LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Smoking from rear of engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-07, 11:32 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Smoking from rear of engine

Well it just happened today, but after a cool 15 minute run at 95-110mph tailing a rabbit and pulling off at an exit ramp, the car (91 LS400 w/164k miles) stalls itself out, start it back up and cant keep it on unless constant gas is kept on it.

Pull it into a parking lot and let it shut itself off, notice smoke coming from under hood and look at the temperature gauge, which is at half, as usual.

Popping open the hood the smoke is more plentiful and i notice it's coming from the rear, then noticed the coolant reservoir is close to empty so i pour a bit of coolant into it.

Start the engine back up and keep my foot on the gas for a minute so it doesnt die out, finally i get my foot off it and it idles really low (350-400) for a couple seconds and then jumps to 1000 for a couple more seconds, then balances out at 600 as it's always normally been.

Running the engine for a couple miles decide to check on it, so pop open the hood and it's smoking from rear again, and coolant reservoir is a little emptier than left previously, so i fill it back up and at this point i am worried.

Anyway, the engine's been running very smooth and quiet with little to no power loss, but it's still smoking from the rear when the engine is cut off, and most recently tonight when i was parking and the engine was on, idle was normal and i start seeing that smoke again which i found odd because the engine was still on...Any help/suggestions out there?

I've been told a couple things by different people today about it, one said the rear main seal, one said the spark plugs were fouled and need to be replaced.
Old 04-02-07, 11:38 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by litesoarer
Well it just happened today, but after a cool 15 minute run at 95-110mph tailing a rabbit and pulling off at an exit ramp, the car (91 LS400 w/164k miles) stalls itself out, start it back up and cant keep it on unless constant gas is kept on it.

Pull it into a parking lot and let it shut itself off, notice smoke coming from under hood and look at the temperature gauge, which is at half, as usual.

Popping open the hood the smoke is more plentiful and i notice it's coming from the rear, then noticed the coolant reservoir is close to empty so i pour a bit of coolant into it.

Start the engine back up and keep my foot on the gas for a minute so it doesnt die out, finally i get my foot off it and it idles really low (350-400) for a couple seconds and then jumps to 1000 for a couple more seconds, then balances out at 600 as it's always normally been.

Running the engine for a couple miles decide to check on it, so pop open the hood and it's smoking from rear again, and coolant reservoir is a little emptier than left previously, so i fill it back up and at this point i am worried.

Anyway, the engine's been running very smooth and quiet with little to no power loss, but it's still smoking from the rear when the engine is cut off, and most recently tonight when i was parking and the engine was on, idle was normal and i start seeing that smoke again which i found odd because the engine was still on...Any help/suggestions out there?

I've been told a couple things by different people today about it, one said the rear main seal, one said the spark plugs were fouled and need to be replaced.
Are you still loosing coolant? I'm no expert, but white smoke and coolant loss without obvious leaking sounds like a blown headgasket to me. Hopefully this isn't your case.
Old 04-02-07, 11:58 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

no it doesnt seem to be losing any more coolant
Old 04-03-07, 05:19 AM
Boyscout
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

check the coolant hoses that run into the firewall (for your heater core). maybe one of the clamps is loose and dripping coolant onto the exhaust.