LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Just can't seem to get that ride back...

Old 10-13-06, 06:17 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Brian,
1) based on input from another member, I moved to the L-Sportline Springs along with OEM shocks as you suggest. Love the look still, hate the ride still. I'd characterize it as slightly better.
Last year, when trying to figure out why the car was riding so rough, I had a shop switch the springs to H&R. While installing the springs, he noticed the bump stops up front had never been cut, and said it probably had a lot to do with the ride (the suspension seemed to have little movement). He also raised the shock perch up to the second-highest position.

I'm not sure which of these three changes had the biggest effect, but the car rode dramitically better after these changes. It is still a little rougher than I would like, mainly on sudden bumps. I'm hoping the new tires will help. As well, I lifted the back shock perch up to highest position, and my mechanic is doing the fronts today, along with installing the new tires. Lets hope it's gets even better.

Brian
Old 10-13-06, 09:56 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian S
Last year, when trying to figure out why the car was riding so rough, I had a shop switch the springs to H&R. While installing the springs, he noticed the bump stops up front had never been cut, and said it probably had a lot to do with the ride (the suspension seemed to have little movement). He also raised the shock perch up to the second-highest position.

I'm not sure which of these three changes had the biggest effect, but the car rode dramitically better after these changes. It is still a little rougher than I would like, mainly on sudden bumps. I'm hoping the new tires will help. As well, I lifted the back shock perch up to highest position, and my mechanic is doing the fronts today, along with installing the new tires. Lets hope it's gets even better.

Brian
did u have ur bumpstops cut ini half or what? im asking since i just bought an LSportline setup so any install info i can get would be appreciated
Old 10-13-06, 10:55 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Yes, the second installer cut the bump stops in the front to allow for more movement. I thought he did all four, but when I had the rear shock out yesterday, the bump stop is put together in kind of a contraption and can't really be cut. My gut says the back is not so vital since there appears to be more suspension play in the rear.

Brian
Old 10-13-06, 11:04 AM
pito
Lead Lap

I know usually with a drop the front bumpstops are to be cut or modified. I dont really hear about rear bumpstops being modified too much though.
Old 10-16-06, 03:16 AM
Dj Matt
Driver School Candidate

Rule Of Thumb Stay Stock And Enjoy The Ride !!!lexus Built A Masterpiece Dont Destroy It With Silly Mods!!!!
Old 10-16-06, 07:48 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Dj Matt
Rule Of Thumb Stay Stock And Enjoy The Ride !!!lexus Built A Masterpiece Dont Destroy It With Silly Mods!!!!
hahahah, thats funny.

tell guys like SKperformance, Lextreme, VIP_EXE, Retrodrive, or anyone of the more hardcore modders and theyl laugh their heads off too

and besides, since when is a full coilover or even an adjustable spring\shock suspension system "silly"?
Old 10-16-06, 11:10 AM
pito
Lead Lap

Truer words have never been spoken.
Old 10-27-06, 12:10 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Well, I have the ContiExtremeContact's installed. Pretty quiet for an aggressive tire. They are much cushier than my Dunlop Direzzas were. I was very happy with them ...until I hit 80MPH. I seem to have a medium vibration that comes and goes.

I had the car in the shop yesterday and they rebalanced them, as well as aligned the car (which needed to be done anyway). They said the tires were in balance, but he noticed a two of the tires appear out of round. As well, he noticed one of my rims is slightly bent (0.06" according to the notes).

I expect the majority of this issue is due to the tires being out of round. I read some reviews of the ContiExtremeContacts where they had trouble getting true tires. I was just hoping it wouldn't be the case with me. A shame, because I otherwise liked these tires.

There aren't many other options out there (beside summer performance tires, which I don't want due to wear and ride quality). I don't want to drop $273 each for the Michelin Pilot Sports. So I think I will move to the Grand Touring ContiProContacts that DaveGS4 has installed. The main downside with these is their lower H speed rating. But seriously, I've not yet hit 130MPH in this car and probably won't anytime soon. Plus, I expect they will ride better.

I am a little concerned about the rim. Do you think it might be a cause of the vibration issues (my Dunlops always vibrated horribly, in additon to be being the noisiest tires on earth)? They said it was very slight, but they could see it when it was on the balance machine. If 0.06" is accurate, that seems like a pretty small number to me. Any advice is appreciated, as always.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 10-27-06, 03:02 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

I have ordered a set of new ContiProContact, and the ContiExtremeContact will be on their way back as soon as these new tires are installed.

