LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1st gen drivers side window intermittent, lets get to the bottom of this.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-06, 04:50 PM
turbosix
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1st gen drivers side window intermittent, lets get to the bottom of this.

The drivers side window on my 92 just started acting up. Randomly if i roll the window all the way up so it "cinches" and is 100% closed / sealed off from rain, it will not roll back down for awhile.

At first I thought "oh noes " but then it started working again.

Of course this did not last and I rolled it up to the limit one day and bingo... it wont come down again.

Soon, by chance, after hitting "auto roll down" and the window being un responsive, i got out of the car pissed off and slammed the door.

bingo, window rolled down by itself.

What I'm guessing is lexus has installed some kind of rate limiting switch that prevents the window motor from damage if, say, your 10 year old kid rolls the window all the way up and just holds the switch down.

So my question is, why is the limiter, assuming there is one, now affecting the window rolling down ?

I dont have the time right now to yank the door panel and probably will wait until i get two pairs of replacement door speakers before I bother, but it would be nice if we could get to the bottom of this because upon searching it seemed this was a semi-common problem, though i didnt see a positive resolution.
Old 08-03-06, 02:34 PM
turbosix
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bump in case anyone else has any insight.
Old 08-04-06, 04:44 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a bump from slamming the door it's possible it might be a loose connection in one of the plugs or maybe a poor contact in same plug , you are going to have to have to strip the trim off the door and have a look , maybe start by plugging and unplugging the connectors and see if that fixes it , probably going to have to be a process of elimination .
Old 08-04-06, 05:27 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

sounds more like the switch is busted, see if u can find one in a local junk yard to test or find someone with a first gen car and just borrow it for a few mins to see if a new switch is all it needs.

alternatively you could pull the switch and using a multimeter check if the switch is allowing the circuits for opening and closing the window to be completed when it is pushed each way.
Old 08-26-06, 02:18 PM
nc356
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile

Had a similar issue, but bumping didn't influence anything.

But here's the good news: it was the door switch, and the switch is easily repairable.

Be careful and slow taking it apart; it was quite a while ago, I think I remember a lot of little pushrod plastic pieces I let accidentally fall out before I had them mapped. But figured it all out fairly easily. If your is like mine, you will find obvious deterioration of the contact copper bits. Just clean them up, and see if it works for you.