LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Avalon vrs. LS400

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-07, 09:39 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Avalon vrs. LS400

What are the MAJOR differences between the
LS400 and the Avalon thaty justify the MAJOR
price difference ..... I have driven both and
favour the LS400, its tempting to consider
the Avalon strictly for $$ reasons.

Please be specific, as I want to consider all
aspects before I decide.

Thanks
Old 04-02-07, 09:46 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

they are a completely different class of car. to compare them would be to compare apples to oranges.

avalon=
V6
FWD
smaller car overall
interior isnt AS nice

LS400=
V8
RWD
Bigger car overall
nicer materials inside.
Old 04-02-07, 09:53 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well Stu it was pretty easy for me. I bought a new Avalon XLS and spent thousands customizing it with drop springs, rims, spoilers, etc. I drove both the Avalon and LS for one year before selling the Avalon. Here's why:

1. V8 rear wheel drive
2. Improved performance (torque and acceleration)
3. Much improved suspension (especially in the rear)
4. Much improved sound insulation (glass, floor, body, etc.)
5. The LS is the most reliable car in the world according to Consumer Reports
6. Fuel economy for my LS is near the Avalon's

There will be more posts to further support the decision to go with the LS over the Avalon but at the end of the day go with what YOU like bro.
Old 04-02-07, 09:58 AM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stu
What are the MAJOR differences between the
LS400 and the Avalon thaty justify the MAJOR
price difference ..... I have driven both and
favour the LS400, its tempting to consider
the Avalon strictly for $$ reasons.

Please be specific, as I want to consider all
aspects before I decide.

Thanks
I have owned both.
A 1996 LS400 and a 1996 Avalon, which I gave to my mother when I bought the Lexus.

The Avalon is a pimped-out Camry. It's big and quiet. Easy to work on. Parts are cheap and available because of commonality. Good gas mileage. Good power- peppier than my LS.

The Lexus is an absolutely different car. VERY complex, VERY intricate, LOTS of little expensive things to break here and there. Somewhat more comfortable than the Avalon, somewhat better looking, somewhat quieter and more luxurious - but not really by much.

You can get the Avalon for a great car that'll get it done cheaply, or the Lexus for an expensive status symbol.

The Lexus is more reliable than... say, a Mercedes, but it still has more expensive things to break than the Avalon. Caveat emptor.
Old 04-02-07, 12:13 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
.... LS400=nicer materials inside.
this is one I really didn't notice, but I will take a closer look. The other points you make are not things that particularly concern me. Thanks for the input.

Originally Posted by steveski
Well Stu it was pretty easy for me. I bought a new Avalon XLS and spent thousands customizing it with drop springs, rims, spoilers, etc. I drove both the Avalon and LS for one year before selling the Avalon.
I don't modify cars much, I plan to keep what I buy stock. But from the sounds of it you are better with an more upscale vehicle. Thanks for your reply, I will take the points made into consideration when I make my choice

Originally Posted by Thermactor
You can get the Avalon for a great car that'll get it done cheaply, or the Lexus for an expensive status symbol.
Yup, this is exactly what appeals to me aboiut the Avalon.

I know I would love owning/driving an LS400. I will both for an extended test drive, but right now I think an Avalon would be a better choice for me. The LS400 is probably too much car for me in many ways.
Old 04-02-07, 06:14 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stu
I know I would love owning/driving an LS400. I will both for an extended test drive, but right now I think an Avalon would be a better choice for me. The LS400 is probably too much car for me in many ways.

Is this Stu from the Legend forums? This is ChrisK if it is. If not never mind

Anyway, what year Avalon are you looking at? I haven't checked out too many older Avalon's, but I did compare the 07 Avalon to the 07 camry. During my personal evaluation I came away thinking why buy the Avalon when the Camry has just as much to offer fora lot less. Camry V6 had more power, 6-Speed trans vs 5-Speed in the Avalon (Granted, only the new LS has a 6-Speed as well), better looking over all (Too me at least). Anyway, without really knowing what year Avalon and what year LS400 you are looking at it is hard to determine which would be the better over all car for you. Too many variables between the different years of cars. By the way, I have a 99 LS400 myself, so you could probably guess what my opinion would be since I ended up buying an LS
Old 04-02-07, 06:50 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Is this Stu from the Legend forums? This is ChrisK if it is. If not never mind

Anyway, what year Avalon are you looking at? I haven't checked out too many older Avalon's, but I did compare the 07 Avalon to the 07 camry. During my personal evaluation I came away thinking why buy the Avalon when the Camry has just as much to offer fora lot less. Camry V6 had more power, 6-Speed trans vs 5-Speed in the Avalon (Granted, only the new LS has a 6-Speed as well), better looking over all (Too me at least). Anyway, without really knowing what year Avalon and what year LS400 you are looking at it is hard to determine which would be the better over all car for you. Too many variables between the different years of cars. By the way, I have a 99 LS400 myself, so you could probably guess what my opinion would be since I ended up buying an LS
Hi ChrisK ... yes its me from A-L.com. This forum is quite a step up .... a older and wiser crowd - a very nice place !

