LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Headlamps - Auto Off? 92 LS 400

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-06, 07:40 PM
suloh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlamps - Auto Off? 92 LS 400

Does the 92 LS 400 have an auto off feature for those that forgets to turn off the headlamp?

I have forgotten to turn off the headlamps quite a few times - somehow the bright display makes me forget the the headlamps are still on. Usually, the next morning, when I go to my car, headlamps are off but the car starts with no problem. This lead me to believe that the car might have some battery saver function that cuts off power to headlamps once the battery drops below a certain voltage.

However, the car started not being able to start when I leave the headlamps on overnight by mistake.

What is the world is going on??
Old 05-12-06, 08:22 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by suloh
Does the 92 LS 400 have an auto off feature for those that forgets to turn off the headlamp?

I have forgotten to turn off the headlamps quite a few times - somehow the bright display makes me forget the the headlamps are still on. Usually, the next morning, when I go to my car, headlamps are off but the car starts with no problem. This lead me to believe that the car might have some battery saver function that cuts off power to headlamps once the battery drops below a certain voltage.

However, the car started not being able to start when I leave the headlamps on overnight by mistake.

What is the world is going on??
You may have another problem going on there. I have a 92 myself and my lights go off when I remove the key from the ignition, if I don't turn them off. I have a feeling that something else is pulling constant drain off of that battery.
Old 05-12-06, 08:41 PM
suloh
Rookie

The thing is that my headlamps do not turn off when I pull the key from the ignition.

This all makes sense now. The is probably a relay that turns of the headlamp when you remove the key from the ignition even if your headlamps are on. Perhaps that relay is not working which results on my battery draining,

Anyone out there know which relay we are talking about? And where that relay is????

Thanks

Originally Posted by trukn1
You may have another problem going on there. I have a 92 myself and my lights go off when I remove the key from the ignition, if I don't turn them off. I have a feeling that something else is pulling constant drain off of that battery.
Old 05-12-06, 08:55 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

That relay may be in the drivers door on the side pillar, I never really paid that much attention to it. I know that when I pull my key out of the ignition and/or open the drivers door, all lights go out. It has become such a smooth progression to me that I never really noticed before. Have door sensor relay checked.
Old 05-12-06, 09:49 PM
suloh
Rookie

Just went out to check. Yes, the headlamps go off the moment I pull out the key and open the door. Question is why does the light stay on sometimes. Could be the door sensors not working. Any other triggers that may turn on the headlamps? How about the alarm system.
Old 05-12-06, 11:12 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

With the auto sytem on, the lights are switched off when the door is opened. They will only come back on (In normal functioning) when you manually turn the light switch on the stalk or by sensor when the ignition switch is <ON>. I usually leave my lights on so it is activated by the ignition being <ON>. I dunno why the engineers designed the lights this way but it has been a feature as far back as my '85 MX73 Cressida.
Old 05-13-06, 04:06 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Just went out to check. Yes, the headlamps go off the moment I pull out the key and open the door. Question is why does the light stay on sometimes. Could be the door sensors not working. Any other triggers that may turn on the headlamps? How about the alarm system.
Like I said before, you may have another problem going on there. The interior light stays on for a few moments after the last door is shut and then fades off. This is a security feature in most cars today that allows you to scan who is in the car and leave quickly if you need to. If your alarm is brand new or if any recent audio/video equipment has been added to your car recently and they have not been grounded properly then that may be the culprit that is drawing constant power from your battery. Other than that
Old 05-13-06, 10:27 AM
absolut
Pole Position

Nope, I think it's a little more simple than that. I have this same problem and I've narrowed the problem down to the door sensor sometimes being "sticky". By sticky I mean when it is pushed in (car senses door is closed) it does not come out all-the-way when the door is opened so, the car still thinks the door is closed.
Old 05-13-06, 10:54 AM
suloh
Rookie

This would be the same sensor that activates the interior lights right??

There is no other drain on the battery except when I accidentally leave the headlamps on and the Auo Off function is not working..
Old 05-13-06, 09:30 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 93 and my lights dont turn off when i remove the key from the ignition... they turn off when i open the door...
Old 05-14-06, 10:31 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

This would be the same sensor that activates the interior lights right??

There is no other drain on the battery except when I accidentally leave the headlamps on and the Auo Off function is not working..
Yes that would be the sensor that activates the interior lights when you open the door.
Old 05-16-06, 06:45 PM
1jz68u
Driver School Candidate

if you open the door with the ignition on the lights will stay on. they will only go out if you take the key out first.
Old 05-17-06, 09:15 AM
Slow13sGA
Rookie

Yeah, I've also left my lights on thinking they've shut off automatically. Good thing I've been fortunate enough that my car has been able to start after every instance. I've also had problems with my dome light not turning on when my door is open so these two must be linked together. I'll have to check that sensor in the door that you guys have been talking about. Where is it located?
Old 05-17-06, 09:44 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

cant remember exact location. open door, feel along the door frame on the car, not the door, towards the closest to the back of the front seat. You should feel a button like object the protrudes from the frame and gives way when you push on it. that is the sensor.
Old 05-20-06, 08:33 AM
5ofakind
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are pics of the door sensor

See attached

Quick Reply: Headlamps - Auto Off? 92 LS 400