LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Need help picking my lexus

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-06, 08:59 PM
L3000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help picking my lexus

Hello all, im new here and im very interested in buying a ls400 or a sc400. I have about 3-6k to spend on it. Anyone have any good deals on any of these models. Even if i could finance the car that would be ok. Any details about what year i should get and if my decision is retarded is totaly ok lol. My first car was a 96 camery le, and i need a upgrade from that, maybe something allitle faster, would be great. Thanks guys.

btw im in FL so if anyone is selling there car here i might be interested, hit me up Lekcamaj@gmail.com
Old 05-12-06, 06:45 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're looking for something faster than I would say go with the SC, as there are alot of members doing sick things with these cars. If you're going for that VIP look then go with the LS (I would suggest 98 and up). I own a 92 myself but love the look of the 98. Keep in mind that the LS will be faster than the Camry you're coming out of however this car is no power rocket either. Faster,,yes.....track breaking,,,,, uh NO!!!! I think your decision should be based upon what you're trying to do with the car. For sick mods and fast speed SC, for VIP style with a little more speed but alot more weight then LS. Good luck and keep us posted on your decision.
Old 05-12-06, 11:50 AM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3-6k he's not getting a 98 and up...let alone a 95 and up LS. He'd be stuck with an early model LS or SC. Plus, with a budget like that, he'd better have cash reserves for maintenance/fixes. These cars aren't cheap.

Scott
Old 05-12-06, 03:31 PM
biglexass
Lead Lap

lec what up bro sorry i dod not call you.what it all comes down to is this.how you drive and how much money you have to pimp it out.keep in mind that sc parts are costly but much cheaper than ls parts(aftermarket)the ls is a hole differt car with pros and cons.maybe this weekend i will tak eyou on a test drive. see you in class
Old 05-12-06, 06:44 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Originally Posted by sonyman
3-6k he's not getting a 98 and up...let alone a 95 and up LS......Scott
I'm pretty sure that he know that already. I thought that I read that he was even willing to finance and use the $ he has as a down payment.. In any regards, an old Lex, a new Lex is still a Lex. Best advice is to get what you can afford and as sonyman stated , take into account that these cars are not cheap both in parts nor maintenance.
Old 05-26-06, 08:56 PM
L3000
Driver School Candidate

Talking repair

It seems that the ls400, as far as i can see is a very sound car, and is very reliable. Parts arent cheap for any car, how much more could they be on a lexus, and older lexus like a 94 ls400 ? if seems that with regular maintenice these cars will last well past 200,000 miles ( frequent oil change, and fluids) i dont see many major parts being broken with these models. (from what i have read online) My camry. hasnt had a problem, only fluids have been changed, and the regular dealer checkup. I also have a 98 corolla that my parents ran for over 15,000 miles without changing the oil, and it still runs fine, never a hickup at all. if you guys could please explain to me major flaws in this model of lexus, im not exactly rich, but my new job at harris starts at $16 an hour i start in june, and im only 17. so that will help quite a bit for financing wise lol. thanks for the impute.

later
Old 05-26-06, 09:49 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

At that price point, unless you enjoy maintenance, I'd say stay away. The car will have plenty of miles and you'll likely just get your feet wet before the increasing maintenace of aging components motivates you toward another-newer car. If you had upwards of $10K, that would put you in a better percentage for less problems. (Not always) It will take some dilligence to find nice samples.

IMO
Old 05-27-06, 04:44 AM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by L3000
It seems that the ls400, as far as i can see is a very sound car, and is very reliable. Parts arent cheap for any car, how much more could they be on a lexus, and older lexus like a 94 ls400 ? if seems that with regular maintenice these cars will last well past 200,000 miles ( frequent oil change, and fluids) i dont see many major parts being broken with these models. (from what i have read online) My camry. hasnt had a problem, only fluids have been changed, and the regular dealer checkup. I also have a 98 corolla that my parents ran for over 15,000 miles without changing the oil, and it still runs fine, never a hickup at all. if you guys could please explain to me major flaws in this model of lexus, im not exactly rich, but my new job at harris starts at $16 an hour i start in june, and im only 17. so that will help quite a bit for financing wise lol. thanks for the impute.

later
"how much more could they be on a lexus"--Let me clue you in- A LOT more. The age of the car has nothing to do with it. If you want OEM parts for it then you still have to cough up the big bucks. The only way around that is cheap aftermarket replacement parts that aren't nearly as good. Some parts, however, can only be found at the dealership! Oh, and if you're set on getting a Lexus to show all your Teeter buddies how cool you are, perhaps you should look at an ES300 since most mechanical parts crossover with the camry.

