LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

So I'm picking up a 1994 LS400 with 98k miles on saturday.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-06, 07:52 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default So I'm picking up a 1994 LS400 with 98k miles on saturday.

Hey guys, I've been on this forum for a while - I used to have a 1994 GS300 which I replaced with a 01 GS430. Besides the GS I also have a Civic, which is my daily driver, but I am now replacing the Civic with the LS400, which will be my new daily driver.

I will be picking it up in Pompano Beach this coming saturday. It's a 94 with 98K miles, from the pictures seems to be in pristine shape. I know these cars can easily go for over 200k miles, but I'm sure that like with any car they require maintenance. So when I come to pick it up, what should I look for? What are some common problems on these vehicles?
Old 07-05-06, 07:58 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Some pictures...

Old 07-05-06, 08:10 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the leather looks awesome!
Old 07-05-06, 08:13 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I'll probably swap all existing emblems with gold emblems, and add LS400 emblem (why do most LS400's come without that emblem anyway?).

Also, Im gonna look into swapping that steering wheel with a leather one.
Old 07-05-06, 08:22 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Maintainance:
-Make sure Timing Belt was done.
-You didnt mention if it had A/S or not, so make sure it works and doesnt leak.
-make sure all the dials/gauges/lights work on the dash, these can get somewhat pricey to repair/replace.
-check for even tire wear, uneven wear suggest at the least a need for an alignment and at worst accident/frame damage.

and FYI, all LS' didnt come with LS400 badges until '95.
Old 07-05-06, 08:34 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Maintainance:
-Make sure Timing Belt was done.
I'm going to look into that, but if it was never done from what I understand it is no big deal if it breaks, the LS400 has a non interference engine which does not sustain damage after a timing belt break. If this is the case, I would rather drive it until I absolutely have to change it.

-You didnt mention if it had A/S or not, so make sure it works and doesnt leak.
I bought it from ebay, they don't state whether it has A/S or not. If it does, it could be replaced with regular shocks/springs in the future, right?

-make sure all the dials/gauges/lights work on the dash, these can get somewhat pricey to repair/replace.
Yep had that problem on my first gen GS, the lights on the gauge cluster would sometimes go on and off, and the needles did not light up. Not the biggest reason for concern, but annoying never the less.

-check for even tire wear, uneven wear suggest at the least a need for an alignment and at worst accident/frame damage.
I actually plan to take it for an oil change and alignment right after I drive it home. I happen to know of a very good alignment shop, probably the only alignment shop that wont leave the steering wheel croocked after alignment.

I'm also wondering how are suspension parts on the LS? I know GS are notorious for balljoints problems, I think the ball joints on my GS are pretty much due to be replaced. Is GS based on the LS platform at all? Do they share any components?
Old 07-05-06, 09:45 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

actually theres a lot of debate on the LS' 1UZ motor and whether or not it is an interference engine. do a search, shouldnt be TOO far back.

I bought it from ebay, they don't state whether it has A/S or not. If it does, it could be replaced with regular shocks/springs in the future, right?
it can be done but it wont be cheap unless u can find a wrecked car since ul need a few other parts besides the springs and shocks.

I'm also wondering how are suspension parts on the LS? I know GS are notorious for balljoints problems, I think the ball joints on my GS are pretty much due to be replaced. Is GS based on the LS platform at all? Do they share any components?
normally you have problems with bushings in the front susp and sometimes in the rear. most of the time its the control arm and sway bar bushings. search and check out www.lexls.com for tutorials/other common issues.
im pretty sure the chassis are completely different and few (if any) components aside from the motors (on a gs4) could be shared (and they didn't have gs400's back in 94)

Last edited by PureDrifter; 07-05-06 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-05-06, 10:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

actually theres a lot of debate on the LS' 1UZ motor and whether or not it is an interference engine. do a search, shouldnt be TOO far back.

it can be done but it wont be cheap unless u can find a wrecked car since ul need a few other parts besides the springs and shocks.

normally you have problems with bushings in the front susp and sometimes in the rear. most of the time its the control arm and sway bar bushings. search and check out www.lexls.com for tutorials/other common issues.
im pretty sure the chassis are completely different and few (if any) components aside from the motors (on a gs4) could be shared (and they did have gs400's back in 94)
They had a GS4 in 1994??? I never knew that! I would assume it wasn't really a GS4, was it Aristo?
Old 07-05-06, 11:02 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

they didn't. i made a typo x.x
Old 07-05-06, 11:32 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The car does not have air suspension, as evident from the pictures. Looks very clean though.
Old 07-06-06, 09:47 AM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

looks clean, good luck!
Old 07-06-06, 10:53 AM
NewLSlover
Pole Position

That LS is clean as hell, wow....looks like my leather. I just bought a 93 with 170K from an old character. The leather is cleaaaaaaaan.

Nice buy, man..good luck with it!

I had my timing belt changed as soon as I bought it, because from research/speaking to a Lexus mechanic I know, I found it is an interference engine, so if the timing belt goes.....it's baddddddd...So I splurged and paid the 400 for the timing belt/water pump swap...It's well worth it, rather than gambling and finding out the hard way it's not a non-interference engine.

Keep us updated on your ride!
Old 07-06-06, 03:48 PM
absolut
Pole Position

Check for power steering fluid underneath the engine. The PS pump on 1st gen LS's have a tendency to leak onto the alternator causing it to prematurely fail.
Old 07-06-06, 04:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MeanLex
It has a leather steering wheel. Do you mean a wood steering wheel?

A 94 is non-interference.

Paint color looks like it's a Dark Emerald Pearl.
Yeah, thats what I meant, wood steering wheel... Just makes everything look so much luxorious.
Old 07-06-06, 04:55 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by absolut
Check for power steering fluid underneath the engine. The PS pump on 1st gen LS's have a tendency to leak onto the alternator causing it to prematurely fail.
Thanks for the advice, will do.

Also, what is a good way of determining whether the odometer has been tampered with? The car has been owned by the same person from 94 to 2001, and only racked up 50,000 miles during that time. Sounds kind of low for 7 years, but it was in Delaware, which is a tiny state, so I guess it was driven for long distances.

Quick Reply: So I'm picking up a 1994 LS400 with 98k miles on saturday.