LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What fuel additives do you use, and how often?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-07, 12:17 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you adding Seafoam into the gas tank at all? And waht about adding it into the oil? Do you do this right before an oil change?

How much of it do you add into the oil if you do so?

HOw much do you add into the gas tank?

I think the PCV valve is the best way to get the Seafoam in on the first gens.. thats what someoen else on this board did, I believe it was Och.
Old 03-18-07, 12:28 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Instructions are on the bottle.
But your questions were answered earlier.
The pvc is not the best by far it is as good as the brake booster. Which is what i did not recommend doing earlier.
Originally Posted by skperformance

It also does wonders in the oil which is partly why i do it at an oil change but it is needed 1 time a year instead. The rest of the can i used for the intake i stick in 1/2 a tank of gas and away i go.
Originally Posted by Suneet
Are you adding Seafoam into the gas tank at all? And waht about adding it into the oil? Do you do this right before an oil change?

How much of it do you add into the oil if you do so?

HOw much do you add into the gas tank?

I think the PCV valve is the best way to get the Seafoam in on the first gens.. thats what someoen else on this board did, I believe it was Och.
Old 03-18-07, 01:07 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

I read what you posted earlier, I was just unclear about some of the things you said.

E.g. your statement about adding seafoam to the tank was ambiguous. I wasn't sure if you were adding 1/2 half a bottle into the tank, or 1/2 tank of gas along with a 1/2 of a bottle of seafoam.

I also wasn't sure how much of the seafoam bottle you put in with your oil.
Old 03-18-07, 12:09 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Use 1/2 a can in the intake
the other 1/2 in the gas tank
a full can in your oil before a change.

There are tons of seafoam threads for reference as well.
Old 03-18-07, 01:28 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the info. Do you reccomend a certain amount of driving be done once you put the seafoam in your oil, and before you actually get the oil change done? I remember reading in another thread that someone suggested you should drive atleast 100 miles after adding seafoam in the oil and then getting an oil change.
Old 03-18-07, 07:47 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Would it hurt to put the whole can in the tank on a fill up? I'm very iffy about seafoam.
Old 03-18-07, 09:29 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.seafoamsales.com/products.htm

Wait, are you guys talking about this stuff? Looks like a household product cleaner...

...and do you use the additives all at once?
Old 03-19-07, 01:40 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

You can use the whole can in a full tank of gas , hell you can use a whole can in 1/2 a tank like i do.
I only would drive the car around the block driving it for longer makes it heat up and stop cleaning . Remember the post above ,it has a low boiling point ,so once it is up to operating temp it starts to evaporate and is useless.
Old 03-27-07, 10:24 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Okay so I decided to try out this seafoam stuff. I read many threads on the forum about it, including this one. A lot of people keep saying that if you put it in the crankcase you need to get an oil change very soon, as well as change the plugs out etc. So I decided to avoid the crank case all together. I put 1 pint into my gas tank with a full tank, and now I just sucked about half apint into my engine through the PCV hose. I'm gonna take SK's suggestion and get a valve and hose etc and next time do it through the intake. I'm due for a oil change in about 1500 miles, so I'll do it then. I'll also do my crankcase then, and replace my spark plugs and wires then.

So I just sucked it in through the PCV.. the engine didn't hydrolock. I had my dad rev it a bit when he felt it choking, and I got it all in. The car is sitting now, I'll turn it on in afew minutes and take it for a test drive. I'll post the results later tonight
Old 03-27-07, 11:10 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

WOW! Seafoam rocks! I just let the car idle for about 10 minutes.. it spewed out THICK THICK white smoke. I drove it around and from 0-40 the car feels a lot faster. I'm not really sure yet. Its way too wet outside.. I can't find any dry enough places to floor it and see how it goes.

I want to try a second treatment after about another 1000 miles and see how that goes. But so far, I am impressed with the results.
Old 03-27-07, 11:52 PM
CptnTonus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
lucas fuel injector cleaner, great stuff
I tried the Lucas stuff in my Eclipse once just for shi*s and giggles, and I noticed no difference whatsoever, but I probably didn't need it in the first place. I'm interested in this seafoam stuff, I've seen videos of people using it on streetfire. Perhaps I'll give it a shot, I have a feeling my car didn't get beaten on very much throughout its life, and thus there are probably deposits galore.
Old 03-28-07, 06:49 AM
mac6694
Driver

Seafoam works wonders. Also if I can't get good gas for whatever reason I generally add a couple (that means two) ounces of acetone before filling up. I've found that down here so near the border, the gas quality just isn't as good as elsewhere...I'm starting to understand why there's so much money in fuel additives.
Old 03-28-07, 06:58 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Seafoam is good stuff... i've used it in several cars, and it has served me well. Hopefully will treat my SC to a can soon...
Old 03-28-07, 07:32 AM
pito
Lead Lap

Sea foam is good

You could also try BG44K from a nissan or Infiniti dealer. It is actually a better cleaner than seafoam though a little pricey, but its what alot of dealerships use.
Old 03-30-07, 03:17 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just finished a tankful of gas with a full can of Sea Foam and while I didn't see any white smoke, I did see the idle smooth out. I also averaged 24 MPG for the entire tank (and I have 174k miles on the car).

I got the car inspected today (on the dyno) and it was at the extreme low part of every factor in the test. The tech was blown away that is scored so low in every category.

Quick Reply: What fuel additives do you use, and how often?