LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Simple wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-06, 01:51 PM
MCabrera
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple wheel question

[FONT=Times New Roman]I'm looking forward to getting a1990 or a 92 Lexus LS400....I've been starting up my research on these cars and I have a few questions....

I'm looking forward to buying 20" rims for the car as soon as I get it:
How bad is the wheel gap after throwing on the wheels?
Are there any problems if i were to move up to 21" wheels? Just looking for that extra inch...

And for lowering the car....

I found that lowering cars often make the car change its camber....

How much and what will it take to fix that camber?
And what type of springs do you guys use? I was thinking going with Teins....

Do you guys suggest changing the shocks and struts at the same time as well? I dont know if I'd be able to afford both rims/tires+springs, And then shocks all at once.

How bad is the ride if i dont get the shocks/struts right away and I buy the lowering springs with the wheels?

Thanks for you time...
max
Old 07-14-06, 03:17 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Welcome to the forum

The wheel gap with 20's and stock suspension will make your car look like a 4x4.

If you go with 21's, you'll have problems with rubbing in the inner wheel well lining and possibly the fender itself.

If you're just lowering with springs and shocks the camber will change a bit, but not enough to the point where it would cause significant uneven tire wear as long as you get an alignment.

The majority of the members here use Eibach, H&R, and Tanabe springs. I'm sure Teins are just as good...just watch out for counterfeit Tein springs.

http://www.tein.com/counterfeit/warning.html

It is recommended that you change to aftermarket shocks when installing aftermarket lowering springs. The ride will be ok for the first few weeks to a couple months and will gradually degrade until the stock shocks blow. It's best to do the shocks/springs at the same so you save money on installation.

For more specific answers, the advanced search funtion will be your best tool on this forum.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/search.php