Scott

Last edited by sonyman; 05-27-06 at 04:48 AM.
Old 05-27-06, 07:20 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Parts arent cheap for any car, how much more could they be on a lexus, and older lexus like a 94 ls400 ?
Wow!!!! Undestatement of the year. Yes it is true that parts are not cheap on any car, you have to understand that when people see the big "L" on your grill, automatically it is assumed that you got money and that is not always the case. From the women on the streete that you drive by, to the mechanic that you take your car to for service Lexus (stereotypically) = $$$$$. parts can get really expensive for these cars. How's $1500 to change the starter grab you????? On the Toyota's it is easy to change, I've had several Camry's myself, on a Lexus, the entire top end of the car has to be dismanteld. Do some research, talk to the local mechanics, check parts prices for these cars and you may change your tune. The easiest, by far because alot of the parts convert directly over from the Camry, would be the ES. Ownership of these cars is an expensive habit, but you gotta pay to play.
Old 05-27-06, 10:20 PM
L3000
Driver School Candidate

Default ls400

lol its seems like you guys dont want me to get it lol! i understand what your trying to get at. ill look into parts a bit more, and ill talk to my camry mechanic about repair work on a lexus, and a es300, i might as well spend money on parts for my toyota than buy that, its a camry with a different symbol., same performance, and about the same interior.

o and "Teeter buddies how cool you are, perhaps you should look at an ES300 since most mechanical parts crossover with the camry." lol i start college in 2 months, i know no one here lol. the only reason im intrested in buying one is because my grandparents have one, and my parents had a es300, but like i said before es is not me. so trust me no buddies to impress.

thanks guys.

Last edited by L3000; 05-27-06 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-28-06, 06:14 AM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

I'm just trying to look out for you before you dig a deep financial hole. Search a bit for the kind of repairs we've had to go through and you'll see how much even minor ones have cost.

Scott
Old 05-28-06, 12:59 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Definitely stay away from the mass "life time guaranteed" stuff form the parts places. A high percentage are not to spec and this will cause problems. So that leaves factory parts which as the others have stated are $$. There are resources to finding them at good prices and the vendors here are among the better. If you have a trusted Toyota/Lexus mechanic, you are in a good spot.

However, maintaing the car in the later years will be costly. P&S pumps, A/C, suspension...can add up very quickly.
Old 05-28-06, 08:25 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

damn....why are you guys discouraging the guy from getting a lexus.....well..its very hard to even get a clean 94 for under 6k so most prolly you will be getting a 92 or a 91....if anything goes wrong with the car get a jap motor from the local japanese motor importer for about 800 bucks and swap all the parts needed as needed and save money....some one in here said the whole top needs to come off to change the starter...can you explain..what top? what model? why? have you ever worked on cars? i work on these cars on a regular basis and im not sure what you mean by the whole top needs to come off!!
Old 05-29-06, 02:53 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

If the starter goes south, the intake plenum is removed to gain access. The 1UZ in this particular design is a PITA. Fortunately, most us will not have this issue or if so, once in the time of ownership. Not a big deal. The rest is regular maintenance.

While these cars have the capability to be driven many miles...enough owners after 150K get slack because they know a new car is emminent for them. People buying at this stage may have many service issues.

I know enough owners who sell off their cars before the major is done from 80-100K. (Timing belt, fuild change...) So anyone buying the car here is looking at another $1,500 for that service.
The attitude of some leasing also get slack because they will be trading in soon.

So if he can find a one owner seller with a good service history, the odds are better. At 12 years, people who bought the Lexus initially most likely have resources to buy another and may not hold the car that long. (I have a doctor friened who buys cars at 200K mile intervals but his type are far and few at that income level.)

High ends cars for $6K are likely going to be third or fourth owner level. I'd be cautious. Now buying a Honda Accord class car for $6K will be an much easier find.

Of course, YMMV.
Old 05-30-06, 12:09 AM
L3000
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb what about this

This seems like a good deal what do you lads think about it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

its ebay item # 4642761513 incase the link doesnt work.

very low miles for its age, kinda ugly color, but i can live with it. and 1995 was the new engine for lexus, a 260hp instead of 250, plus a 5 speed automatic, instead of the 4 speed, and a slightly different front grille.

thanks for all of your help guys in picking my next car, i went over to the toyota/lexus dealership, and something caught my eye, it was a 2005 scion tc, now i know its a scion, but it has a slightly better power to weight ration than a ls400, comes in manual, and modestly priced. lol i know its a totaly different car, but its not yet out of the question. i guess ive broadened my quest. thanks.

Quick Reply: Need help picking my lexus