need to know what he was looking at, he had the benefit of the doubt. He wrote me a ticket for "modified smog device", which wasn't BS, because the car had no smog devices on it whatsoever.

Anyone who lives here in California and drives a modded car knows what this means, I got sent to the smog referee. I had to put my car completely back to stock. That meant changing the turbo, camshafts, fuel injectors, intercooler and piping, and re-installing all the smog devices which were missing (including the catalytic converter.) Then I drove my car to a shop where guys in lab coats meticulously poured over my car testing every possible function of it. Needless to say, I passed the test, and the ticket was released. I had all the modifications back on my car in less than a week's time. Lesson learned? Don't get caught, and be glad you don't live in California if you like having a heavily modded car that was built after 1974.
i thought it was just 30 years, so wouldnt it be 77?
Old 05-18-07, 01:10 AM
CptnTonus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
i thought it was just 30 years, so wouldnt it be 77?
I'm pretty sure they locked it at '74. Something the govenator did a couple years back. It won't keep advancing. Pretty lame.