I have to give a thumbs-up to TireRack's excellent return policy. Because Continental tires have a 30 day test drive, I was able to return the ExtremeContacts for a full refund, at shipping cost to me. But TireRack will reimburse mounting and balancing charges, up to $20 a tire. I was expecting to eat this cost if trying a new set of tires, but this is a nice gesture. Great customer service.

Brian
Old 10-27-06, 05:58 PM
blange400
Driver

Look Im old and grey..and not just from the "relentless pursuit of perfection"...I have been through it all cars, parts, tires,...
and I'm serious when I say...Lexus stock IS KYB.. go do it.

Bridgestone Tournenza LS series tires are the best, quiet smooth yada yada yoda.
You want the best? You have the car. There's the rest.
now I gotta go nap....zzzz
Old 10-28-06, 08:11 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

From what I've read here on the forum, the tuning of KYB aftermarket is a bit different from the OEM shocks.

The Turanza LS aren't available in 245/45 18. There is the Turanza EL42. But ranks 24 on TireRack's rating, has a measley 260 treadwear, got poor reviews, and are $243 a piece.

Here's what one ES330 owner said:
These are the Worst Tires I had ever used, I am so mad at my Lexus dealer & Toyota for using these tires as OEM tires, after I bought the Lexus I noticed a back window decal stating the low treadwear for these Turanza, I didnt think much about it............then @ 6k tire rotation I noticed almost half of treads were gone....on all 4 tires.... I am now at 13K and I could see the tread block indicator, I have no more tread on these....... Not to mention the Horrible traction on Rain, Snow or Ice... STAY Away From these tires.........Unless you like purchasing new tires every 13,000 miles......Dont even go there........
I have to say, after moving the Bilsteins up to the highest position and getting away from summer UHP tires, I am pretty satisfied with the ride. After riding around in SUVs, a LeSabre, and my GF's Corrola, I have pretty good sense of how my LS rides. It is a little firmer than stock I think (hard to say for sure since my shocks were worn when I bought the car and it has been a year and half since I was riding on them), but not jarring except on the most severe bumps (potholes, uneven pavement, etc.), which seem to be harsh in any vehicle. Hopefully with the ContiProContacts it will be even cushier.

Brian

Last edited by Brian S; 10-28-06 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-30-06, 10:06 PM
bouellet
Rookie

Default Strut Rods

I have a 96 Ls 100k and was feeling bumps. Got new strut rods and ball joints. Wonderful ride now. 1000 bucks at dealer. Not struts but strut rods which have bushings built in. Cannot just replace bushings . Need whole strut rod $129@ may be different for 1st generation.
Old 10-30-06, 10:43 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by bouellet
I have a 96 Ls 100k and was feeling bumps. Got new strut rods and ball joints. Wonderful ride now. 1000 bucks at dealer. Not struts but strut rods which have bushings built in. Cannot just replace bushings . Need whole strut rod $129@ may be different for 1st generation.
umm, you can buy Polyurethane Strut Rod Bushings from Carson Toyota for ~$60/side.

id know, i needa replace mine soon
Old 10-30-06, 11:50 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Bottom line is if you don't want to lose the factory ride, don't mess with the suspension, OEM all the way.

I grow tired of the road noise from the BFG KDW-2, the handling aspect is top rate for a boat though. The 18's and the added 7 pounds translated to more road feel and reduced suspension reaction...heavy wheel, more mass that has to be deflected over bumps and that comes through the stiffer Eibach springs and firmer dampening of the Bilsteins. You start changing things, you will forever be altering the rest to compensate. All part of the mod game though.

I'm not sorry to have made the changes because the car is more enjoyable to drive. I realized going in what my ultimate goal was, however the temptation had me economizing by buying the Eibach/Bilstein. The biggest after-thought was letting the Tein CS's go when they were in my hands (literally). But there is a time for everything.

Mine at 108K has had the lower ball joints, tie rod ends and strut bars changed. Only things to do are the upper ball joints and control arm bushings.
Car still holds the alignment spec so as far as that goes, any worn parts aren't significant in showing poor tread wear characteristics. YMMV
Old 05-24-07, 06:52 AM
cartechpr
Driver

Originally Posted by bouellet
You can buy the original strut rod bushing for 40.