LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Picking up a car

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-07, 10:39 PM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking up a car

I am planning on buying a LS400 from out of state, from a private party. Have anyone you purshase a car out of state, should I put my plate on it and drive it back(change insurance to this car). That's the only logical thing I can think of.
Old 02-16-07, 10:48 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Unless you have the plate registered to the car as well, putting on a false plate to drive back home is a risk. Although you may have insurance on the car, if you get pulled over and the plate doesnt match the car, then major trouble (could include jail time depending on state, car impound, etc). You have several alternatives, (a) rent a trailer and have the car trailered back, (b) if you know the owner well ask if it is ok to borrow the tag to transport home with promise of returning back or have owner deliver the car to you. (c) look into having the car transported to your state by a carrier or have the owner make arrangements with you as well (not sure what the cost will be depending on method used to transport and how far). (D) See if ownere is willing to transport to you for an additional cost. The LAST thing you want to do is be caught with a tag not registered to the car with you behind the wheel.
Old 02-17-07, 07:16 AM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

You can only get a temp tag from the dealer. Thanks so far guys keep them coming.
Old 02-17-07, 07:54 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should NOT change the plates on the car, for exactly the reasons listed above. You can drive the car with the plates on it until you get it back to your state to get registered.

When you buy the car, make sure you complete the title paperwork and get a BILL OF SALE, with the vehicle's vin information and the owners info (driver's license too is good), with your signature, showing date of purchase/transfer, and everything pertinent to your transaction.

That should be good for law enforcement and your insurance company for coverage. Most good insurance companies have a 28 day policy for newly purchased cars for their insured. That means you have 28 days to register the car in your name and then get coverage.

Of course, you should be looking here for answers: http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/ (Department of Revenue? LOL, at least they admit it in Georgia)
Old 02-17-07, 10:04 AM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

Ok if I get the car from out of state, I would get the owner to sign the title w/date,leave his plate on the car for me to drive back and send it back as soon as I get home. Do I have to insure the car, or am I using his insurance for the time being(could be risky for some people)?
Old 02-17-07, 11:32 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2turbo4u
Ok if I get the car from out of state, I would get the owner to sign the title w/date,leave his plate on the car for me to drive back and send it back as soon as I get home. Do I have to insure the car, or am I using his insurance for the time being(could be risky for some people)?
I would check with your insurance agent if that 28 day thing exists on in your state/policy (it exists here in California). Typically, a car is not insured until inspected by an authorized agent/representative, to evalutate existing damage on the car and even determine insurability (big if the car is previous salvage title). In California, we also have a Notice of Release of Liability which a car seller would complete and send in to the DMV. This comes attached but preforated on the car's title paperwork. So the seller would take this and mail it in within 10 days of the sale to "notify" DMV that the car is sold and the owner is not liable for any damages, accidents, or incidents involving the car.

For example, you buy a car used and then take it to go rob a bank...

I would carfax.com the car also before buying. I waded through what was seemingly "GREAT" deals on all types of LS400s, and quite happy with the one I finally purchased that didn't have questionable vehicle history.
Old 02-17-07, 10:12 PM
CrazyHawaiian
Driver School Candidate

Maybe its different where you guys are but here in Hawaii the Insurance and the Registration/Plates are two seperate things. As soon as I was handed the keys to my LS400 I called my Insurance Co and put "No Fault" Insurance on the car before driving home. The status/name of the registration did not matter to the Insurance Co, all they wanted was the VIN. This type of insurance is not "Full coverage" just the minimum ammount of Insurance needed to be legal (Insurance is required by law in most states). You won't have paperwork on hand unless you're close to a fax machine, but the coverage will be in the books incase something happened. Then when you get home you can make an appointment to have the car inspected if you intend to upgrade to "Full Coverage" insurance.
Old 02-17-07, 11:43 PM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

I got a carfax on both cars I am looking at, and both checks out fine. Hawaiian thats was what I was thinking on doing, call the insurance copy and get them fax me temp. insurance papers.