LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

2 gen Headlight Retro

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-06, 11:58 AM
sonbum1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandicus
will someone with some ps skills show this off? if i like it ill totally rock it..

it may cost 1000 to get the glass sanded down by that company right, but im thinking if you just got a company to custom mold some plastic it would be MUCH cheaper and youll achieve the same look... any thoughts?
I think this is a great idea, If you can find a place that does it, you should then get a sizable group to contact them if there are many people interested it will reduce the cost, heck if you can find a place that will make the lense you might as well ask around about the housing, since we would all need projectors anyway.

Last edited by sonbum1; 09-26-06 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-26-06, 03:24 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

really? in that case id STILL have the plastic lenses (cheaper to replace and more than likely HillTop doesnt grind them "optically" clear (swirls and blemishes are testiment))

do you REALLY think that you could find a place to build u a set of custom headlights for <$800 a set? thats how much these seem to be once u factor in the custom work (assuming u DIY)
Old 09-26-06, 04:03 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=sonbum1;2146466]
Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Hilltop DOES grind the glass, that is actually one of the complaints from the few people who own the hilltop cleared lenses is that they have minimal scratches and swirlling left from the grinding process.
thats where my heads at i can understand why that would be so expensive, and the trade off is that you get to keep the glass headlights, plastic might not be as durable but it should have just as good if not a clearer optic. of course the headlights would have to be diy (projectors would be sweet)

we should convince lexkost to tinker with some donor one gen headlights (ill send mine right now if you pm me your address) and ill start looking for a shop to do the mold.. i suggest everyone else whos interested do the same
Old 09-26-06, 05:32 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

persian451 (He has a 1st gen LS ) will be coming to my house sometime soon and I will remove his pas. headlight and try my broken jetta headlamp and let you know the out come.Forget about the stock headlight it will need much more work than a clear lense.
Old 09-26-06, 05:39 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=Brandicus;2146988]
Originally Posted by sonbum1

thats where my heads at i can understand why that would be so expensive, and the trade off is that you get to keep the glass headlights, plastic might not be as durable but it should have just as good if not a clearer optic. of course the headlights would have to be diy (projectors would be sweet)

we should convince lexkost to tinker with some donor one gen headlights (ill send mine right now if you pm me your address) and ill start looking for a shop to do the mold.. i suggest everyone else whos interested do the same
No need to send me you light, I need to see the area behind the headlight to determine the space to work with.
Old 09-26-06, 07:36 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Lexkost;2147153]
Originally Posted by Brandicus

No need to send me you light, I need to see the area behind the headlight to determine the space to work with.

I'll tell you there isn't much. But you could still manage to fit projectors inthere that might stick out the back of the housing and do something creative to make it waterproof.
Old 09-26-06, 11:03 PM
sonbum1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a thought guys, I have access to an industrial sandblaster, perhaps most of the ridges in the glass lense ould be removed that way. Then it would be a matter of sanding and buffing.
Old 09-26-06, 11:11 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by sonbum1
Just a thought guys, I have access to an industrial sandblaster, perhaps most of the ridges in the glass lense ould be removed that way. Then it would be a matter of sanding and buffing.
sanding with what? its glass, so ur gunna need some pretty hard abrasive to get it clear again. in optics (lenses for glasses and projector setups and etc....) they use grinding STONES to progressively cut the lense smooth.

ive been doin my research on this for a while now and its not getting the ridges out thats the problem but getting the glass to be both clear and optically correct afterwards.
Old 09-26-06, 11:17 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Ive got an old set of headlights sonbum if you want to try sanding them..

I say its worth a shot!
Old 09-26-06, 11:58 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

yeah, if u can find a way to make the glass lenses perfectly clear then its definitely worth it since we dont have to go buy completely new housings
Old 09-29-06, 10:26 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Pic of cut off line from new headlight and this does not even have the HID yet! ! !
Attached Thumbnails 2 gen Headlight Retro-retro-lite-001.jpg  
Old 09-29-06, 10:55 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

LOoks good! *DROOL*. Please get this to fit on our first gens!
Old 09-29-06, 11:03 AM
NewLSlover
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hell yea! Looks real nice man....can't wait to see with HIDs...

I have 6000k in mine so I desperately need a nice retro setup!!

HELP US OUT LEXKOST!
Old 09-29-06, 02:16 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Doooo IIIIttttttt
Old 10-04-06, 11:39 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Suneet
LOoks good! *DROOL*. Please get this to fit on our first gens!
This saturday I will see if this conversion will fit the 1st gen LS's and will post some pics.

Quick Reply: 2 gen Headlight Retro