How to fix your speedo needle when it does not work - Page 9 - Club Lexus Forums

How to fix your speedo needle when it does not work

Old 07-16-14, 10:55 PM   #121
TaninAuto
Sponsor

I already replied twice today in reference to this issue and solution.
www.TaninAutoElectronix.com

http://www.facebook.com/TaninAutoElectronix
TaninAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-14, 02:58 PM   #122
timmy0tool
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaninAuto View Post
It's not a sensor. The issue is inside of the gauge cluster.
Quote:
It is not a bad speed sensor or the ECM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac14 View Post
What's the problem then?
Quote:
I already replied twice today in reference to this issue and solution.
no solution was given other than the problem is inside the gauge cluster. what specifically is causing the problem? and what is done to remedy it?

i read somewhere that the needle has a counterweight that needs to be adjusted, but i cannot find the thread.
timmy0tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-14, 11:17 PM   #123
clipster
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to say that I had the problem with the sticking speedo/tach on my 98, found this thread, and sent mine off to Tanin Auto. Couldn't have asked for better or faster service - was very pleased with this transaction.

No affiliation with them other than a highly satisfied customer - would definitely recommend.
clipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-14, 08:40 AM   #124
Michael
Driver

Default solution ro the sticking needle

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy0tool View Post
no solution was given other than the problem is inside the gauge cluster. what specifically is causing the problem? and what is done to remedy it?

i read somewhere that the needle has a counterweight that needs to be adjusted, but i cannot find the thread.
I think Mr Tanin knows the solution to the problem but does not want to share with us since this is what he does for profit. A trade secret, so do speak.

I fixed all of problems with the dash exception of this sticking needle problem. I have done much search on the net without a success.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-14, 02:40 PM   #125
sha4000
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I think Mr Tanin knows the solution to the problem but does not want to share with us since this is what he does for profit. A trade secret, so do speak.

I fixed all of problems with the dash exception of this sticking needle problem. I have done much search on the net without a success.
Did you read post #59 in this thread?

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls40...ml#post3378390
sha4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-15, 02:13 PM   #126
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by sha4000 View Post
Did you read post #59 in this thread?

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls40...ml#post3378390
Came across this old thread because I am also experiencing erratic behavior on my tach. Know anyone that tried RickyGee's technique with success? Thanks.
Hiroshi12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-15, 05:10 PM   #127
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

He probably does but given that they likely spent time and money to learn it and is running a business how is that a bad thing?
PureDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-15, 05:18 PM   #128
TaninAuto
Sponsor

People ask us all the time on every make and model, "well what did the tech do?"

"They fixed it!"

If we told people what we did, how we did it, how long it took us, the tools and parts we used then what would be the point of us doing it anymore? Even more so then that would open up a line of criticizing and critiquing how we do things the way we do and quite simply we don't have the time to address all of these questions over the phone. The phones ring all day long and we have three people answering them. It's the only way we can provide such excellent support and 1-3 day turnaround on most things.

Quite simply, if we described how to do it then people would still do it wrong and/or break their cluster. Then they would say, "well you told me to do this".

It's a path best left alone.

Old 06-03-15, 08:36 PM   #129
sha4000
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshi12 View Post
Came across this old thread because I am also experiencing erratic behavior on my tach. Know anyone that tried RickyGee's technique with success? Thanks.
Depending on what's wrong with your cluster I'm pretty sure lots of ppl tried his fix and got things in order. You will just have to try it yourself and let us know, good luck.
sha4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-15, 09:24 AM   #130
AkkilNash
Driver School Candidate

Default Is it fixed by replacing new sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPSTulane View Post
False Alarm. I believe it worked only for a short time is because my mechanic had my car parked in the extremely hot sun.
I guess it must be in the dash.
Oh well it worked for 1 day......
So is it fixed with a new sensor installation because my speedometer and Odometer stopped working previous day. It was a normal weather no hot climate. I even hit my dashboard several times but didn't work
AkkilNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-15, 02:54 PM   #131
jrtalbot
Driver School Candidate

Default A Permanent solution to Sticky Needles

Looking through these posts, I thought I would add my 2 cents worth of information. I have a 93 SC300 and had the intermittent sticking needle problem (worse in warm weather, banging on the dash would help). I thought perhaps it was something to do with the interior of the needle assembly having some sticky material on the interior stop. At rest, the needles would sit slightly below the zero point. I removed the cluster, separated the pieces and carefully drilled 2 very small holes very very very slightly below the zero point on each indicator dial (Tach and Speedo). I then inserted a 1/16 inch black steel roll pin in each hole and glued them in. It was necessary to snip the roll pins to length so they did not protrude through the back of the indicator board, but had enough length sticking out the front that the needles rested on these pins at zero. I was careful to use only enough length on the pins that they only protruded maybe 1/16th inch further out than the needles. These new "zero stop pins", I think prevented the needles from returning to their interior stop points. So basically I just gave the needles a new resting point. I was pretty sure this would work as I had previously put a couple of sticky rubber stops on the indicator board face and that worked for a few weeks. The pin solution is more permanent and has now worked for over 12 months.
jrtalbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-15, 07:05 PM   #132
dicer
Lexus Champion

Tanin is an okay place they do good work, and they also sell some parts. I would say for the average person just taking out the cluster or the climate control is a chore. And unless you have lots of cars that need the work done on, and live along ways from Tanin. It is way better to let them do the fixing work. For all that is involved doing either the cluster or the climate control, what Tanin charges is next to nothing. And if you do it yourself you do run the chance of goofing it up nice.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-15, 08:59 AM   #133
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicer View Post
Tanin is an okay place they do good work, and they also sell some parts. I would say for the average person just taking out the cluster or the climate control is a chore. And unless you have lots of cars that need the work done on, and live along ways from Tanin. It is way better to let them do the fixing work. For all that is involved doing either the cluster or the climate control, what Tanin charges is next to nothing. And if you do it yourself you do run the chance of goofing it up nice.
Thanks for the support!

That is the main thing really, on this issue. If someone doesn't know what they are doing, it ends up causing even more damage and headache.

We keep our prices low and turn around time fast- Anyone can contact us at any time for price quotes and questions. Always happy to help our ClubLexus friends!