I was thinking about a 98 - 99 LS400 or a slightly newer Avalon, 2001-2003
I agree the Camry is a great car, but it lacks the luxury and size I want. Because I live in Canada, I prefer a front wheel drive, and V8 power really is of little use for me and the way I drive, my Legend almost never sees 3500 rpms !

My major reservation about the LS400 is the cost of keeping up with the maintenence and normal repairs, a feeding gas into a heavier car with a V8 motor. I am really NOT looking for a status symbol, so the Avalon seems to be a good solution.
Old 04-02-07, 06:58 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Stu
Hi ChrisK ... yes its me from A-L.com. This forum is quite a step up .... a older and wiser crowd - a very nice place !

I was thinking about a 98 - 99 LS400 or a slightly newer Avalon, 2001-2003
I agree the Camry is a great car, but it lacks the luxury and size I want. Because I live in Canada, I prefer a front wheel drive, and V8 power really is of little use for me and the way I drive, my Legend almost never sees 3500 rpms !

My major reservation about the LS400 is the cost of keeping up with the maintenence and normal repairs, a feeding gas into a heavier car with a V8 motor. I am really NOT looking for a status symbol, so the Avalon seems to be a good solution.
Sounds like a good choice for your sutuation. Believe it or not, maintenace and parts for the Lexus seem more expensive than even my Acura NSX. Lower front platic bumper spoiler for my SC400 was $300+ at the dealer. Same similar part for my NSX was $100 list. Aluminum lower control arms for both cars are about the same. Lexus cars do last a long time, but to be honest maintenance cost has been more than any of my Acura cars and even my BMW. Still, properly taken care of they last a lont time so I guess it could even out when its all said and done
Old 04-02-07, 07:09 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Lexus cars do last a long time, but to be honest maintenance cost has been more than any of my Acura cars and even my BMW.
I am not surprised to hear Lexus service is more $$ than Acura, but more than a BMW - that is a surprise. I bought my Legend and not an LS400 for the same reason I am now leaning toward an Avalon. My Legend has been amazing, its just getting old in years. It only has 96,000 miles (160,000 kms) so I am sure I can run it many more years if I need to.
Old 04-02-07, 07:13 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Stu
I am not surprised to hear Lexus service is more $$ than Acura, but more than a BMW - that is a surprise. I bought my Legend and not an LS400 for the same reason I am now leaning toward an Avalon. My Legend has been amazing, its just getting old in years. It only has 96,000 miles (160,000 kms) so I am sure I can run it many more years if I need to.

In my BMW's defense I believe the parts are probably the same or maybe even higher, but I had to do little actual maintenance on it during the time I owned it. So maybe that is not an apples to apples comparison.
Old 04-02-07, 08:01 PM
NJ240sxMan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It usually helps a lot to be able to install parts on your own. Saves a lot in terms of cost.
Old 04-02-07, 08:55 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by NJ240sxMan
It usually helps a lot to be able to install parts on your own. Saves a lot in terms of cost.

I hear you. I actually install everything myself that I can. Full A/V, suspension, body kits, some engine parts. The only thing I actually send out is for paint and body work and major engine and mechnical repairs. However, when my car is under warranty I still take it to the dealership just so I can have an easy track record and it seems like potential buyers like dealer serviced cars for some reason.
Old 04-02-07, 09:08 PM
NJ240sxMan
Pole Position

Ah, but there difference is you seem to plan on selling your cars eventually. I plan on keeping mine, forever.

Btw, what year is your NSX?
Old 04-02-07, 09:24 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by NJ240sxMan
Ah, but there difference is you seem to plan on selling your cars eventually. I plan on keeping mine, forever.

Btw, what year is your NSX?
NSX was a 92. I just sold it to my brother, so I'll be looking to get another one later next year or so. I love that car Often I don't plan on selling my cars, but I know the reality is I probably will. That is why I keep all my stock parts as well so I can return it to stock if need be. I just like to optimize my selling potential if the time comes. Here is a link to some of my NSX and other mod projects if you are interested. Nothing too hard core, but I did it all myself so I learned a few things here and there

www.pbase.com/chrisk/nsx

www.pbase.com/chrisk/rx330

PS. We should probably get back on topic. I myself should know better being a moderator

Last edited by CK6Speed; 04-02-07 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-02-07, 09:54 PM
NJ240sxMan
Pole Position

Okay, BTW Stu, what year avalon and LS400 are you comparing?

Quick Reply: Avalon vrs. LS400