LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

broken seat belt fixed by me

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-06, 01:46 PM
VicFerrari
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken seat belt fixed by me

well the drivers side seat belt just the other day when i was driving just gave out, would not go back in. so i thought well it broken already what harm can i do. so i took the seat belt mechanisim out to have a look and saw that it was just like my gas RC car with the pull start. so i took off the cover and feed coil back into the hole. and there you have good as new. so if anyone has fixed the recoil on there pull start motors them this should be a snap. and save lots of money.
Old 09-19-06, 02:08 PM
NewLSlover
Pole Position

Damn! You shoulda took pics man! ALOT of people in the LS forum are experiencing the very same problem, and are most likely set on getting new retractors, including myself. Hmm, I'm going to be taking apart my front side panels to change my courtesy switches, gotta move the retractor anyways...might as well take a look!

Thanks for the info, so all you did was feed the coil back into the hole and it fixed the issue?
Old 09-19-06, 02:36 PM
VicFerrari
Driver

you guys know what, i wish i would have taken pics too, but by the time i put it back together, the second time, forgot to whined the seat belt up before put the recoil box back on the side , it was to late and did not want to take it apart again. but yes the point my recoil broke at was only about 5 in from the middle so i had lots of coil left. now i saw that the coil was wrapped around the middle piece a couple of times but i could not get it to wrap as tight as a machine would but it doesn't seem to pose a problem just pinch it were it comes out and roll it as much as you can. when roll the selt belt all the way up as much as you can. then put the recoil box back on the seat belt and pull down, this will get rid of any slack. then just bolt the 2 bolts in, and snap the molding back in. that's about it.

hope this works for you guys.
Old 09-19-06, 05:31 PM
NewLSlover
Pole Position

Man...I took my passenger side apart to fix my courtesy switch...and there seems to be some sort of cable,doesn't look electrical, to the plastic housing for the area where the coil is. Hmm, I didn't wanna break anything...what'd you do at this point?

So, the part the seat belt goes into that's attached to floor, I gotta take that out and fix the coil, correct?

If you could give a step by step process I would greatly appreciate it...I'm still kinda new to the fixer upper world of LS's
Old 09-19-06, 09:11 PM
VicFerrari
Driver

that cable you see i just took a flat head scew driver and stuck it in the bottom of the hole and pulled, its a little to get out. it is connected to a rod like device in the coil box thing
Old 09-19-06, 11:14 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NewLSlover
Man...I took my passenger side apart to fix my courtesy switch...and there seems to be some sort of cable,doesn't look electrical, to the plastic housing for the area where the coil is. Hmm, I didn't wanna break anything...what'd you do at this point?

So, the part the seat belt goes into that's attached to floor, I gotta take that out and fix the coil, correct?

If you could give a step by step process I would greatly appreciate it...I'm still kinda new to the fixer upper world of LS's
courtesy switch , what's that?
What year do you have? Later models have SRS built into the seatbelts for pretensioners using squibs.
Old 09-20-06, 02:39 AM
NewLSlover
Pole Position

Courtesy switches are the buttons on your door that tell your interior lights/alarm whether the door is open or not..mine were faulty and my car would think the door was open randomly, or it wouldn't turn the interiror lights on when I opened the door. Lexls has a tutorial for them, so I knocked out the passenger side last night.

I have a 93, and yes there is a blue ink filled plastic tube, if this is what you call a squib pretensioner?
Old 09-26-06, 08:09 AM
sunny068
Driver

will this same process work for a rear seatbelt? mine won't retract
Old 09-26-06, 09:32 AM
VicFerrari
Driver

it should work i have not taken out the back one. the only thing that might look different on the back than from the front ones are that the back ones have that extra locking mode when you pull it out all the way for baby car seats, but most likely it's the recoil that broke