LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Broken down Lexus Blues

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-07, 07:06 AM
howlngwolf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken down Lexus Blues

Question: I own a 91 LS400 Went out for a drive the other night and the car just shut down witth no warning in the middle of the road. Started right back up, I drove it back home with no problem until I was in front of my home and it just shut down again, Let it sit over night and it started up with no problem went for a ride with no problems came home and parked it for a few hours and went to go somewhere and it wouldn't start. Cranks over good and strong and even acts like it wants to fire off but shuts right back down. I need to get it at least running to get it to the shop. Anyone out there have any thoughts on just what the problem might be. howlingwolf147@carolina.rr.com
Old 02-04-07, 11:21 AM
utexas112
Rookie

I'll preface this comment by this disclaimer: I am no expert.

But it sounds like the car is not getting a consistent supply of fuel. Because of this, I would start by having the throttle body cleaned. It could also be your Idle Controller Valve.

Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Best of luck.
Old 02-08-07, 04:20 PM
howlngwolf
Driver School Candidate

Default New things old results.

Originally Posted by howlngwolf
Question: I own a 91 LS400 Went out for a drive the other night and the car just shut down witth no warning in the middle of the road. Started right back up, I drove it back home with no problem until I was in front of my home and it just shut down again, Let it sit over night and it started up with no problem went for a ride with no problems came home and parked it for a few hours and went to go somewhere and it wouldn't start. Cranks over good and strong and even acts like it wants to fire off but shuts right back down. I need to get it at least running to get it to the shop. Anyone out there have any thoughts on just what the problem might be. howlingwolf147@carolina.rr.com
Well replaced the fuel filter and checked the fuel pump last night, fuel pump is pumping with a lot of pressure behind it. Old fuel filter wasn't clogged up. Did notice when trying to start the motor that I hear a clicking sound that seems to come from what I think is 2 sensors that sit in front of the throttle body at least I think that is where the sound is coming from, but it is a new sound anyway. Anyone with any ideas out there sure would like to hear from you. Thanks