LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

shifting manualy - bad for the car???

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-05, 09:45 PM
LEXkid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifting manualy - bad for the car???

just got my Lex and coming from a manual its brutal!

How bad is to to hold it to redline or whatever rpm, gently ease of the gas and then bump it up into 2nd or D so it upshifts?

Likewise while downshifting.... Nothing too aggresive I'm not a madman., but If I am gentle, and slowly shift it back to 2nd or L

Is it gonna f*** up my tranny if i do this all the time??
Old 06-23-05, 11:41 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

im sure it will put some additional wear and tear on the tranny. If you really must do it, then I suggest installing a tranny cooler, and changing your old tranny fluild. These trannys are very well built, you just have to maintain them. Enjoy the ride.

Last edited by GRAND_LS 4; 06-24-05 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-24-05, 07:29 AM
CELICA XX
Rookie

Originally Posted by LEXkid
just got my Lex and coming from a manual its brutal!

How bad is to to hold it to redline or whatever...
Why did you buy a Lexus?
Old 06-24-05, 08:45 AM
LEXkid
Driver School Candidate

Because I've always wanted one and its a great car. Why did you buy yours Celica? We are all dying to know lol

Grand_LS - good advice thanks!
Old 06-24-05, 01:14 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe the celica is not all he bought.
Old 06-24-05, 02:14 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Because I've always wanted one and its a great car. Why did you buy yours Celica? We are all dying to know lol

Grand_LS - good advice thanks!

hahaha, your welcome.
Old 06-24-05, 08:00 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Are you shifting an automatic???
Old 06-25-05, 07:17 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

You have to understand the way this tranny shifts is well even with sport mode engaged its still suited for luxury so it doesnt shift at its most optimums rpms. especially from first to 2nd where it falls out of its powerband completely.

Eh.. not really not unless proper maintenance is done like stated above. Ive been doing it... since I owned the damn car (over 2 years.) No signs of tear and wear, haha I hate this tranny I cant wait till this car becomes a 5 speed so I even brake torque launch it on occasion.

I bought this lexus because this chassis its outstanding is downright solid its a freaking tank... and a proven sunfire killer (guy that rear ended me totally destroyed his car where I drove home...), easily the strongest point of this car! And I can see this thing becoming a very long term track monster with this chassis once you get rid of the automatic tranny, stock suspension, brakes wheels and tires, and put some sort of forced induction in addition to getting rid about say oh 300 lbs. The weakest point of a automatic SC300 is the tranny. I dont have any proof but I firmly believe this chassis would be extremely stable at very high speeds with the proper suspension, and tire setup and any needed miscellanious mods. ... 140 felt ... great, like 90.

I personally believe due to the longer wheel base with some extensive modifications I could out do a supra as a roadcourse car. And not have to pay supra insurance prices for it. Also I like it that it has more interior room and more practicality then a supra, true eventually making this car perform like a supra will cost as much as getting a supra if not more. I also like the entry fee for obtaining one, prices of this car have halfed since I bought mine making it easier to replace in case of another misshap.

I hate the way the car drives at times (tranny.) But I love the car and even in stock trim (daily driver) I have a found a way to hold my own with it in the twisties although this great chassis is severely limited by its stock suspension, wheels and tires and transmission, (brakes are actually adequate for stock, Rarely has it ever faded on me!.) By driving the same way youd drive any heavy or understeer prone car, with deep late braking, rather late apexing (slow in ..... and gasing it out.), and a slight dosage of trailbraking and throttle modulation to counter the understeer. And although I used to preffer a car to have oversteer tendecies rather then understeer I have found more predictable to deal with the understeer then the oversteer... (I used to have the better tires in the front till I changed the rear ones..) Sure if you put it against a more nimble lighter car with decent of tires physics will take its course and hell hand me my ***, but I see great potential on this car.

And I enjoy driving this car immensely even though you cant toss it around like I could with my 240sx (coilovers and tires and manual and misc.)

Last edited by Inabj2; 06-25-05 at 07:21 AM.
Old 06-25-05, 07:39 AM
LEXkid
Driver School Candidate

^^^^^^^^^^ Exactly a man after my own heart!

I bought the Lexus cuz its so damn sweet, but I also wanna have my cake and eat it too. controling my own shifts is a way to get a lot more performance out of it.

I wish they had a Manual LS400 How much would a conversion cost???
Old 06-25-05, 09:46 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

^^^^^^^^^^ Exactly a man after my own heart!

I bought the Lexus cuz its so damn sweet, but I also wanna have my cake and eat it too. controling my own shifts is a way to get a lot more performance out of it.

I'd say maybe a couple thousand.
Old 06-25-05, 10:47 AM
LEXkid
Driver School Candidate

That would be sweet What tranny is compatible? SC300 tranny?
Old 06-25-05, 11:01 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

That would be sweet What tranny is compatible? SC300 tranny?
Well what year is the Lexus? It might be the SC400, since they have the same engines. Does anyone know if the 01-03 LS have the same engines as the 98-00 LS models?
Old 06-25-05, 01:08 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

The 01+ LS's have different motors (1UZ to 3UZ) so it is doubtful that the trannies would fit. Neither Toyota nor Lexus has ever made a Manual Tranny for the 1UZ or 3UZ series of engines. that includes the SC4 and GS4

-Annant
Old 06-25-05, 04:16 PM
CELICA XX
Rookie

Umm, if thats your first question, its far beyond your scope to complete that project.

Just a couple days on the forum, you can really tell who has no idea what they're talking about.
Old 06-25-05, 04:51 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CELICA XX
Umm, if thats your first question, its far beyond your scope to complete that project.

Just a couple days on the forum, you can really tell who has no idea what they're talking about.
Well I mean there are conversion kits and I was thinking of some that toyota makes for cars such as your celica that are in the thousand range. I thought the SC400 might have been a manual transmission because it's more sporty, and he could take a transmission out of one of those since they were the same engines.

Quick Reply: shifting manualy - bad for the car???