LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Changes, changes, changes....

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-06, 01:53 PM
NewLSlover
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changes, changes, changes....

DAMN my little lady is about to go through some MAJOR changes over the next few weeks. I just ordered the following for my 93:

VALVE ADJUSTMENT (RID THAT ANNOYING TICK!!)
4 KYB GR-2 STRUTS
TANABE DF210 LOWERING SPRINGS
NEW MOTOR MOUNTS
NEW TRANSMISSION MOUNT
2 NEW FRONT COURTESY SWITCHES
DAIZEN CONTROL ARM BUSHING KIT
4 R1CONCEPTS ROTORS
4 SETS OF AXXIS DELUXE PADS
OTTO STRUT BAR
15 DING DENT REMOVAL
2 NEW LOWER BALL JOINTS
2 SETS OF REAR AXLE CARRIER & LATERAL ARM BUSHINGS
2 SETS REAR UCA BUSHINGS
2 TRAILING ARM BUSHINGS
2 CABIN FILTERS
FULL COOLANT FLUSH
NEW PCV VALVE & GROMMET
JIM WALKER'S HANDY CLIMATE CONTROL LCD REPAIR + NEW LCD LED'S
JIM WALKER'S INSTRUMENT PANEL FIX

She's at LEX of Jacksonville right now getting the valve adjustment, and I was harrassing them about the ****ty seat belt retractors, looks like they may be replacing or fixing those too!! They gave me a 2006 RX400h as a loaner for the weekend, ha ha....this thing is cleannnn, I didn't even know the car was running at first!

I took GRAND LS's idea about gathering up a LOT of upgrades and just dedicating a whole weekend to replacing them...this ought to be interesting, I'll keep you guys updated on how it goes.

PureDrifter, keep your AIM logged on so I can hit you up with any questions man!

ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR MY COURSE OF ACTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!! (ie Any other things I should fix at the same time as this stuff...strut mounts? I'm debating those...should I? ANYTHING ELSE?)
Old 09-14-06, 01:56 PM
NewLSlover
Pole Position

I didn't mean to post this here also, but any help from the rest of CL would be appreciated as well....

MODs, I apologize!
Old 09-14-06, 04:04 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a problem. Please me where do you want it to be and we'll move your thread.
Old 09-15-06, 08:11 AM
NewLSlover
Pole Position

Thanks VVT, it'd be cool to get some feedback from the big time maintenance heads on CL as well as my LS family members. If you don't mind...
Old 09-15-06, 09:21 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

take some before and after photos!!
Old 09-16-06, 08:02 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

That is a nice list, I was nodding as I was reading them.
Old 09-16-06, 09:35 AM
NewLSlover
Pole Position

Thanks Lexmex...I've added a few more things to the list...tie rods, possibly 2nd gen LS calipers....Looking into it, might as well do it all together.
Old 09-17-06, 06:51 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NewLSlover
Thanks Lexmex...I've added a few more things to the list...tie rods, possibly 2nd gen LS calipers....Looking into it, might as well do it all together.
2LS's calipers will need a whole new set up with new rotors and new wheels that will clear the bigger calipers.
Old 09-17-06, 07:45 PM
NewLSlover
Pole Position

Screw that then...I'm happy with the brake setup I have, I don't plan on hitting the raceways any time soon..or EVER..lol
Old 09-18-06, 01:44 PM
AlexTruong
Driver School Candidate

how much cost the transmission mount and motor mounts? i might want to change them next spring because everytime i release/press the gas pedal it gives a hit and its getting pretty annoying.

also, my check light,abs and trac off lights are on since 1 week... i dont know why, everything seems fine.
Old 09-18-06, 01:50 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey man, congrats on all the changes coming up! Why are you replacing the motor mounts and trans mounts? What symptoms do these cause when they are warn?

Be sure to post pics.
Old 09-18-06, 01:54 PM
NewLSlover
Pole Position

The tranny mount was like 50$, and the motor mounts were 80$ each...all in all like 230 shipped 2nd day air...not bad

The problem you speak of with your CEL, abs off & traf off lights sounds like the infamous speed sensor issue...Have you have tire rotation or brake word recently, or at least since this issue has come about?

There's a speed sensor in the wheel well next to the brakes that can sometimes fall off our get disconnected....it would cause these symptoms. I believe it's the only wire harness near the brakes..

Here's a pic off lexls.com

http://www.lexls.com/images/SA/flowe...lowerarm02.jpg

That dangling thing over the stabilizer link in that pic is your speed sensor, it's obviously disconnected in that pic...but that is most likely your problem. Check it out, lemme know.
Old 09-18-06, 01:56 PM
NewLSlover
Pole Position

The symptoms are excessive movement from the engine..or as Alex said, the whole tranny gives a hit issue..

If you keep your car in park and rev the RPM's up high you'll feel the motor moving excessively if your motor mounts are going.

They say they're most likely to go after the 100k mark. I'm at 180k and by the looks of the previous owners service habits, I'm sure I still have the originals...plus, I checked them out and they look pretty bad.
Old 09-19-06, 10:40 AM
AlexTruong
Driver School Candidate

on which wheel is the speed sensor ? could it be the oxygen sensor too or a abs sensor(i dont know how many abs sensor our ls400 has) ? and where you bought all your stuff ?

for next year, i will need a rear link kit(mine is missing), maybe new ball joint, motor mount, trans mounts, flush all fluids, oil change( might go with syntec, still not sure), and i dont know about those bushing, i don think they gonna need to be changed. and for sure new wheels and tires and of course Kyb struts with spring(cuz my ls is not very comfy and stable).

my body kit is coming very soon, i will wait till next spring to get it install as well as a new paint job.
Old 09-19-06, 10:54 AM
AlexTruong
Driver School Candidate

i might consider to change something else too because i only get around 16-17mpg with AC off.(im not sure about the mpg because here in Canada its KM not mile and Liters instead of gallon hehe). anyway, my AC doesnt works so it could not be the problem. i just changed my spark plug(ngk iridium), OEM spark plug wires, cap, rotor, toyota oil 5w30, pcv valve. Do you guys drive with OD/off or on ? any help will be appreciated

Quick Reply: Changes, changes, changes....