LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Buying an LS400 at Auction, Air suspension busted? Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-06, 01:57 PM
karthick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying an LS400 at Auction, Air suspension busted? Any thoughts?

I have been trying to get an LS for quite some time now and I found one that is offered at a local Auction. It is a 93 LS400 with 110k miles. Black with Tan Leather. The car has the following problem ..Any opinion/thoughts would be helpful...

When parked the car looks really wierd, each of the 4 corners of the car are at different heights !! The front left corner of the car looks really low with almost no clearance between the wheel and fender. The rear of the car looks like it is propped up on struts.

Now, this tells me that the air suspension of the car maybe messed up but is it possible that the suspension looks like that because the car has a dead battery and has not been started up for a while.. ?

Does the suspension need electical power to function properly?
What happens to the height of the air suspension when a car is left sitting for a while.. It looks like the car had not been moved for a long time. The battery of the car is completely DEAD. I needed a jumper cable to start the car. and I was able to drive it around the parking lot for a minute or two before I ran out of fuel.

The car just has 110k miles .. It is a 93 ...
Any pearls of wisdom will be helpful.

If the air suspension is busted, I am thinking of bidding about $1000 or so for the car.. The air suspension is not the only suspect thing on the car.. One window motor is out so the window is stuck open. The gear shift handle seems kinda in a bad shap (Broken perhaps?) and the engine seems to make a knocking sound (could be nothing but could be something who knows)..
Old 09-08-06, 02:46 PM
jmblimo
Pole Position

After you drove it a little, how did the ride heigth look at all 4 corners? If it now looks OK then you might be all right for a while. After mine sits a couple of weeks the passenger side front drops down a little. Jumps right back up with a start and is fine for another couple of weeks.
Old 09-08-06, 02:48 PM
karthick
Driver School Candidate

Oh no. Wish I had watched closely . However, like your car, it is the front passenger side shock that seems to be really really low.. wish I had started the car and kept it running for a while ..
Hmm, When do these air shocks go out? 100k? 150k? 200k? This car is 120k and I am thinking of taking a risk by going for the car and dealing with the repairs ...
Old 09-08-06, 03:09 PM
jmblimo
Pole Position

I forgot to mention; did you try the console switch for ride level? I would try that and see if it rises and drops like it should.

Mine has around 110K on it, a '92, and I suspect I will need to deal with it within a couple of years. I believe it is the age of the strut rubber than the amount of miles. The one you're looking at is just a year newer than mine. I think I'd go back and drive the car around a little more and look at it then. I would be a little more suspect of the engine knock. With a timing belt change, a lot of engine noises go away.
Old 09-08-06, 07:52 PM
PVSLS400
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not a big deal I just bought a 98 with air, First thing I did was a coilover conversion. l-tuned.com has many kits to choose from you can replace all 4 struts for what 1 airbag will cost (from the dealer)
Old 09-09-06, 01:26 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

What kind of auction house is this?

There are good ones and those that sell junk. That will be obvious by the cars which tend to be well over 100K miles and those requiring substantial $$ to restore to proper driving condition.

When previewing cars, ask those on the lot if they have bid or buy from this place regularly. If they do, that is a good sign but these may be mechanically inclined people who get them really cheap and have sources for parts to turn them over.

An owner that has let the car deteriorate to this level has likely neglected other areas thinking they are goign to dump it anyway so why spend the $$. Check the tranny fluid, oil and PS fluid. Make sure the PS pump isn't leaking cause this tends to take the alternator with it. (Been there, done that.)

My suggestion...buy from a private party where you may get service records on a higher mile car. Auction cars...brrr.
Old 09-09-06, 06:07 AM
karthick
Driver School Candidate

This definitely looks like a car that somone wanted to dump. The fact that it is covered with dust, has some interior issues as well the suspension issue. The only reason I am even thinking of this is because a similar Lexus LS400 probably runs for 5k in good condition and you will probably have future repair work on them anyway. But I shall proceed carefuly .. Will go check it out again today..
Originally Posted by RA40

There are good ones and those that sell junk. That will be obvious by the cars which tend to be well over 100K miles and those requiring substantial $$ to restore to proper driving condition.

When previewing cars, ask those on the lot if they have bid or buy from this place regularly. If they do, that is a good sign but these may be mechanically inclined people who get them really cheap and have sources for parts to turn them over.

An owner that has let the car deteriorate to this level has likely neglected other areas thinking they are goign to dump it anyway so why spend the $$. Check the tranny fluid, oil and PS fluid. Make sure the PS pump isn't leaking cause this tends to take the alternator with it. (Been there, done that.)

My suggestion...buy from a private party where you may get service records on a higher mile car. Auction cars...brrr.
Old 09-09-06, 08:59 PM
karthick
Driver School Candidate

Well, after thinking about it forever I finally did bid on the 93 LS400 and won it.. After about 10 minutes of buyers remorse I figured that I did pay a fair price for the car. Now to start getting it into shape. First things first, I need to fix the suspension to pass inspection. Only 1 Corner of the car is sagging (Front passenger Side). This seems to indicate that the problem is a bad strut instead of a bad air compressor.
So typically, does one replace just 1 strut or all 4 struts at the same time ? All 4 struts will run 1600 plus installation... hmm I am tempted to go to normal hydraulic struts/coilovers but I think the concept of a variable damping air suspension is cool so I might consider getting 1 strut for around 400 and then worrying about the other struts when the time comes... Thanks for everyone on their inputs..
I promise to put up pictures once I get the car fixed up...

Originally Posted by RA40

Old 09-09-06, 10:26 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Might wanna consider these:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237316
Old 09-10-06, 01:29 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Congrats on winning the auction.
Keep us posted on the progress. Get a snap for us so we can see a before and after.
Old 09-10-06, 11:46 AM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So i hope i am not rude for asking but... how much did you get her for? I would love to see some pics.
Old 09-10-06, 04:14 PM
karthick
Driver School Candidate

Oh thats alright. I paid $2.5k for the car and I am estimating about 1k in repairs over the next 1 week or so to bring her to good shape. Some people might think its a bargain, some people might think I overpaid but I did bid up to that amount only after looking at all the LS400s on Autotrader.
It is a Black 1993 with about 120k miles. It has air suspension,premium stereo and god knows what else.. I havent brought the car home yet. Just put a deposit on it. Picking it up tomorrow. The leather inside is mostly fine except for a couple of 1/4 inch tears along the seams on the front seat.
Old 09-10-06, 04:30 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dude if it runs good and only has 120k 3500 for a clean ls with air suspension is good. I woulda bought it.

Autotrader prices seem very inflated. Even old 1990's wih 200k and in average cond. want 4k.
Old 09-10-06, 10:17 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would never change to coilovers if i had air suspension.
With a good controller you can have perfect comfort of Lexus style and still lower the car and have amazing handling. Coilovers suck compared to air ride by far.
I have JIC's Tein's and B&G coilovers and none compare to air ride
Old 09-11-06, 01:31 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

coilovers suck compared to FACTORY A/S

aftermarket is useless most of the time, its too slow to react to changes in teh road surface.

but yea, if my car was a factory A/S car then id def leave it alone and just get a susp. controller for it.

Quick Reply: Buying an LS400 at Auction, Air suspension busted? Any thoughts?