LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Hubcentric rings

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-06, 01:03 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Hubcentric rings

Can anyone give me suggestions on where to purchase hubcentric rings for my car. I have a 92 LSm and was told by the rim shop that I may possibly need them if I had vibration. He also stated to me that unfortunately he didn't have any and that I would possibly have to have them made. He gave me the diameter of the hub, foolishly I didn't write it down. My question is this, first I need to know the diameter of the hub for a 92 LS to the mm if possible, and also I need to know where to order the rings. I have a few members from the NELOC forum with SC's and GS's that say that they have them but are not sure if they will fit my car. Need to know the bore. If the bore numbers match for either the GS or the SC, then i have my fellow neloc brothers who tell me that I am welcome to them. Help!!!
Old 05-24-06, 01:13 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

TM Engineering sells plastic hub centric rings.

www.tmengineering.net
(310) 537-6800
todd@tmengineering.net
Old 05-24-06, 01:28 PM
kalbo_1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any local tire center that sells aftermarket wheels should have them. I got mine from Leschwab Tire Center for $6 and some change. Good luck!
Old 05-24-06, 01:43 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Originally Posted by kalbo_1
Any local tire center that sells aftermarket wheels should have them. I got mine from Leschwab Tire Center for $6 and some change. Good luck!
Thanks guys, see this is why I love this forum. The local shop I went to said that they didn't hav e any and a few others tried to rip me off. I think the highest price I was given was $100 for them. I think those were metal one's though.
Old 05-24-06, 01:54 PM
kalbo_1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$100 for metal ones are even expensive! If you can wait just order them either through ebay/online or one of your local tire shops get them for you.

If you get too much of a vibration at high speeds, I would really refrain from driving too much until you get the rings. What's gonna happen is, with all that vibration and shaking in the front end, you'll just end up wearing out everything in the suspension faster.

I know exactly what I'm talking about because I went through that nightmare fitting wheels onto my 97'. 12 sets later, and a chewed up caliper, I finally found wheels that "Fit" properly!
Old 05-24-06, 02:07 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

I only get a very slight vibration between 60 and 75. Car itself is not shaking, I just feel the vibration in the wheel. Smooth as glass after that. My car is generally a parking lot queen since I drive trucks long distance for a living. Just wanted to get them ordered while I am away.
Old 05-24-06, 02:22 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Let us know if simply adding these rings changes anything (without re-balancing the tires or anything else). My opinion is that the rings will not make any difference at all, UNLESS your wheels are of some unusual aftermarket type or poorly constructed such that they are not centered by the lug studs/nuts the way most quality wheels are. What I'm saying is that with quality-built wheels, the wheels are running as 'hubcentric' as they can be, due simply to the way that the lug nuts fit down into precision, counter-sunk bosses in the wheel.

My guess is that the tires/wheels are out of round (most likely the tires), or not properly balanced (most likely cause of your problems). You can check the out-of-round possibility by jacking the car up and spinning the tire and gauging the run-out. Be sure to drive it first to get rid of any flat-spots that might have developed from sitting a while.

Originally Posted by trukn1
I only get a very slight vibration between 60 and 75. Car itself is not shaking, I just feel the vibration in the wheel. Smooth as glass after that. My car is generally a parking lot queen since I drive trucks long distance for a living. Just wanted to get them ordered while I am away.
Old 05-25-06, 10:47 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Originally Posted by I6turbo
Let us know if simply adding these rings changes anything (without re-balancing the tires or anything else). My opinion is that the rings will not make any difference at all, UNLESS your wheels are of some unusual aftermarket type or poorly constructed such that they are not centered by the lug studs/nuts the way most quality wheels are. What I'm saying is that with quality-built wheels, the wheels are running as 'hubcentric' as they can be, due simply to the way that the lug nuts fit down into precision, counter-sunk bosses in the wheel.

My guess is that the tires/wheels are out of round (most likely the tires), or not properly balanced (most likely cause of your problems). You can check the out-of-round possibility by jacking the car up and spinning the tire and gauging the run-out. Be sure to drive it first to get rid of any flat-spots that might have developed from sitting a while.
My rims and tires are less than a week old. Yes it is true that my car will sit for extended periods of time, but the situation I am describing developed within the first 2 days after mount. TIres are brand new, wheels were balanced with Hunter 9700 balancer (thanks club lex for advice). As far as out of round possibility, I have already had that checked. Will post to let you all know if the rings help any.
Old 05-26-06, 06:39 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Tires can sometimes go out of balance for no obvious reason. I had as set of Pirellis a few years ago and those Pieces of $chit would stay balanced for about 500 miles, then start hopping again. After about 4 or 5 re-balances I finally told the dealer to toss them in the dumpster if he had to, but put some Michelins on. I put about 20K miles on the Michelins before selling the car and they never needed re-balancing. (The dealer was kind enough to give me a full refund for the garbage Pirellis.)

So, you might want to have the tires re-balanced now that you have a few miles on 'em. I know of a couple tire shops that make that a regular practice -- they say that lots of tires can't be balanced properly until they have a few miles on them. I don't know if that's true or not, but I doubt that they'd go to the extra trouble (at their expense) unless it was necessary.

Originally Posted by trukn1
My rims and tires are less than a week old. Yes it is true that my car will sit for extended periods of time, but the situation I am describing developed within the first 2 days after mount. TIres are brand new, wheels were balanced with Hunter 9700 balancer (thanks club lex for advice). As far as out of round possibility, I have already had that checked. Will post to let you all know if the rings help any.
Old 05-26-06, 06:57 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

good thought, I will give that a shot.
Old 05-26-06, 07:08 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

yo trukn1 check that rim shop in college park on route 1near to cherry hill you can't miss it the front is bright yellow they sold me the plastic ones for $40.
Old 05-26-06, 07:22 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Originally Posted by cherplex
yo trukn1 check that rim shop in college park on route 1near to cherry hill you can't miss it the front is bright yellow they sold me the plastic ones for $40.
cool, I think I know exactly where you're talking about. Might be home this weekend, dispatch can't make up their minds about weather there is work or not to do this weekend. Will swing by there and pick some up. Will hit you and Smitty up later this evening if I am able to make it home so we can meet up, or at least get a few drinks. Gotta see the ES and the SC in person.
Old 05-26-06, 07:28 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

SC isn't ready for showing I may not make it out tonite mz plex is in town got to take care of her
Old 05-26-06, 08:40 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Originally Posted by cherplex
SC isn't ready for showing I may not make it out tonite mz plex is in town got to take care of her
Bow wow baby!!!! Bow Wow!!!!!
Old 06-05-06, 05:52 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI, my local shop installed plastic rings for free and since then they have not been shaking. I have less expensive tires (Nitto 555 versus my preferred Michelins). They torqued the wheels in the air after balancing them on a road force balancing machine (applies actual pressure to wheel as it spins). The tech said that sometimes the rim doesn't seat right with just the lug holes and that is why the rings often help. He also said there is always a heavy spot in both the tire and the rim and the road force machine isolates this whereas the standard spinning machine does not.

Maybe my wheels are kind of cheap too but the look pretty good and didn't break the bank