LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-07, 02:06 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS400 Rebuild

Well since the weather is getting nicer, I decided to actually start fixing my LS400.

Original Damage:

Fun to see dried mud fall out of car

Just bolted on the new used fender. I will straighten and align later on. (ignore power steering leak Im gonna fix that crap once and for all too!!

another view of the install

Here is a pic of the damaged door that needs to be pulled out and fixed. I also picked up a good complete side mirror to replace to bootleg random glass fix mirror that the car has been running

Plans are to strip and remove all door cladding, window moldings and handles, lights, moldings so I can get the car ready for paint.

Last edited by B.Diddy; 03-03-07 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-03-07, 02:17 PM
Mobstar
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck,
are you just gonna Rebuild it up or stock or is there a Theme to it?
Old 03-03-07, 02:31 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Its getting the full VIP treatment
Old 03-03-07, 02:45 PM
takumi117
Driver

Originally Posted by B.Diddy
Well since the weather is getting nicer, I decided to actually start fixing my LS400.

Original Damage:

Fun to see dried mud fall out of car

Just bolted on the new used fender. I will straighten and align later on. (ignore power steering leak Im gonna fix that crap once and for all too!!

another view of the install

Here is a pic of the damaged door that needs to be pulled out and fixed. I also picked up a good complete side mirror to replace to bootleg random glass fix mirror that the car has been running

Plans are to strip and remove all door cladding, window moldings and handles, lights, moldings so I can get the car ready for paint.
have fun removing all weather striping, chrome moldings, door handles, windows, door panels and other stuff. I been there done that and it wasnt fun at all... Good luck on your makeover man. it'll look brand new once it's done!
Old 03-04-07, 12:46 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

thanks man... I already sprayed the window trim screws with Liquid Wrench to loosen up rust and old age. They seem to be coming out pretty easy. The door claddings are suprisingly easy to remove if you take your time. (I practiced on a spare LS door in my garage)

the door handles on the other hand are a BIATCH to get at. I always hated that stuff.

I look at it this way... it will be cheaper for me at the bodyshop if I do all the grunt work prior to prep myself. it will also faciliate a neater more thorough paint job and less "tapework" to mask off stupid things that can be removed.

Hopefully this all is worth the trouble.... I really want this car to look like the brand Flagship that it is.
Old 03-04-07, 02:23 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

im getting ready to get some body work done and your making me want to do all the prep myself also. good luck
Old 03-04-07, 03:29 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Of all the areas that are hard on cars, I think New York has to be the hardest. Careless drivers, Northeastern weather, and constant idling make for a very hard life for a car. Good work restoring yours.
Old 03-04-07, 04:20 PM
takumi117
Driver

Originally Posted by B.Diddy
thanks man... I already sprayed the window trim screws with Liquid Wrench to loosen up rust and old age. They seem to be coming out pretty easy. The door claddings are suprisingly easy to remove if you take your time. (I practiced on a spare LS door in my garage)

the door handles on the other hand are a BIATCH to get at. I always hated that stuff.

I look at it this way... it will be cheaper for me at the bodyshop if I do all the grunt work prior to prep myself. it will also faciliate a neater more thorough paint job and less "tapework" to mask off stupid things that can be removed.

Hopefully this all is worth the trouble.... I really want this car to look like the brand Flagship that it is.
No problem man! Good thing your spraying them down, half of mine just cracked off from being rusted... And yes it is a good idea to do all the prep work yourself if you have the time and patience to do it... It will save you a whole lot of money. But for me i was on a time schedule with my friends shop and it took me a week and a half to prep the car and one day for him to spray and a day to dry. So good luck bro, post up pics of the final outcome!
Old 03-04-07, 06:27 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

I'll let the bodyshop do the actual "prep work" I will diassemble everything and reassemble everything when the painting is done. I dont have the time available to sand down the whole car.

I gotta order my coilovers and daizen bushings this week.
Old 03-06-07, 05:39 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Just took delivery of my stock LS430 wheels with Bridgestone Turanzas. That should keep me rollin until my wheels come in.
Old 03-06-07, 05:49 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

nice supra in the background.
Old 03-07-07, 12:04 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

HAHA thats project #2, its getting a JDM TT motor, new full JDM bodykit, new wheels and endless brakes. (I got my hands full doing this all at home in my spare time)
Old 03-08-07, 03:58 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

I got the 17" 430 Wheels on the car tonight. It was cold as a ****, but I just manned up and swapped the wheels. I must say Im liking the upgraded stock look. I think I will reconsider buying wheels for a moment.
Old 03-08-07, 04:09 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i think your wheels are my favorite stocks. They look great on first gens.
Old 03-08-07, 08:40 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hehe these pics will look fantastic when your done with the project, those wheels look great on that car. any plans for a kit or will you just go with a lip?

Last edited by Brandicus; 03-09-07 at 04:31 PM.

Quick Reply: LS400 Rebuild