LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

The Revival of the LS

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-07, 09:43 AM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Revival of the LS

So after numerous failed attempts to sell this car on craigslist for under $2000, I have decided to keep my 1991 LS400 and ressurrect it from 5yrs of abuse from an unforgiving father-in-law who feels their friends who fixed cars 30yrs ago has what it takes to piece together.

My plans....

Fix all the bodywork and abuse.
New Monotone Paintjob Toyota Black #202
18x8 18x9 Wheels and tires.
Wald Coilovers.
Wald Executive Bodykit (subtle one)
JDM 1pc headlights
JDM Celsior Grill (to replace mangled stock grill)
New Dash and Audio setup.
1JZ-GTE w/Auto Tranny swap. (yes I know)

Im just tired of seeing this car falling to pieces when I know it has potential.
Old 01-22-07, 10:06 AM
olddog
Pole Position

that's the way to go. how many on the speedo?
Old 01-22-07, 12:22 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

141K - it drives really nice... kinda miss the smooth ride you get in it coming out of my Supra and coilovered IS300.... its like heaven
Old 01-22-07, 02:08 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like you've got some great plans to make the LS look hot and drive pretty fast. My only suggestion: with the Wald kit, 18" wheels may not be enough. From what I understand, the kit sits quite low, and to get the look you really want, you will need 19" wheels.

What do you plan to do with the dash?

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you estimate the 1JZ swap will set you back? My LS is at about 193K.. sooner or later, I may have to do an engine rebuild, and that may be a better way to go.
Old 01-22-07, 02:18 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Originally Posted by Suneet
Looks like you've got some great plans to make the LS look hot and drive pretty fast. My only suggestion: with the Wald kit, 18" wheels may not be enough. From what I understand, the kit sits quite low, and to get the look you really want, you will need 19" wheels.

What do you plan to do with the dash?

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you estimate the 1JZ swap will set you back? My LS is at about 193K.. sooner or later, I may have to do an engine rebuild, and that may be a better way to go.

I want the subtle WALD Executive Line kit not the more Aggressive Sports Kit. I am talking to Stef from D2 right now to see what wheels I can get to compliment the VIP-sort-of look Im going for.

My dash has a tear on the passenger side. I was thinkin of picking up a dash from a salvaged LS400 that is untorn. or get an SC or gen1 GS dash from aliga and do some fiberglass and upholstering work on the unit. I am trying to get away from that hidious HVAC unit. IF I can somehow get maybe an IS300 HVAC control and mold and repin the harness, I would love to. (but all this is speculation at this point)

1JZ swap will run me about $1000 delivered and I'll sort the wiring mess and install myself (as usual) I want a nice twin turbo setup and something that is easier to work on than that cramped 1UZ.

Right now all i want to do is get the Daizen Control arm Bushing kit and sway bar bushing kit. and possibly source a coilover kit.

Thats Step #1
Old 01-22-07, 03:45 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

id avoid the 1jz motor, 2.5 liter turbo just cant put out enough torque stock to make it worth doing.

your prolly better off either building the 1uz (very very very expensive) or doing a 2jz swap ( www.retrodrive.net has one thats 900hp+)
Old 01-22-07, 04:06 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha, I just noticed, is that Aishwariya in your sig? Are you Desi as well? Where are you from?

Take a look at the Work Euroline series that D2 offers. I'm saving up for a set of the Euroline SLs..
Old 01-22-07, 06:47 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
id avoid the 1jz motor, 2.5 liter turbo just cant put out enough torque stock to make it worth doing.

your prolly better off either building the 1uz (very very very expensive) or doing a 2jz swap ( www.retrodrive.net has one thats 900hp+)
I have to compare the torque numbers and see whats available. the 1JZ tweaked is close to the 2JZ in output. I only opted for the 1J due to pricing. It may end up being a high revving JZ (like Honda lol) I dont plan on doing super power like RetroDrive. I also want daily reliability as well. In my twisted mind I assumed it would perform like a JDM Chaser with a 1JZ.

I am surely not building this car to race.... its just a hobby and I think the JZ blocks look cool in the engine bay (I know Im foolish) I am hoping this will end up being a cool Sunday cruising car. engine will be the last thing to be addressed as this motor has lots of life in it.
Old 01-22-07, 09:23 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

a 2jz swap+mods vs. a 2jz JDM aristo motor w/auto trans is not that much different in price.
Old 01-23-07, 06:26 AM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

When the swap is done, its going to be a GTE (Whether 1JZ or 2JZ) I dont want that USDM GE Wrap over Intake Manifold and TB. (I have had it with that and performing basic maintenance)

I'll dig a little deeper into the Swap Archives. Right now i need to clean up the body and suspension and hopefully send out the car for a respray.
Old 01-23-07, 06:29 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Sounds like you have some big plans for the car. When it's all said and done I'm sure it'll be awesome
Old 01-23-07, 08:24 AM
HKSC430
Rookie

Default suspension control arms

how about lower control arms and ball joint replacements (+/- upper control arms) for safer driving?

your car will be much safer in handling and braking afterwards, if properly wheel aligned...

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/
Old 01-23-07, 10:42 AM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Yeah Im ordering the Daizen complete revamp kit soon! Thanks
Old 01-23-07, 03:26 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

i said JDM ARISTO 2jz, lol, its got a different intake.
Old 01-25-07, 07:46 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

sounds like a lot of $$$ .. good luck! this is the best car to turn into VIP if you got the money

Quick Reply: The Revival of the LS