LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

iPOD install

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-06, 05:01 PM
thepro2cer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPOD install

I decided to install my iPOD myself. After observing how my Porsche Boxster S Becker radio used a tap into the connector to connect the iPOD/RCA connectors. Since the CD changer wasn't working any longer, I decided to use a CD resource which shows EVERYTHING I need to do ANYTHING I can myself. I spliced the connector and just used the input wires to send the iPOD signal into the radio instead of the CD player. The trick IS: The CD changer can't be in working condition or it will just play the CD's and you'll hear nothing.

I used some tape to keep the CD changer door shut, which activates the switch to the radio to complete the cycle. I was gonna glue the switch in, BUT there are some CD's of mine still in the cartridge. The Radio says CD ERR, but who cares...THE IPOD is slamming and it cost me a RCA-1/8 cable from RADIO SHACK that I spliced to the connector. Since I have the PORSCHE for impressing the ladies, there's no need for a BIG SYSTEM. They don't want to hear music loud anyway.

I keep my stock look, cable runs neatly under the trim to the cupholder, which is where I put the IPOD along with my Cellphone. The cable is long enough for the lady to grab on and select music . Good for looking at videos also. Before then I was using the Griffin iTRIP. It was cool and I kept it for other friends or family's cars when I ride along. The job took 30mins.....while at work on my lunchbreak!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I realize I need some rims, but the stock gives me an exec look that sets me apart from the wheel lovers. Sometimes simple is better. I have clear turn signals and that alone set the Lex off.

RaJ
Old 08-09-06, 10:40 AM
97LS400 OR
Driver School Candidate

Default ipod install

can you elaborate on the install? My CD changer is broken also and I would like to do the same thing I had the same idea too.
Old 08-17-06, 12:29 PM
thepro2cer
Driver School Candidate

Yes sir. The other detail is I have a 1993. I'm NOT sure if your radio is compatible with this install...but here it goes.

My connector, which I used a CD on the 1993 LS to figure this out, had a grouping of connectors. One set will be for the CD TX(transmission and communication with the head unit. The other will be a 3 wire Power setup. Then most importantly is the CD inputs or output from the CD that you tap into.

Since hving the CD on the LS made it easy, I could have figured it out with a snip here and there. The power is usually BLK, RED, and grey or white. The inputs are no more than 4 wires...CD input named, CDL+, CDL-, CDR+, and CDR-. The other 4 wires "talk to the CD changer. Select CD function to see if you get an "ERR" message. Since I have some CD"s stuck in the changer, it's keeping it from working properly. I taped the door shut, there's switch at the top that needs to have pressure on it, so it stays in play mode on the headunit.

That's it. I started out RAW DAWG by snipping ALL of the wires.....but you can just snip ONE of the eight, or 2 groups of four and you can figure it out. The CD indication on the head unit will NOT work if you snip the right wire in the group. REMEMBER....Don't snip anything solid. RED, BLK or Wht/Gry. The other wires should be multi colored. Getting the schematic will make it easier though. I then wired in a 1/8in-RCA female RADIO SHACK stereo cable to the appropriate wiring and WALLA>...........IPOD!!! You'll always hear the IPOD or what ever you decide to hookup to the wires. Just cut the source off and listen to your radio or cassette with no problem.

If you're NOT secure with the install, just have a installer do it for you. Don't let them tell you it "CAN'T BE DONE". That was my MOTIVATION to prove them wrong. I was gonna be charged no less than $100. I decided to keep that money in my pocket!!!!

Hope this helps............................Good Luck.

Disclaimer: This install was done by myself with some stereo installation experience. I'm not responsible for any installation done incorrectly or not supervised by myself in person.