LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Service manuals...By popular demand...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-16, 11:29 AM
anesthesia
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Still works great, are you guys getting diagram picture? Seems like no picture diagram
Old 02-21-16, 02:45 PM
sndlight
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by anesthesia
Still works great, are you guys getting diagram picture? Seems like no picture diagram
No pictures work for me either. I have to work blind when I use it
Old 02-21-16, 08:24 PM
addisonblc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for out this back up to the top. Tech tech works. This is great dudes
Old 06-27-16, 08:29 PM
GasBuggy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
reading through the posts might help, as you've discovered

hmm. tech tech did not work for me. I guess the link went bad just recently. Does it work for anyone else? Too bad, I was really looking for a free legitimate way to see the ECU diagram.
Old 06-30-16, 05:28 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Just tried it too and it's not working for me anymore.
Old 06-30-16, 08:06 AM
91LS400vgb
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

didn't work for me either
Old 06-30-16, 12:48 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I saw a post someplace that was locked by the admin of this board about copy right materials and it was locked.
Here is an interesting deal, but first I have to ask a question, can you still purchase a manual from Lexus?
If the answer is no, then this should apply. I'm not giving the name but there is an outfit that manufactures a test device and is well known in the industry. If you go to them asking for manuals for a certain vintage of device, they state, since those manuals are no longer printed and offered for sale, we allow others to copy and freely distribute them, but they are not allowed to sell them, except for cost of materials like paper etc., this is my own wording not theirs and is why I'm not giving out the name of the device.
So I really don't see why Lexus does not do the same for the manuals for the older generation of cars.
Even the big guys like General Motors allows reprinting of shop manuals for older out of print manuals.
So whats up?
Old 06-30-16, 03:25 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
I saw a post someplace that was locked by the admin of this board about copy right materials and it was locked.
Here is an interesting deal, but first I have to ask a question, can you still purchase a manual from Lexus?
If the answer is no, then this should apply. I'm not giving the name but there is an outfit that manufactures a test device and is well known in the industry. If you go to them asking for manuals for a certain vintage of device, they state, since those manuals are no longer printed and offered for sale, we allow others to copy and freely distribute them, but they are not allowed to sell them, except for cost of materials like paper etc., this is my own wording not theirs and is why I'm not giving out the name of the device.
So I really don't see why Lexus does not do the same for the manuals for the older generation of cars.
Even the big guys like General Motors allows reprinting of shop manuals for older out of print manuals.
So whats up?
Being in print and being under copyright protection are separate things. Copyright term in the US for pseudonymous authored works is 95 years from first publication. Lexus/Toyota can choose to relinquish or allow duplication, but they haven't done that. Whether or not they allow you to purchase a manual (which afaik, you can for most vehicles) is moot.
Old 06-30-16, 03:26 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Guys these links have been dead for YEARS. If you want access to the ARRC then go find out if your local library has access to the EBSCO databases.
Old 06-30-16, 05:56 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

The material I was talking about is copyrighted. Maybe the whole Lexus club community should petition Lexus to let us print or copy the manuals for cars that are older than 20 years old maybe even less than that.
Its to their advantage, having older cars around proves the durability and can be another outlet for parts sales. Its a win win for them. Don't they allow you to copy the materials off the Toyota site??????????????????
Old 06-30-16, 07:19 PM
bornking
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The material I was talking about is copyrighted. Maybe the whole Lexus club community should petition Lexus to let us print or copy the manuals for cars that are older than 20 years old maybe even less than that.
Its to their advantage, having older cars around proves the durability and can be another outlet for parts sales. Its a win win for them. Don't they allow you to copy the materials off the Toyota site??????????????????
Completely Agree
Old 07-01-16, 01:31 AM
GasBuggy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by anesthesia
Originally Posted by addisonblc
Thanks for out this back up to the top. Tech tech works. This is great dudes
Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Guys these links have been dead for YEARS. If you want access to the ARRC then go find out if your local library has access to the EBSCO databases.

Seems like it was working in February for a few posters.
Old 07-01-16, 01:46 AM
GasBuggy
Driver School Candidate

That was my thread. What you read was the Title and content after it was written over by a moderator. I want to clarify this for you or anyone else who was confused by it and wondering what was up with my thread. I posted asking for schematics/wiring diagrams for my 94. Asking for that is against forum rules as I found out afterwards.
Old 07-01-16, 03:30 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

My personal view on copyrighted factory service manuals is this.
First off any study of the copyright deal, tells you that you can copy some part of stuff for own use and or to prove a point you just can't copy and sell it.

Secondly since there is supposed to be a "right to repair law" that allows non dealer repair shops and normal everyday owners the right to repair their own cars. The factory shop manuals copy right should not be a hindrance in obtaining the proper service information to do so. Yes the factory can charge for shop manuals, but if that manual is no longer for sale and out of print, then copies should be allowed. Not everyone is computer savy and has an internet connection, as I do know a few folks that don't do internet at all.
So people like that should be able to have someone copy the service materials with out worrying about a copy right. Just like the outfit I mentioned above allows to happen with out of print and out of availability manuals.
Its just plain messed up not to allow copies of service information for cars that are almost in the antique age range. It makes Lexus look bad if they are restricting the information with copyright, there is just not a super huge demand for the information so no huge loss of revenue from it. It really does not make sense.
If I knew who to talk to I would give it a go, but I can't speak Japanese.

So can some one answer this???? Does the Toyota tech site allow you to down load ie. copy the material from the site? I want to know how come that is okay if it is allowed?

Last edited by dicer; 07-01-16 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-02-16, 11:10 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Can understand your frustration in obtaining information. The short of this is that unless one here is an Intellectual Property lawyer the depth and interpretation of what is included in Copyright is volumes thick in legal ease. The legality of permissible use online or by reproduction in whole or part is outside of discussion of this thread.

As they say, have your people talk to their people and see. Your intellectual property attorney contact Toyota NA legal team and see what is agreeable.

Quick Reply: Service manuals...By popular demand...