LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How to fix your speedo needle when it does not work

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-08, 11:35 AM
OGLS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool speedo tach issue

I took my cluster out and took it apart, it seemed the needles were off the spring. I played with them for a little bit, moving them back and forth and noticed they were limp would just fall right down past zero. so after fiddling i noticed a click in the speedo and the tach. They were now firm so I placed them at zero and they stayed there the whole time during install. Been driving for a hundred miles everything is now at the right speed and rpms.
Old 06-22-08, 12:17 PM
designet1
Driver School Candidate

My speedometer always works, but the tach show 1/2 the expected RPM. Anyone else fixed that problem?
Old 09-02-08, 07:23 AM
ffcgary1
Driver School Candidate

Anyone been able to fix a fuel guage that is very lazy to show the correct fuel level, if i have a full tank it will only show 1/2 a tank then slowly move up to 3/4 and stop. I had the capacitors on the board replaced to fix the dark display but the fuel gauge is starting to bug me now.
Old 09-02-08, 05:50 PM
Gary Early
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ffcgary1
Anyone been able to fix a fuel guage that is very lazy to show the correct fuel level, if i have a full tank it will only show 1/2 a tank then slowly move up to 3/4 and stop. I had the capacitors on the board replaced to fix the dark display but the fuel gauge is starting to bug me now.
The fuel gauge level capacitors of interest are C142 and C147, both are on the big PC board for the instrument cluster. My recollection is that the C142 cap is a 4.7uF, 25V, and that the C147 cap is a 10uF, 50V cap.

I successfully replaced my C212 cap on the small PC board, and it cured 100% of my cold weather instrument light problem. The C212 cap was a 10 uF, 16V.

If you are technically inclined and good with a soldering iron, these fixes are a 10 minute job for about $3.00 in parts (or less). Getting the cluster out is the long pole on this deal--the Lexus techs know a few secrets about getting that accomplished which makes it much faster for them!

Good luck!
Old 09-11-08, 10:29 PM
jbart003
Driver School Candidate

Default I have a dead tach

My tachometer meter gave up on me awhile back, prob 2 months ago. i have a LS400 1990 and about 170kmi. is there a tach sensor part i could buy at autozone? Please get back at me? thanks a lot

Last edited by jbart003; 09-11-08 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-07-08, 08:24 AM
branko77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gary Early
The fuel gauge level capacitors of interest are C142 and C147, both are on the big PC board for the instrument cluster. My recollection is that the C142 cap is a 4.7uF, 25V, and that the C147 cap is a 10uF, 50V cap.

I successfully replaced my C212 cap on the small PC board, and it cured 100% of my cold weather instrument light problem. The C212 cap was a 10 uF, 16V.

If you are technically inclined and good with a soldering iron, these fixes are a 10 minute job for about $3.00 in parts (or less). Getting the cluster out is the long pole on this deal--the Lexus techs know a few secrets about getting that accomplished which makes it much faster for them!

Good luck!
I have succesfully changed all three capacitors and they are working very well so I have solved the non illuminating instrument display and fuel gauge problem in less than 30 minutes for the price of $2, but hey this is Serbia so it's much cheaper.
Anyway, thanks for the advice, it was very useful!

Last edited by branko77; 12-07-08 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-07-08, 09:05 AM
branko77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gymguy
You may have something here. I don't have this problem but while trouble shooting my flickering instrument light problem I noticed that the meters make contact with the power control board through screws and flat washers that connect to a large pad on the control board. As an engineer I have seen this kind of connection fail many times.

The problem is that the board has a different coefficient of expansion than the metal screws. This coupled with a little corrosion on the screw or pad will result in an open circuit between the board and meter. The problem gets worse the lower the voltage and current of the connection. In other words it takes a minimum amount of VA to break through the corrosion of the connection. One way to overcome the problem is to use a star washer or a spring washer under the screw. When you tighten these you dig into the board pad and form a gas tight connection that won't corrode. Also, the spring washer allows for the different rates of expansion and therefore maintains contact.

This is a good theory but I would have to try it out on a board experiencing this problem to be sure that it is a good fix. Perhaps someone can try it and let us know if it works.
I have tried to solve the problem with sticky needles as you advised and it didn't work. Have you found out something new in the mean time???
Old 02-10-09, 11:52 PM
kidoekid
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just picked up my first lexus ever yesterday, 93 LS400, and like the rest of you guys, im boarding the cluster issues ship. mine has the 2 issues where the RPM needle and the speed needle play dead when they feel like it, then wake right up at anytime =/

untill we have a solution, i shall tap away on the dash, lol
Old 02-19-09, 04:10 PM
ninjarico
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Ricky, I took apart the cluster (easier than I thought) and the instant I moved the speedo needle I could feel it stick. Took it apart, used the q-tip and works like a champ now.

Only downside is I broke the RPM needle in the process and while trying to super glue it together I snapped the inner part it was connected to oh well don't need it in an automatic I suppose LOL.
Old 02-24-09, 10:48 AM
420man361
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mojoda27
Thanks for the information, I was planing tp purchase the speed sensor from AutoZone.
Come to think of it, If the car is park outside on a sunny day the both speedometer and the tachometer works fine.
My feeling is it may be something else than the sensor. And since this a common occurence with LS400 ( I guess ).
What is Lexus ( Toyota ) take on this?
you can e-mail david ruberg at digitalguy_1@charter.net. i got my multiple problems fixed for about $200. not only fixed, but he upgrades the whole unit, so that you don't run into the same problems again a couple years down the road. quick tip....you can get his repair service cheaper if you buy it on ebay, u ship to him to him..took about a week for mine... then he pays to ship it back to you.
Old 03-06-09, 04:36 PM
SPhoto
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is there a way to fix this speedo problem on a 91 LS??
the needle aint working
Old 03-07-09, 11:07 PM
Twix
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your needle is not working what so ever (and your mileage counter as well) than your speed sensor (in the gearbox) is gone dead, and needs to be replaced...
Old 03-26-09, 10:51 AM
Tinkler
Driver School Candidate

My tach hasnt worked for almost two years now in my 1990 Celsior (LS400) it happened when i hit a curb pretty hard on the left side. The speedo works great and never sticks, but the tach hangs below zero and will move when the rpms get high enough. But it only reads a max of like 1000 rpms. which i know isnt true.

What are thoughts on this? did i knock the needle off the spring in the cluster or did i mess up some sensor? I havent been able to find the answer on any other forum ... so far.

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 03-31-09, 10:16 PM
Twix
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the needle is self is detached from the center of the needle assambly, and most probably you will find part of that neck broken...

If you have superglue, shouldn't be anything hard to fix (that happend with my temp gauge)...

Problem lies when people start hitting the dash to unstick the needles, then they brake on the axile, so you can't even see that it's broken...
Old 04-19-09, 12:08 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

To all members who dont know please note Cluster problems the best in business is Jim Walker who has been recommended by many even at Lexus dealers who cant afford the repairs, I was also a victim to this Cluster problem, Jim Walker who has done an excellent job in repairing mine, I had this problem exactly 5 years back and since then after he did the repairs, it has been stable till date. He live in Fresno CA. If you need to contact him the email is jimwalker@sbcglobal.net. He will send the complete instruction for removal and fitment. All you need is to send the Cluster to him. Believe me, he is just too good, from experience, I am sure other members who have taken his service will vouch for that.
The removal methd is also available on lexls.com
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/elect...ntcluster.html
cheers
The following users liked this post:
avhart (03-25-21)

Quick Reply: How to fix your speedo needle when it does not work